Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Benjamin Button was a special deal with Paramount where Criterion produced the disc while Paramount distributed it, which is why it's in a regular case.

Criterion worked out a similar thing with Disney for Armageddon, The Rock, Chasing Amy, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic on DVD. The Blu-rays of the Wes Anderson films were licensed normally, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you have The Criterion Channel, they just put up a 15-film collection of films with Von Sydow:

Wild Strawberries (bit part, though)
The Seventh Seal (obviously)
The Magician
Brink of Life
The Virgin Spring
Through a Glass Darkly
Winter Light
Interlude in the Marshland
Here Is Your Life
Hour of the Wolf
Shame
Passion of Anna
The Touch (warning, this is easily Bergman's absolute worst film)
Europa
Until the End of the World (note that this is a 5 1/2 hour film and Sydow doesn't turn up until quite a bit into it)

Except for The Touch, all the Bergmans are essential.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

All These Women would like a word with you. And then High Tension. The Touch is a solid third, though. It's pretty lousy.

I actually thought All These Women was more weird than bad. The Touch was painful to watch. Isn’t High Tension one Bergman hated the most out of his films?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

fenix down posted:

Ha ha it's not a contest... (but I've seen 35!) I bet Egbert has seen em all.

Checking out L'Avventura - my first Antonioni!

Only 13 I haven't seen: Breaking the Waves, Certified Copy, Clouds of Sils Maria, Fish Tank, Jeanne Dielman, La Promesse, Naked, The Piano Teacher, Stranger Than Paradise, L'avventura, The Thin Blue Line, White Material, Wings of Desire, and Yi Yi.

All are on my watch list except for Fish Tank and La Promesse, which I've now corrected.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Cameraman is a must-own for me, but I'm also wanting to see Portrait, Come and See, and Tokyo Olympiad.

If you're a fan of Buster Keaton, The Cameraman is worth seeing. It's been a little hard to find due to only being released in a TCM Archives DVD set years ago (with Spite Marriage and his first talkie Free and Easy). The 4K restoration ought to be a revelation since it was actually considered a lost film for some time and until the 90s, only existed in horrific quality 16mm prints (the MGM VHS released in 1988 used one).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

codyclarke posted:

La Bean Noiseuse (1991)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber leaked on Facebook that Criterion has all the Universal-owned W.C. Fields films except for two they're releasing (1933 Paramount version of Alice in Wonderland and likely the anthology film If I Had a Million). Seems like it would be for another box set since that's 16 films, including The Bank Dick which they released as a bare-bones DVD almost 20 years ago. Most of the films are just under or over an hour long and Universal themselves released a DVD collection with the films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

Anyone else have issues with their Bergman sets? In my set, seventh seal stopped working at about 1 hour in, and now with persona, one of the supplements crashes after about 20 seconds. Starting to wonder what other blu rays are at risk in the set.

Only disc I haven't watched in full yet is Fanny & Alexander miniseries (and I guess the theatrical Scenes from a Marriage, though I watched Saraband) and without any issues.

What player are you using?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Is The Magician a horror movie? It's got a spooky skull on the cover

If you want to get technical, most of Bergman's films are about existential horror, but it's not "horror" horror.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think these can reasonably be counted as horror films from Bergman or at least being similar enough in mood:

The Seventh Seal
The Devil's Eye
Persona
Hour of the Wolf
Shame
From the Life of Marionettes

(The Devil's Eye, Hour of the Wolf, and From the Life of Marionettes are all exclusive to the big box on physical media, but are up on The Criterion Channel)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Happy birthday, Criterion Channel!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Seemed like a good time to get beyond the valley of the dolls since it never seems to be on cc. Almost got that varda tote since I love the bergman one I have, and will turn it into a backpiece on a jacket when it eventually breaks

Just FYI, the only major studios working with Criterion Channel are Sony, Warner, Paramount, and MGM. They also have been licensing stuff from Miramax (which was just bought by Paramount), StudioCanal, and Film 4. And the other boutiques they've been working with include Shout! Factory, Kino Lorber, Milestone, Flicker Alley, Cohen, and Arbelos.

Disney will likely make Disney+ an exclusive outlet for Fox's library, though, maybe they'll loan out the pre-80s non-family films. I can't see Disney+ ever having Zardoz or Phantom of the Paradise. Universal has Peacock (this would also include the 1929-1949 Paramount features), despite early PR indicating they'd have some of their films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You could pretend Game of Death is listed for the reconstruction of Lee's unfinished film and the two dogshit theatrically-released films are "supplements"

FYI, looks like Criterion's 30% off discount is active for this if anyone wants to preorder for $88. Not a bad price for effectively four films plus a gigantic amount of supplements.

(Worth also pointing out that Criterion doesn't seem to charge for preorders until they ship, so I'd definitely pre-order to take advantage of their site discount)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

But's also not out until July which would be when Barnes and Noble is probably doing their 50% off sale.

True, but you can cancel before it ships. I’ll preorder and cancel if the sale happens.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

July Criterions:

The War of the Worlds (1953) - July 7
Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits - July 14 (already announced)
The Lady Eve - July 14
Marriage Story - July 21
Taste of Cherry - July 21

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Is Taste of Cherry any good? The premise seems really interesting but I've never taken the plunge to watch it.

I haven't seen it, but The Koker Trilogy was fantastic. And Life Goes On is one of the best films I saw last year (Where is the Friend's House? and Through the Olive Trees are great too). I'm wanting to see every single Kiarostami film now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chakan posted:

It's nearing the end of April so I'm trying to figure out which movies I should watch that are leaving criterion channel soon. When looking at this list, are there any that stand out to people?

My short list to watch:

Delicatessen
Three Days of the Condor
Near Dark
Thank God It's Friday
The Grifters
Uptown Saturday Night

I'm always opting to prioritize stuff that isn't on Blu-ray easily

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While I watched my Indicator Blu-ray (which is great and worth importing), Eyes of Laura Mars is fantastic. It's basically an American giallo. Yes, it's a little silly in spots, but it's one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a while.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

- O Lucky Man is pretty scathing satire, good double feature with A Clockwork Orange

Absolutely worth it since it's not on Blu-ray yet (seems like a perfect Criterion or at least Warner Archive release). As Lindsay Anderson would say, it's "epic" but it's episodic enough that it's not a big deal to watch it in parts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

May lineup:
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1132389-new-to-stream-the-criterion-channels-may-2020-lineup

LOTS of amazing stuff.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Idk if I plugged this film already but I’ll do it once again, Invention for Destruction is really cute and fun. It’s a Czech b&w Jules Verne-amalgamated fantasy a la Meliese films with lots of early special effects, making everything look like a Trader Joe bag (I know there’s a word for it but I’ve sold it to several friends with that description.) Really unique and fun.

I watched Karel Zeman's The Fabulous Baron Munchausen when it was a preview of The Criterion Channel and enjoyed it. Ended up picking up the Zeman set in the March flash sale, watched the first two films - Journey to the Beginning of Time and Invention for Destruction. I agree that IfD is wonderful, like a movie made from animated engravings. The handcrafted look of his films is endlessly charming. I actually just rewatched Baron last night and watched the "Karel Zeman: Film Adventurer" last night, which is a fantastic doc on his films. Lots of great behind-the-scenes footage, as well as parts with film students re-creating shots exactly as he originally did them (on film!)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They seem to pick stuff that would be obvious or stuff that would at least be safe for most kids.

The '56 Around the World in 80 Days was my favorite movie as a kid and probably helped me in not having an issue with longer movies. Now that I've seen stuff like Karel Zeman's films, it's perhaps a little more conventional. But it's still a fun movie with great leads (David Niven, Cantinflas, Shirley MacLaine, and Robert Newton), there's all the cameos to look out for, and Victor Young's score is fantastic. Plus it's the rare 50s film with zero opening credits, though has a brilliant end credits sequence by Saul Bass that pretty much made the rest of his career.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pandemic delays aside, we're supposed to get a possibly 8-film box before the year is out. (Janus definitely has As Tears Go By, Days of Being Wild, Happy Together, Fallen Angels, Chungking Express, and In the Mood for Love while Sony Pictures Classics has Ashes of Time and 2046).

As well as supposed complete works box sets for Varda and Fellini.

My money is on Wong for July, Varda in October, and Fellini for November.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Considering the July releases are already announced -- including the Bruce Lee box -- this seems unlikely.

For some reason, I had it in my brain the last slate announced was for June. My sense of time is completely hosed up.

On second thought, I'm wondering if it'll get pushed back since Janus was clearly going to do a theatrical retrospective (like they did for Kiarostami) first.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone needs some recommendations of Channel stuff to watch before they go away on the 30th...

Footlight Parade - pre-code screwball comedy/Busby Berkeley musical with James Cagney and Joan Blondell
Eyes of Laura Mars - Stylish thriller with Faye Dunaway, a young Tommy Lee Jones, and co-written by John Carpenter (directed by Irvin Kershner)
Performance - Trippy debut feature for co-directors Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell starring Edward Fox and Mick Jagger
The Draughtman's Contract - Second feature by Peter Greenaway is wickedly funny and gorgeously baroque in appearance
O Lucky Man! - Lindsay Anderson's fever dream epic starring Malcolm McDowell

Footlight Parade is probably my biggest recommendation because it's such a fun gem of a film. Not exactly rare (it's on Blu and DVD from Warner Archive), but it's probably my favorite of the early-30s dance musicals. It has some sharp humor thanks to it being pre-code and is surprisingly self-reflexive - the opening scene has Cagney remarking how talking pictures are a fad and another character points out what can't be shown in particular cities.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 28, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's 30%-off discount has been extended to May 31 (was April 30). This means you can preorder August releases with the discount.

Doctor Teeth posted:

Are the Jacques Tourneur movies still on the channel (besides Cat People)?

I saw Nightfall was still up. I'm going to binge on more of the Columbia noir since I really enjoyed the films from last year's batch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What are people’s favorite romantic movies in the collection? In the Mood for Love notwithstanding, bc I already own that.

Holiday - Just recently watched it. Wonderful "dramedy" with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn.
Now, Voyager - A little sadder, but dynamite performances by Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. One of the most sublime endings.
Swing Time - One of the best Astaire-Rogers dance films. Only caveat is a well-intentioned, but slightly awkward blackface scene.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost forgot about The Age of Innocence. It's basically Scorsese doing a Max Ophuls film. Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Winona Ryder are all incredible in it. On top of it being shot by Michael Ballhaus and scored by Elmer Bernstein.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Timby posted:

How the gently caress have I never seen this.

It'll be on the Channel next month, too.

But good god is it a pretty movie:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

No idea when they added it, but The Criterion Channel now has an XBox One app.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The 1936 Show Boat is fantastic. I'm not even a musicals person, but I loved this. Directed by James Whale!

The Blu-ray looks gorgeous, too. Per the booklet, seems that they used a new fine-grain positive made from the camera negative.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched Destry Rides Again. One of the most fun westerns I've seen. Funny, both James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich are awesome. Plus, Blazing Saddles obviously took a ton of inspiration from this. The Criterion Blu looks amazing, like a brand new 30s film.

ham_sanitizer posted:

i wish there was a criterion release of the mirror by tarkovsky

It's probably coming before the end of the year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, the following Blu-ray releases are listed as "currently unavailable" on Criterion's website, which usually means they're between pressings:

By Brakhage: An Anthology, Volumes 1 and 2
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (initial dual format release OOP)
The Essential Jacques Demy (probably being replaced with a Blu-only edition like the UK edition)
The Qatsi Trilogy

Salo
In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wai box set coming soon)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
El Norte
Crumb
Repo Man
House
King of the Hill (Dual Format)
A Hard Day's Night (Dual Format)
Eraserhead
Mulholland Dr.
The New World
Dr. Strangelove

Most of these have digipak packaging, which probably explains the delay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Really excited for this. I've wanted to see more Varda (only Cleo so far and a few shorts). With the Bergman set, I had only seen four out of the 39 films and I finished the box as a die-hard fan. I know it'll be the same with this. And we still have normal announcements by the end of the week, hopefully.

I'll probably be wrong, but this probably means Wong Kar-Wai for October and Fellini for November.

(And it wouldn't surprise me if they had the Blu-only reprint of The Essential Jacques Demy announced for August as well)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Man, August releases announced and no post?

The Comfort of Strangers
Toni
Town Bloody Hall
The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum (br)
Agnes Varda Box

Also, I just saw Rififi for the first time, and poo poo what a movie.

If you liked Rififi, definitely check out Dassin's Night and the City.

I was going to post yesterday, but I was traveling and thought someone would beat me to it anyways.

Oddly enough, this is one of the few slates I'm completely unfamiliar with, but I'm always up for more Schrader, Renoir, and Pennebaker/Hegedus. Just realized the only Schlondorff I've seen is Death of a Salesman (which is very good), though I've had Baal and The Tin Drum on my watchlist for a while.

Town Bloody Hall sounds amazing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone posted on Facebook this...

Criterion Channel's June 2020 titles:
Alice, Jan Švankmajer, 1988
All or Nothing, Mike Leigh, 2002
Almayer’s Folly, Chantal Akerman, 2011
American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince, Martin Scorsese, 1978
And When I Die, I Won’t Stay Dead, Billy Woodberry, 2015
Another Country, Marek Kanievska, 1984
Another Year, Mike Leigh, 2010**
Anybody’s Woman, Bette Gordon, 1981
Artie Shaw’s Class in Swing, Leslie M. Roush, 1939
The Big Shave, Martin Scorsese, 1967
Black and Tan, Dudley Murphy, 1929
Black Peter, Miloš Forman, 1964
Born Free, James Hill, 1966
A Bundle of Blues, Fred Waller, 1933
But I’m a Cheerleader, Jamie Babbit, 1999
Cab Calloway’s Hi-De-Ho, Fred Waller, 1934
Call Your Father, Jordan Firstman, 2016
La captive, Chantal Akerman, 2000
Chantal Akerman by Chantal Akerman, Chantal Akerman, 1997
Columbus, Kogonada, 2017**
The Count of Monte Cristo, Rowland V. Lee, 1934
Death in Venice, Luchino Visconti, 1971
Dirt Daughter, Marnie Ellen Hertzler, 2019
Down There, Chantal Akerman, 2006
Empty Suitcases, Bette Gordon, 1980
The Eyes of Orson Welles, Mark Cousins, 2018
From the East, Chantal Akerman, 1993
From the Other Side, Chantal Akerman, 2002
Golden Eighties, Chantal Akerman, 1986
Grand Prix, John Frankenheimer, 1966
Greetings from Africa, Cheryl Dunye, 1996
Happy-Go-Lucky, Mike Leigh, 2008
Histoires d’Amérique: Food, Family and Philosophy, Chantal Akerman, 1989
Hoagy Carmichael, Leslie M. Roush, 1939
Husbands, John Cassavetes, 1970
I Surrender Dear, Mack Sennett, 1931
I-94, Bette Gordon and James Benning, 1974
Intimate Lighting, Ivan Passer, 1965
Into the West, Mike Newell, 1992
It’s Not Just You, Murray!, Martin Scorsese, 1964
Italianamerican, Martin Scorsese, 1974
Janine, Cheryl Dunye, 1990
The Living End, Gregg Araki, 1992
Loves of a Blonde, Miloš Forman, 1965
Luminous Motion, Bette Gordon, 1998
Mafioso, Alberto Lattuada, 1962
Maurice, James Ivory, 1987
Michigan Avenue, Bette Gordon and James Benning, 1973
Museum Hours, Jem Cohen, 2012
My Beautiful Laundrette, Stephen Frears, 1985
My Own Private Idaho, Gus Van Sant, 1991
Mysterious Skin, Gregg Araki, 2004
Olivia, Jacqueline Audry, 1951
One Day Pina Asked . . . , Chantal Akerman, 1983
Original Cast Album: “Company,” D. A. Pennebaker, 1970
The Owls, Cheryl Dunye, 2010
Parting Glances, Bill Sherwood, 1986
The Potluck and the Passion, Cheryl Dunye, 1993
Red Road, Andrea Arnold, 2006
The Red Tree, Paul Rowley, 2018
A Rhapsody in Black and Blue, Aubrey Scotto, 1932
Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World, Catherine Bainbridge and Alfonso Maiorana, 2017
Sergeant York, Howard Hawks, 1941
She Don’t Fade, Cheryl Dunye, 1991
Sing, Bing, Sing, Babe Stafford, 1933
South, Chantal Akerman, 1999
Spellbound, Jeffrey Blitz, 2002
St. Louis Blues, Dudley Murphy, 1929
Symphony in Black: A Rhapsody of Negro Life, Fred Waller, 1935
Synonyms, Nadav Lapid, 2019
Tarnation, Jonathan Caouette, 2003
Totally F***ed Up, Gregg Araki, 1993
The United States of America, Bette Gordon and James Benning, 1975
An Untitled Portrait, Charyl Dunye, 1993
Vanilla Sex, Cheryl Dunye, 1992
Variety, Bette Gordon, 1983**
Vera Drake, Mike Leigh, 2004
The Watermelon Woman, Cheryl Dunye, 1996
West Side Story, Robert Wise, Jerome Robbins, 1961
What’s a Nice Girl Like You Doing in a Place Like This?, Martin Scorsese, 1963
Zombi Child, Bertrand Bonello, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Per a few sources, looks like The Complete Films of Agnes Varda will be region free like Ingmar Bergman's Cinema.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 23, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I watched The Irishman and it was so bad. Why was it so bad? Why was it so bad?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my copies of Scorsese Shorts and Husbands today.

I will say that watching Italianamerican for the first time while eating a freshly made bowl of sauce and pasta is like the ultimate 4-D experience.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

City Lights is Chaplin's masterpiece, IMO, but The Kid, The Gold Rush (original cut), The Circus, and Modern Times are all fantastic.

For that matter, I'd definitely check out his dozen Mutual shorts since they're up there with the 1920-1923 solo Keaton comedies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

gently caress, Zogo, The Circus is one of my favorites. Seriously underrated and I don't know why it isn't discussed the same way City Lights and Modern Times are. Maybe it was less innovative but it's as if not more fun.

There's actually a few reasons. One is that it was an incredibly traumatic production for Chaplin. He was going through a nasty divorce, the IRS was after him for back taxes, his main set burnt down, and the lab hosed up a bunch of footage. Apparently, he doesn't even mention the film in his autobiography.

I will also say that The Gold Rush is worth checking out for the silent version because it's a vastly greater film in that form.

And if you don't already own it, The Kid is astonishingly beautiful. Apparently, the camera negative managed to survive (except for one section) and it's startling to see a 1921 film look virtually brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I know most people are probably waiting for the sale, but The Cameraman is on my top ten list for the year. If you're already a fan of Buster Keaton or enjoy silent comedy (like the Chaplin and Lloyd films), this should be an essential title. It's every bit as great as Keaton's other masterpieces like The General and Sherlock Jr., plus there's the added element of filmmaking.

There's also a ton of extras on this. It has Keaton's last silent film Spite Marriage, both films have commentaries, a documentary on his MGM work, some new interviews, and there's a neat short film about early motion picture cameras.