Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would pay so much money for a Criterion GoodBurger.

I'd love to see Criterion handle Funky Forest and Violent poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

While we're on the topic of ironic Criterions,

Kindergarden Cop would be a day one buy for me but I'd love...

Goodburger

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm partially deaf, and I'm pretty annoyed regarding their stance on subs. Should we all just email their customer service one day?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

zandert33 posted:

For Christmas I got a copy of the Zatoichi set (which I justified in ordering during the B&N sale by telling my wife to put it away for me), this is seriously a beautiful set. I didn't dig into any of it yet, but it's so nicely put together, it's just such a nice piece. Criterion really took it to the next level with this one.

Yeah, if anyone loves samurai/Japanese old set movies, it's really really hard to go wrong with the Zaotichi set. I grabbed it for $140 off Amazon, and it has (custom made?) artwork all over the box and the book that it comes with, and the book holding the dvds/blurays! It's really insane and pretty.

Also, really looking forward to that Hidden Fortress too.

Would anyone recommend picking up Ran/Kagamusha/Rashomon if I enjoyed Zatoichi? Going to try at least watch all of Zatoichi first before picking up another Criterion.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot Ran is a Studio Canal release.

What are some good non-Japanese Criterions to buy? All the ones I have are Japanese, and if I add Yojimbo/Sanjuro, then yeah, even more. Might be nice to have some variety, and to see some other styles of filmmaking.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Keep those recommendations coming. It's nice to explore a side of filmmaking that aren't trying to be summer blockbusters, or Oscar bait.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Any chance someone has a copy of the qatsi trilogy bluray they're looking to sell?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

Cross posting from the DVD deal thread..

I already have the zatoichi collection (seriously, if anyone wants all 25 zatoichi films, the box is 105 bucks).

Would anyone personally recommend any of the other films?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I can't blame Criterion for going with the most cost-effective solutions, but I really hate that they've gone dual format. It's just wasted shelf space for me.

Is it even wasted shelf space? My copy of The Hidden fortress which is dual format takes up as much space as my copy of Cronos or Quadrophenia.

The zatoichi set may have been a little smaller without it, but that's an insane set spanning 25 films. It was going to be a big box anyway.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Please bump the thread once scanners is out so I can remember to grab it on the sale.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Any thoughts on Hidden Fortress, Devil's Backbone, and Cronos? I dig GDT's other films, but I've never seen those two.

Just buy the hidden fortress. No regrets!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

My haul was

A hard days night (it seems to be really hard to resist for everyone here its a nice big box for 20 bucks and it's the Beatles!)
Sansho the bailiff
The game
Harakiri

Any other recommendations? I'm still picking up scanners later. Also I didn't see videodrome. Any chance they might restock during the sale or will I just have to order it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Slate Action posted:

I've heard about this; apparently they're working on it and the film should be safe to buy in a 'few weeks.' They're also doing replacements, with the same time frame.

I think the Eraserheads are out of stock at TCM. Do you think they'll restock with the new edition and send those out?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

robix smash posted:

B&N just sent out a Thanksgiving/Black Friday 30% off code. Not sure if it works with Criterion, but I don't see why not since all of the other ones have worked. It's just a generic code: BFRIDAY14
While I was setting up my Plex server I came to find that most movies ever made have a fake Criterion cover. Not necessarily a bad thing, just strange.

Oh man, if this code works, I'm gonna spend so much money on Criterions alone.

I assume what they'll do is make the code work on the sale price of Criterions. So it'd be 30% off the 20 dollars the Criterions are, making them about 14 bucks.

If it worked off the MSRP, I think it'd take each movie down to 8 bucks :shepface:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Amazon.ca has a bunch of Criterion blu-rays listed for under $5.00! Gotta be a mistake but I'm giving it a shot.

Yeah I feel like amazon is going to cancel these orders, but you can get 3 for 20 bucks with shipping to USA.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hopefully they might just let some go through whenever they get stock in to fill it out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just picked up House, videodrome, days of heaven, slacker and Pierre etaix. Gonna see what happens with that Amazon prime day, but if I don't end up getting much, I may go for time bandits, secret sunshine, mad mad mad world and the friends of eddie Coyle.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I seriously walked into Barnes and nobles last week and walked out with $100 of movies. I actually went online later that day and got another $100 more (but they don't ship until later this week because one of them is hiroshima mon amour). This is seriously addicting. On the other hand, I think I now own 90% of the criterions I was interested in so I'm not totally screwed on a future sale unless criterion does some new releases I really want.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I guess I should never say I'm done. To be fair half of my collection is blind buys. I just watched The Game last weekend and it was really thrilling. And after work last week I watched one of the Pierre etaix shorts and it was very amusing.

Actually, anyone have a good recommendation for what to go for next after The Game? Maybe Seconds or world on a wire.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Won't there be a November sale? I think if I'm picking up three of the October titles I should wait for a sale

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This is always a dangerous month for me. I was at a store nearby to drop off a poster frame order and I walked into the nearby Barnes and nobles.

Walked put with rashomon, investigation of a citizen about suspicion, for all mankind and when horror came to shochiku. Mostly blind buys but I do know most of rashomon, just never actually watched it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think the only Kurosawa bluray I'm missing is Kagemusha. But I have a copy of high and low I've never seen.

Wait,yojimbo and sanjuro is Kurosawa right? Missing that too.

Gonna sit down and try to watch a criterion this weekend for sure. I tend to save them for a nice, quiet day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Seriously get harakiri. And rashomon. Your Japanese movie collection won't be complete without those.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Did the topic dissappear? Link doesn't appear to work.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Well I just blind bought the thin red line because I wandered into a Barnes and nobles. Never seen this before.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Can confirm. I have to stop going in a nearby Barnes and Noble just because it's near where I was doing errands. So many impulse purchases.

Still worth it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That does seem odd. AFAIK Blu-ray have superior scratch resistance than dvds. They shouldn't be scratched up by that unique case so easily.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Brazil was a blind buy for me but I've enjoyed other Terry Gilliam films. Can't wait for my order to come in.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I hate reading this thread during a criterion sale. gently caress you guys I'm blind buying blow out

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm getting triggered by all these people who don't display criterions.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Theres a new clue that could be upstream color or bringing up baby.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Dreams is a must buy for me. Never saw that kurosawa and it's the only one my collection doesn't have if I remember right.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ratedargh posted:

Your collection has Dersu Uzala?!

I wish. I just meant out of everything criterion released on bluray and eclipse. Obviously I don't have the AK 50 boxset either.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

blue squares posted:

Well I also don't want to make one of my favorite companies lose money because someone hosed up. I don't think it's right. If indeed it's a mistake

Amazon would be taking the hit more than criterion would.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You've heard of msrp right? Manufacturers suggested retail price.

This is just a price given that you will make a good profit on carrying their items. Criterion would be the manufacturer.

Criterion would sell to Barnes and nobles and Amazon at a whole sale price and Barnes and Noble normally sells at msrp. Amazon could sell lower and make less of a profit per unit but sell more units. That's always been Amazon's MO.

Criterion makes the same money either way even if people pay more at Barnes and Noble. Criterion probably makes more money if you buy directly from them and not during their flash sale.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

zandert33 posted:

If you happen to include in your order $40 worth of non-sale items you can use the coupon BNRMN20 which will apply 20% off to your entire purchase including any Criterion purchases.

drat coupon expired. I'll wait for the next one.

Trying to get the dekalog but hoping to spend closer to 40 dollars for it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I think I'm gonna wait and see if they do that 30% off one item coupon for black friday.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Barnes and nobles got a 30% one item off code for black Friday.

It doesn't work on criterions....

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely do not get the idea of collecting movies just so you can put them on a shelf and never watch them. That's the best thing about collecting movies, you can actually get hours of entertainment out of them, most other types of collecting don't come with that perk.

Video games and books are the same way. I love to collect games and Kindle titles too. I think I just really love to be entertained and love the idea of having a great media library that I can watch or read or play whatever I feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So that would mean eventual criterion blu ray release, Yeah?