Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see a Criterion release of a great modern action movie like Die Hard or even The Matrix.

This is from last page, but I'd kill for both of these. Criterion has gotten out of their own butts a little lately with things like Watership Down and Repo Man, but I think that's asking a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any Akira special features that never made it past laser disc?

FAKEEDIT:
Give me an excuse to buy a laser disc player and Akira on laser disc.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Before this sale I only had Godzilla on blu ray and Chasing Amy on DVD.

After the sale I have Seven Samurai, Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress, Nashville, F For Fake, The Royal Tenenbaums, Watership Down, Breathless, The Brood, Mulholland Drive, Scanners, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Brazil, Videodrome, Rushmore, and Moonrise Kingdom. I also plan to get The Complete Jacques Tati and preorder Inside Llewyn Davis and The Graduate. I also got the complete Hayao Miyazaki this month.

I think I have a problem.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is Mr. Freedom any good? It looks ridiculous.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I don't know any of these movies! Can someone tell me what's so great about them?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

also do i really need to explain the manchurian candidate to you

Ok I know that one. Love me some Denzel.

EDIT: Ordered The Complete Jacques Tati on Black Friday from B&N and just received it today. Should I just watch them in order or is there a best way to get into Tati? I've never seen a film of his (unless you count The Illusionist). Watching Jour de Fete now.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008

cryme posted:

they suck don't waste your time

Hey, great post.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watch anything from Japan, that's just kind of how they see femininity there.

So I've been revisiting every Wes Anderson movie since I bought all of them but Darjeeling Limited in the sale. Nothing against that movie, I just didn't get around to it.

It's the first time I've watched most of them since I was a teenager so I'm really noticing the theme of control. It's interesting that the director known for control over the frame and performances keeps revisiting the theme of lacking control. Whether it's in relationships, career, or just life, many of his characters are just totally rudderless despite being privileged in some way. Usually wealth.

I've also noticed how all his films are in some way about masculinity and how we perceive it based on our perception of the previous generation. I love how that's presented in Moonrise Kingdom. He casts these guys known for their masculine roles (Willis, Norton, Murray) as these old man children who are all trying to be cartoonish depictions of men and everything falls apart around them because of it. Bill Murray walking outside in his underwear, axe in hand, saying "I'm going to go find a tree to chop down" for no particular reason is a great example of this. He's just so emasculated by everything around him that he has to act out in a 'manly' way.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I JUST bought the Tati box set! At least it was like 65% off and is loaded with bonus features. Preordered Lady Snowblood too.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of covers, what do you guys think about Criterion's penchant for using imagery from very late in the films on a lot of the box art. Right now in thinking of Ikiru and The Brood mostly, but there are a bunch of examples. I love it. If I'm going into the movie blind the covers just look cool then have a whole new context when I'm done watching.

I've been thinking about it a lot while all these goddamn needs bitch and moan about the tiniest Star Wars spoiler lately.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I would pay out the rear end for a Ralph Bakshi box set.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Barnes and Noble sucks at shipping so I don't have my Complete Lady Snowblood yet. Anyone else get it?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Nope, I work at B&N and as long as it's in the system and able to be preordered, it's included. I preordered Llewyn Davis.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

At the 50% discount price?

Yes. The thing this whole discussion has been about.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Butler of Babies

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just ordered Darjeeling Limited to complete my Anderson criterion subcollection, Fantastic Planet to complete my animated criterion subcollection (not counting Akira), and Dr. Strangelove because why not.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Preorders for movies that will come out during the course of the sale (i.e., July releases) do get the discount, though.

During the last sale I preordered two movies in the store that came out a while after the sale and both were half price.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Seconding Inside Llewyn Davis and adding The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Also seconding a bunch of the others mentioned.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
You guys, Dr. Strangelove is a good movie.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any animation blu rays I'm missing? I have Fantastic Mr. Fox, Fantastic Planet, and Watership Down. Always meaning to get the Akira laserdisc.

I really wish they'd do more animation.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Everyone should get the Snow White blu ray.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Actually, get every classic Disney blu ray. That's what I do. And the Miyazaki box set.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought the Miyazaki set didn't have any special features?

The movies are still in there.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 13, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

All this talk about good animation and not one mention of Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist starring animated Jacques Tati.

Should've been in the Tati collection.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Blow Out, 12 Angry Men, or A Hard Day's Night?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Meryl Streep is in one of these movies?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I legitimately thought that was a screaming fan from A Hard Day's Night who happened to look like Meryl Streep.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I got Blow Out. Total blind buy, can't wait to watch it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

blue squares posted:

One of my favorite things about Criterion is when a film has commentary from a film critic. I'm listening to the commentary on the Double Life of Veronique and it's such an enlightening experience. It's from a woman who wrote a book on Kieslowski

Godzilla has a commentary on BOTH the US and Japanese versions of the film and they're both great.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I'm partial to phantom of the paradise my self.

Second.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Five minutes in and Blow Out is my favorite movie ever.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How is the commentary on Naked Lunch?

Also, since I loved Blow Out so much, how is Dressed to Kill? And Murder a la Mod, the feature included as a bonus on Blow Out.

Edit: So I blindbought The Player and didn't love it. Anyone interested in a trade?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 15, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

The lack of a blu-ray is literally the only reason I've been waiting to see Short Cuts, as it's been #1 on my to-see list for a long time.

Me too! This is a great list.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone know what the font used in the Three Reasons videos is?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone else feel like they're constantly explaining what the Criterion Collection is? 9 out of 10 people I mention it to have never heard of it, even movie nerds.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Apparently the Repo Man digipak is OOP and they've already converted it to the plastic case? Has anyone else heard this?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

I'm only posting this here because I don't know if there's a more appropriate place on the forums, but what are some good reading sources to really start with film theory and criticism? I devour the Criterion special features where I can and really want to find more stuff out there to read, not just watch.

Not reading, but there is no shortage of great movie podcasts. The Canon may not be well thought of around these parts, but I absolutely love it and happen to be listening to the Godfather episode right now. Highly recommend it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

I like Amy Nicholson and her analysis is generally spot on but Devin is just a consummate rear end in a top hat. It would be a much better podcast if he wasn't a part of it.

I like them both and love what an rear end in a top hat Devin is. I actually get more frustrated by Amy's stubbornness than anything Devin does. Except when he talks about animation. That can make my blood boil. Amy will also judge a movie based on outside factors or other cuts that have nothing to do with the movie they're talking about.

On another note, I picked up Amarcord today. Is this a good place to start with Fellini?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008

blue squares posted:

Birth of a Nation is an important film. Yes, it's racist and that should not be downplayed, but in terms of technology and cinematography, it was a huge achievement of its time.

Everyone should read that book Who's Afraid of Song of the South. There's a fascinating story behind that movie.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 30, 2019

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Get this to Criterion, STAT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLGLCXP0CdA

Can't I just dream?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Unmature fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

A lot of people would probably say 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita, but I think Amarcord is as good a place as any. It has everything people love about Fellini, I'd say its very representative of his work in general.

Picked up 8 1/2 today. Gonna watch it first. In fact, I'm hitting play right now.