Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Does anybody know if there's a website that has high-quality versions of Criterion artwork for download? Preferably without the blu-ray stickers and stuff.

Criterion.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I really hope they get more Kurosawa out. It's been a while, and the man's films are fantastic.

I feel like they've just gotta be waiting to get Ran back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was only going to get City Lights cause it's out of print, but said gently caress it and just got all the Chaplin stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cloks posted:

It's available on the Criterion website, where did you hear this?

It was unavailable for a year as recently as yesterday, at least every time i checked for it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Foam Monkey posted:

Got the Bruce Lee boxset, Tokyo Drifter, and Tokyo Olympiad. The last two are blind guys, but I figured it can’t hurt to try something new.

You should have gotten Tokyo Story instead of the Lee set and told everyone you were very confused what order the trilogy was supposed to go in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

https://youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alec Eiffel posted:

Bourgeois director has bourgeois affectation

Look at what thread you're in before throwing stones from your glass living room.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Am I correct that The Cameraman is currently the only Buster Keaton film in the collection?

Yes, at least that's out on blu-ray.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What's the chance that the Chungking Express criterion comes back in print...even if we don't get a full Wong box?

The Wong box is confirmed as coming. I doubt that original version of CE ever comes back though. If they do separate releases for everything it will almost certainly be this new version on the disc.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does this set have the original color grading or just that new George Lucas style garbage he made?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Genuine question: how do we know the digital encoding of the DVDs and older Blu-Rays are truer to the original films than these new ones?

You can compare it to theatrical prints.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is the entire movie green or just that scene?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Fixed WKW box when

This is the official, director approved version, unfortunately.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

wong box is the nicest piece of physical media i've ever laid my hands on

It's complete trash. The latch is made of cardboard and is going to peel very quickly, ruining the inside and outside art, and the fold out is as long as the alien DVD set from back in the day, meaning when unfolded, is longer than my coffee table. Between the cheap, poorly thought out box and the dumbass changes to the films, this is maybe the worst criterion release I own.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Box of Frogs posted:

I, too, completely unfold my entire box set to watch one movie

If you need to get to any movie but the inner most two, I'd love to see what trick you use to not unfold it. Fold out poo poo sucks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's why George Lucas sucks and everyone hates him, just not quite as egregious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's true; you are the gatekeeper of your own experience. For the 90% of people who now have access to this catalogue of films at what is less than $30 each, who would probably never bother to notice some minor changes had been made here and there, good tidings. For those individuals who seek the absolute purity of expression, happiness dependent on strict adherence to the original vision in their memory, who must now trudge through the grey market of $50-100 versions in order to feel at ease, good tidings as well.

Why are you being such a weirdo about this? We all get it, you prefer the Star Wars Special Editions and don't give a poo poo about film history or preservation. You can shut up now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's funny that you can post such glaring hyperbole and call me weird. Actually, just because you disagree with me doesn't give you the right to run me out of the thread. Maybe calm down.

We understand you like the current versions. No one has ever said you can't. No one is even saying they're objectively bad. You on the other hand keep posting about it like the idea of multiple cuts of a film being included in a $200 box set, or at the very least making those other versions officially and easily available, is unreasonable and a crazy idea. No one is trying to drive you out of the thread. Just shut up about this one thing that no one is ever going to change your opinion on, and you've made your position on clear multiple times.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What the gently caress are they doing over there?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Watching Klute after blind buying it over a year ago. This movie rules.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Does the US edition of World of Wong Kar-wai also have this bizarre thing going on where every page of the included book is also a sleeve, even the ones without art cards in? Never seen anything like it before. It’s funny that they also have art on the inside that you can barely see

Yes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

No not at all. They are both pieces of poo poo, but in the eyes of the law one is guilty and the other is a fugitive. I think it’s also how dc comics has removed all of his work from their digital stores and cancelled reprints but with criterion they did nothing. The fact it’s a kid movie makes it feel even grosser

In the eyes of the law they're both guilty cause Polanski was found guilty and only flead before sentencing. You don't know what you're even talking about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does Zatoichi not even have a page on B&Ns site anymore?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Watch Criterion license THX 1138 entirely so it can be #1138, but they couldn't be bothered to make #1100 Citizen Kane or at least something significant. Then again, 600 was Anatomy of a Murder, 700 was Fantastic Mr. Fox, 800 was The Graduate.

Other than being disappointed that Uncut Gems is on its second US release without a UHD, even if it absolutely should have been a Criterion release to begin with, pretty amazing month. High Sierra, The Incredible Shrinking Man, and Onibaba are definites. Maybe also Devi since I've wanted to see more Ray (loved the Apu Trilogy, liked The Music Room).

They've never done anything traditionally special with "big" numbers. 100 was a Beastie boys music video collection, for example.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

poo poo, that list is not actually representative of my movie tastes at all. It's just Criterion Collection movies I could think of off the top of my head. And the whole point was to get random recommendations based on other people's taste to find stuff I might not otherwise consider.

Nevermind, this didn't go as I thought it would.

It is nice to know Barry Lyndon wasn't the movie I thought it was. I did wonder why the guy on the cover had a gun.

What are just some movies you like, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love criterion but if they go over $40 for these I'm probably out. They already charge too much, and I just can't justify more than that for a single movie that's not a big rear end Arrow style collectors edition.