Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

IndieRockLance posted:

That shirt was actually based on a poster created specifically for a midnight showing of Hausu at The Belcourt in Nashville. It wound up in the hands of the director and Janus thought it was so rad that they're now using it as the official poster for the entire limited run. I thought that was cool. Also, it was designed by Ben Folds' drummer.

There was a big post about it on The Auteurs a few days ago: http://www.theauteurs.com/notebook/posts/1219

When/if this movie comes out on Blu-Ray, I hope this is the cover design they choose. drat is that nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but where is the information on the criterion blu-ray case replacements? I looked on their website, but i couldn't find anything. Those digipaks are looking real out of place....

On another note, finally watched The Seventh Seal on blu and I was really impressed with the film itself and the transfer. I really did not expect the film to be as witty as it was. Really enjoyed it.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Not to derail the digipak conversation or anything, but I wanted to chime in with the blu-rays I picked up during the bn sale....

Bigger Than Life- I picked this up based on the reactions of some people on here, and was it ever great. James Mason's performance is just all over the place (in a great way), and it's a gorgeous movie to look at. Ray's use of shadows and light is so cool...it's like noir in color. I highly recommend picking this one up during the sale.

Days of Heaven- What an absolutely beautiful film. I had heard mixed things about it going in, and I hadn't seen any Mallick before this one. Now I'm convinced that I have to see all of his other films. Are they all this beautiful?

I also picked up Mystery Train and Gimme Shelter, but I haven't watched either of them yet. Any one pick either of these up?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

SubG posted:

I can't think many films, period, that beautiful. I think all of Malick's films are striking, but Days of Heaven (1978) is the most visually spectacular.

The one I really want to see is Badlands, which is supposedly rumored to be getting a Criterion release.

Also, to contribute to the digipak discussion, I almost all of mine, except for Last Year at Marienbad. The digipak on that one is pretty drat cool, what with the raised lettering and all.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I love how Malick can make me respect actors I would normally not take very seriously (Gere, Farrell, like half the cast of TTRL).

This is what really caught me off guard watching Days last night. Even though he doesn't have much in the way of dialogue, Richard Gere has some intensity in the film, which is something I've never noticed in him.

I'll have to check out The New World ASAP.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I just watched this via Netflix last night... Honestly, I feel robbed of an hour and a half of my life. Maybe if I would have enjoyed this more in a theater, with a bunch of bad movie fans, and a nice buzz going.

Are you putting House in the same category as The Room?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
If anyone looks at the Criterion Facebook page, they just posted a video of Kent Jones talking about a new release. Call me optimistic, but it sure sounds like Blue Velvet.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
I second the Nikkatsu Noir set. It's the only Eclipse set I've seen, but all the movies in it were really cool and interesting. Take Aim at the Police Van is a personal favorite from the set.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
That Belle De Jour cover is excellent. I've never seen it, though. How does it stand in relation to Bunuel's other films? For the record, I've seen Un Chien..., Discreet Charm, and Phantom of Liberty.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Picked up Island of Lost Souls, The Great Dictator, and The Complete Jean Vigo. Can't wait to watch 'em, especially the Jean Vigo set.

Also, I had Videodrome in my hand, but I put it down. Can anyone who has it tell me if it's worth upgrading from the DVD?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Boy am I love the blu ray of Island of Lost Souls. I had never seen it before, but goddamn if it isn't terrific. The make-up is so disturbing, and the cinematography is great. Such a perfect use of shadows, especially when the subhumans are walking away from the doctor's house. Charles Laughton is great in it as well. The blu-ray has some great features on it as well. There's an interview on it with the members of Devo that's really fascinating, and their early music videos are included in HD as well.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Couldn't resist and went to a b&n with my girlfriend tonight. Here's what I picked up:

Godzilla
3:10 to Yuma
Things to Come
Rosemary's Baby

I haven't seen 3:10 to Yuma (loved the remake, though) or Things to Come (heard some good things). Any goon impressions of these titles?

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, it's almost like having your own little film lecture class in your living room. The best commentaries I've listened to on Criterion are the two on the Godzilla Blu for both versions of the film. The commentator does a great job discussing the history and importance of each film, and there's a great enthusiasm there that makes you want to keep listening. He even makes a great case for the re-editing/insertion of Raymond Burr in Godzilla, King of the Monsters being a really interesting artistic choice.

Hell yes! I watched Godzilla a few nights ago after picking it up during the B&N sale, and then watched Godzilla, King of the Monsters with the commentary track on. It was one of the best commentaries they've ever put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Went out last night and picked up:

Eyes Without a Face
Zazie dans la Metro
Jubal
The Uninvited
I Married a Witch
Kuroneko

Goodbye, money!