Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm sure the average visitor to Amazon.com just voted for the one with actors they recognize.

Beaver reviews of My Dinner With Andre and Last Year at Marienbad (SD) are up.
I'm almost as excited for this as I am The Seventh Seal in HD. It's amazing and probably still up on Youtube for people who haven't seen it. It looks beautifully transfered, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

EDIT: correction, Pierrot le Fou is also coming on Blu, September 22.
Holy gently caress. We lose Ran and gain the most colorful French film this side of Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Why in christ doesn't Criterion own Umbrellas anyway?

I'm going with bookmark Amazon, DVDPlanet, DeepDiscount, and the Criterion store and just go for the lowest price.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Berlin Alexanderplatz ... ~$50.
You tramp! I had to pay $90 for mine, that was when Amazon didn't even stock it and you had to go through their third parties.

FitFortDanga posted:

This is the one title where I've broken my "if it's worth owning, it's worth owning on Blu-Ray" rule. There's no way in hell I'm getting rid of the Doinel box (until they release the whole thing on BR) and I don't like having multiple copies of any movie. Even at a steal of a price, I just hate "clutter" in my collection.
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.

Right now my next Criterion purchase is going to be: Chungking Express BR, Pierrot le Fou BR, My Dinner with Andre. I've seen all of them and I've always been worried about making blind Criterion purchases. The only blinds I've made with them were Fanny & Alexander, Berlin Alexanderplatz, and the post-A&C stuff in the Doinel box. I've yet to be disappointed, but I think that's mainly luck.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 28, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

doctor thodt posted:

Am I the only person who refuses to buy their SD stuff anymore now that they're releasing Blu-Rays? I just hate the idea of knowing that I'll inevitably double-dip :ohdear: Then again I haven't bought a single SD-DVD since I got a Blu-Ray player so I guess it has less to do with Criterion and more to do with me being a snob.
I'm gradually becoming less reluctant, but Bluray schedules keep throwing me for a loving loop. Ran used to be a shoe-in and then it gets pulled. Once I stopped mourning the loss, I thought Pierrot le Fou would be a pretty cool but unlikely Bluray. The next loving day I find out that it got picked up.

Wasn't there some talk about Criterion doing a Bluray of Fanny & Alexander? There's already a PAL version of the theatrical release out there.

Captain Charisma posted:

I do 100% expect The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic in the next year or two, though.
What's the deal with Criterion and Rushmore? Do they have rights to it anymore? I know they're never getting Darjeeling, but I haven't seen a store carry a Rushmore Criterion in ages.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 30, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd like to pick up some Herzog films since I haven't seen ANYTHING from him, but I sort of wonder if BluRays are likely considering Anchor Bay's selections. Got a ton of his films on my Netflix queue anyways. I'm really only picky on renting vs. buying if it's something Netflix will send out as a lovely Westlake disc.
I'm pretty sure Fitzcarraldo's still on Youtube Movies or whatever it's called. It's the German dub, but it's still seeing Herzog going Quixote.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Wait, does The Life Aquatic come with a sleeve like Tenenbaums does? I picked mine up used and it doesn't have one.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fred Breakfast posted:

It's not on the reverse?
It's the illustrated two disk one. I guess Hastings just tossed it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the marking on the horse is from the Kagemusha cover.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

The Darjeeling Limited
details to follow

EPIC MONTH
Whoa, they cleared up the rights issues when Wes Anderson went to Fox? I'm finally going to get a real DVD of The Darjeeling Limited?

Oh gently caress. Oh god oh god.

The only thing beating this round of Criterions is when they announce Blurays for Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums. And Ran, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I do wonder if we'll see a Criterion of Fantastic Mr Fox. The Fox Bluray really isn't bad.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Boo, less Darjeeling and more Life Aquatic.
You know that Fox version of the Rushmore DVD that only has a lovely transfer and a theatrical trailer? That's all that The Darjeeling Limited has had since it was released. At least Life Aquatic has a Criterion DVD.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's all fine and good but The Life Aquatic is a better film and I'd rather see a barebones blu of it than a super deluxe version of a film that I thought was pretty mediocre.
This isn't a Bluray release, though. This is a new addition to the collection, and new additions get Blurays almost by default. Criterion's been waiting for three years for Fox to stop being such assholes over distribution rights for Darjeeling and they're not going to buy it because most of Wes's films aren't on Bluray yet.

And Life Aquatic is going to be the very last Wes Anderson movie to get a Bluray. Royal Tenenbaums is going to get priority and they're probably going to redo the entire Rushmore DVD - most places still list it as out of print (even though it isn't anymore).

Whatever happened to that collection of two dozen or so films that Criterion lost the rights to? The one with Alphaville in it. Any news on what's happening to those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FitFortDanga posted:

Life Aquatic is Anderson's weakest movie anyway. :colbert:
I completely agree, but the Cousteau parody gives it an aura of adventure that's missing from all of his other films. And even if it is the least, it's Wes Anderson so it's fun.

The Life Aquatic was both my first Criterion and first Wes Anderson film, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.