Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

If I was invited in there I'd just take my arm out and knock every single title down into my cart giggling the entire time.

agreed... sounds like way too much fun.. like a kid in a candy store.
i cant wait for the next 50% off b&n sale in november.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

Any Canadians here take advantage of the Barnes & Noble sale? I'm worried that shipping costs would negate the savings.

shipping costs certainly did not negate the savings... i believe i made 4 orders from their summer sale.. everything went smoothly, and the extra in shipping costs didn't change the fact that we're still savinga bundle from the sale itself. i'm countin down the days until november 1st

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about loading up on P&P: Black Narcissus, Red Shoes, Canterbury Tale, IKWIG. But none of those films got more than an 8/10 from me on the first viewing, I don't want to go overboard like I did during the last sale.

Also considering Brief Encounter, which would be a mere $10 for the EAH version.

Hmm, what else? Nothing's jumping out at me. I've got all the ones I consider must-haves. Maybe the Lubitsch and Late Ozu Eclipse sets. Gah, decisions decisions....

just out of curiosity and because im having a hard time narrowing down my own decisions on this sale.... which do you consider to be must-haves? and im open to any genre from any era..

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think everyone should own Scenes From A Marriage.

edit: and everyone should have Scenes From A Marriage avatars and the theme music should play on every page but that's probably why I'm not an admin

haha i think you've sold me. well played.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

So there ya go. Just buy all those.

thank you for that!
hopefully my idiotically general question was on others' minds as well.

mainly i just wanted to get some discussion going..
my most recent criterion watch was Eyes Without A Face which I thoroughly enjoyed... i'd also agree and strongly recommend F For Fake and Vampyr

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

My picks this time:

Paths of Glory Blu
Modern Times Blu
The Night of the Hunter Blu

For what it's worth, The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus, 8 1/2, Playtime, M, Yojimbo, The 400 Blows, and Stagecoach are all essentials on BluRay. Great movies, excellent transfers, and lots of supplements.

thank you for the recommendations! i have every one of those 'essentials' on blu already with the exception of Yojimbo. My decision now is whether to pick up Yojimbo/Sanjuro together or just get the film by itself...
my basement got flooded this past summer and wrecked a bunch of my Criterion cases... its a shame to have The Third Man & Stagecoach hidden away in a dvd-binder.. :(

strongly agree with The Red Shoes, my god that just looks beautiful on blu. i would also put Last Year at Marienbad and Days of Heaven in that category.
also on the fence with whether to blind-buy Hausu or not..

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

God that sucks, those are such beautiful covers.

EDIT: Buy House.

believe me i know... the good news out of this is, i was able to claim all the stuff that got wrecked through insurance so I made money back on movies that technically were never ruined.. though as we all know, the covers & booklets are just as much the collection as the movie itself.

i've almost purchased the OOP Third Man on EBay just so i can have that cover back! gahh..

ALSO, this overwhelming instant feedback is good enough for me. House is purchased.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sporadic posted:

Are you talking about the Blu-Ray? I have a spare original Third Man case left over from when Criterion sent me that awesome plastic case replacement.

If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

i've been meanin to buy the platinum upgrade anyway..
now's as good of a time as ever.

yes, i meant the blu-ray! and thank you!
expect a msg sometime before the day's over [its 5pm for me right now]

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

that was wonderful lol dare I ask what show that is?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sporadic posted:

You don't have to buy platinum. You can just email me at mrsporadic (at) yahoo (dot) com and we can work it out.

I also have The Last Emperor case if you need that one too.

lettin ya know that an email has been sent.

Also, purchases so far:
Hausu [blu]
Seven Samurai [blu]
Charade [blu]
Paths of Glory [blu]

Night of the Hunter [blu]
Modern Times [blu]
Scenes From A Marriage
The Passion of the Joan of Arc

mightttt get 1 more order of 4 in there, we'll see!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

friendo55 posted:

purchases so far:
Hausu [blu]
Seven Samurai [blu]
Charade [blu]
Paths of Glory [blu]

Night of the Hunter [blu]
Modern Times [blu]
Scenes From A Marriage
The Passion of the Joan of Arc

mightttt get 1 more order of 4 in there, we'll see!

just picked up my last round of movies:
Diabolique
Sansho the Bailiff
L'Avventura
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

..... im broke but i'm loving life!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

anyone wanna explain how 'Ali: Fear Eats the Soul' was cancelled off my BN order?? I mean i know they've got a crazy amount of sales going on..

but i can't see that one in particular at the top of everyone's lists right now

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

This sale. This loving sale. Every time I buy way more than I should.

i've already spent too much and i've got 4 more sittin in the cart right now lol here's to hoping none of those get cancelled..!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Fun posted:

They're really good for the shipping costs. They've been breaking up all my orders into pieces and they're just splitting the total shipping price between the different things they're sending.

yea i made an order out to Canada of 4 blus.. Seven Samurai is being shipped on schedule while the other 3 have been delayed (House, Charade, Paths of Glory). just like Mr Fun has said, they've split up the shipping costs and not charging the orig. amount 4x, which is very nice to see.

i still have yet to figure out why they completely cancelled ali: fear eats the soul .. anyone have anything similar to that happen to them?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Looks like Amazon is having some kind of sale on Criterions. Not as good as the BN sale, but several titles seem to be about 40-45% off.

Thanks for notifying everyone about this...
just found 'Three Films By Hiroshi Teshigahara' for $46.99... comparing that to amazon.ca's price of $107.99.. this feels like quite the steal

Heard lots of good things about 'woman in the dunes' so i figure this is the best time to pick this one up.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

azechiel posted:

I'm still waiting on my DVD of Scenes From a Marriage from the last sale. It hasn't even shipped yet. I'd just cancel it and reorder, but that's 25 dollars I'm saving. I mean geez.

they really must not like canadians.... I just got an email from B&N on Scenes From A Marriage letting me know the order has been canceled....and yea now that they've done this so late.. with the sale being over.. this is ridiculous.

i'd also just hold off until the next sale in the summer, but who's to say it'll just get canceled then too! I mean i ordered about a dozen movies and only had an issue with this one.. but I shouldn't have ANY issues..! *sigh*

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

J3M9D8K is a coupon code for 10% off everything in your cart (except preorders).

This coupon code worked and cut my shipping charges to Canada in half! Much appreciated.

Picked up: The Music Room, Kiss Me Deadly, Bigger than Life, and Night and the City. That should do just fine until the fall/winter sale.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Crossed the border today to hit up a Barnes and Noble store in the US. I picked up DVDs of The Furies, Ugetsu, Pale Flower, and Naked City. Figured I'd spend the US cash I had lying around! User codyclarke sold me on Pale Flower, even though this particular B&N didn't have it on blu.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

If it goes like it did last year, all of these will qualify for the B&N sale. :madmax:

I have had a smile on my face for the past 10 minutes or so. A lovely day at work is completely erased by these November releases. All are must-buys! :)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

i am not so sure posted:

The Matador starring Pierce Brosnan.

This would be incredible.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TheYellowFog posted:

I ordered something during the B&N sale, waited 1 month, e-mailed them to ask where it was, they said it got cancelled (which they never notified me of), and that I can re-order it at full price if I want. Ended up just getting it from HMV for like $8 more than it would've cost with S&H anyway. B&N is annoying for Canadians, which doesn't make sense because Amazon has their poo poo together. I've ordered from amazon over a dozen times and it never takes more than a week and a half to get here.

Exactly this. I've had to wait 4-6 weeks for some B&N shipments to arrive, and a lot of times they split up a 4-movie order into three separate orders for whatever reason. Amazon, whether it be from Canada, US, UK, France.. they're very very good with shipping prices and times here to Canada. Hell normally they're earlier than what their shipping estimate is.

Luckily for the B&N sale, I'm driving distance away from a B&N in the states that I just pay the duty across the border! Quite excited for November.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Heads up! Amazon is listing Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy as IN STOCK. It's a fantastic set of films, and last month I spent $100 for it on eBay, which was a bargain at the time. Although I'm bummed I didn't wait for this opportunity, I hope some other folks jump on it.

Thank you for the heads up as I've always been interested in which Eclipse sets are worth taking the plunge for. I can't help but be sold on your enthusiasm here. Here in Canada it comes out to $45.96, in case anyone's curious.

Anybody else have a favourite Eclipse set? I'm sure this has been discussed before - but these sets are always on the cusp for me and I can never pull the trigger.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 10, 2011

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

Everybody should have the Nikkatsu Noir set, though.

Funny that this was the one I've been looking into more than any other.

FitFortDanga posted:

These are the ones I have:

Flamenco Trilogy
Early Bergman
Nikkatsu Noir
Kenji Mizoguchi's Fallen Women
Aki Kaurismaki's Proletariat Trilogy (and the upcoming Leningrad Cowboys set)

Thanks both of you for the recommendations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Amazon put up some OOP Criterion and Essential Art House DVDs at good prices here.

Now's your chance to get Peeping Tom.

Thanks for this! Picked up Peeping Tom, Le Trou, and Quai Des Orfevres.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

With the B&N sale going until the 21st, this means that films released in this time period will be part of the sale as well? Or is it just movies released before November 1st? [I'm mainly referring to the Three Colours Trilogy on the 15th]

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Past sales have allowed releases coming that month, like The Music Room or High and Low for the last sale.

Fantastic news! Thank you.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the warning kaujot, i'll keep that one in mind!

For anyone interested or curious, just dropped some cash on the following two orders online:
Classe Tous Risques
Pickpocket
Elevator to the Gallows
Yi Yi (blu)

Fanny and Alexander (blu)
Three Colours Trilogy (blu)
The Rules of the Game (blu)

I also plan on crossing the border to a B&N to check out what they've got in-store. Combine this with Uncharted 3's release - well, today is a good day.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Rick Deckard posted:

Any one up in Canada or anywhere getting this order status message?
Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.

My order is:
Fanny & Alexander blu-ray
Three Colors blu-ray
Carlos blu-ray

Just went and checked my order status' and they both are okay. No issues on my end. Not sure what happened with yours - hopefully it gets cleared up.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

This is Barnes and Noble we're talking about; it won't get cleared up.

That is true, I've had an order or two in the past get randomly cancelled, but never 'Unable to Process' before. If you just cancel that, and then re-order the exact same movies again - it should work and have no issues. I know because it's worked for me.

Not to mention how B&N never ships a single order altogether in one piece. Very strange indeed.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Raspberry Bang posted:

I don't know what to get! Any suggestions on blu-rays? I wanna know everyone's favorites or must haves.

I love that everybody has had different answers. Shows you how many great films there really are to choose from, but I suppose it doesn't really help you out either (unless you have lots of disposable income).

I'll echo the nods for Night of the Hunter, The Thin Red Line, and The Sweet Smell of Success. I'll also say for me that The Red Shoes, Hunger, Last Year At Marienbad, Kiss Me Deadly, and Days of Heaven are essentials and flat out gorgeous.

Going through my list of purchases during both the B&N sale and the amazon.com sale last week, i've got 15 films in total. Thank god for bartending on weekends!

I'm still on the fence with picking up the Nikkatsu Noir set. Is it a case where one film stands out above the rest? Or is the entire set worth watching and revisiting?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Cruel Gun Story and A Colt Is My Passport are the best, but they're all pretty good.

penismightier posted:

I like I Am Waiting the most.

Thanks for the feedback. I've already spent enough money on this sale - what's another $40? A large part of me really wants to see these - especially being Noir-vember.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

penismightier posted:

You won't regret it, it's a stellar collection.

Done and done. :)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

And here's some photos of the Three Colors packaging.

Christmas certainly comes early. Thank you B&N! Can't wait for next week.

Also, would Hoop Dreams would be worth the double dip? I'm thinking not so much. Although it's one of those situations where even if the Wire wouldn't benefit all that much from blu-ray - I'd still double dip in a heartbeat.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 8, 2011

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

My wallet hates me:

amazon.com sale
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy Eclipse Set, Le Trou, Quai Des Orfevres, Peeping Tom

B&N sale - [further proof that just a debit card in your possession means nothing]
Classe Tous Risques, Pickpocket, Elevator to the Gallows, The Testament of Dr Mabuse, Hiroshima Mon Amour, A Woman Under the Influence, Nikkatsu Noir Eclipse Set, White Mane [for $6.99 - why not], High and Low (blu), Island of Lost Souls (blu),The Phantom Carriage (blu),Yi Yi (blu)

What a haul.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Twin Cinema posted:

The time it takes to ship things to my house

Amazon.ca: 1-2 business days
Amazon.com: 2-3 business days
Amazon.com other sellers: 5-7 business days
AbeBooks: ~10 business days
Barnes & Noble: Over 30 business days

How the gently caress do they ship?

I'm in the exact same boat with B&N - November 2nd ship date and I'm still waiting. Nothing will ever top Deep Discount which took about 3 months after they said it shipped. I forgot I had even made the order!

Surprisingly my bluray of Beauty and the Beast just arrived today from Amazon after ordering it on Monday on the US site! I just don't understand B&N with the slow shipments & separate shipments of a single order.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

friendo55 posted:

I'm in the exact same boat with B&N - November 2nd ship date and I'm still waiting. Nothing will ever top Deep Discount which took about 3 months after they said it shipped. I forgot I had even made the order!

Surprisingly my bluray of Beauty and the Beast just arrived today from Amazon after ordering it on Monday on the US site! I just don't understand B&N with the slow shipments & separate shipments of a single order.

Just to update on this, my initial order came in the day after I wrote this - in a box just a tad too large and with a single air-filled plastic bag. Still in good condition though, and I can't complain THAT much with this sale twice a year.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I might as well add myself into this conversation - I'm at 92 Criterion films. I'm thinking The Great Dictator is the next one on my list.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

McNutty posted:

Considering your tastes it looks like Ace in the Hole should rocket to the top of your list. Because it owns bones.

It's hard for me to purchase a criterion DVD with the fear that it's going to be re-released on blu - namely In The Mood For Love and Ace in the Hole. But definitely it's one I need to own - appreciate the recommendation!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Not sure about Europe, but they'll definitely do it if you're in the US. I shot Jon Mulvaney an e-mail about a month or two back because one of my cases for the Carlos Saura Eclipse set was crushed and he sent me one within a week.

Also my story here in Canada where I had a basement flood and 5-6 criterion bluray cases & booklets were wrecked. They sent both the cases & booklets free of charge for all of them - including The Third Man that is out of print.

I recommend sending an email explaining your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

robix smash posted:

Criterion are totally jerks for releasing a still that looks so much like In the Mood for Love, but isn't. I can't see ever watching Certified Copy a second time honestly.

As much as I too would love a bluray of In the Mood For Love, it's a shame that you're not willing to see Certified Copy more than once. I think it's a film that rewards you with multiple viewings. There are many ways to interpret the film and it can thus provide varying degrees of emotion and resonance. It's one of my favourite films of 2011 and i'll be buying the Criterion after already picking up the UK blu. Excited for the cover art this afternoon!