Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Was the Grand Budapest Hotel release worth having if I already own the previous blu ray? The review I read says both releases used the same 4k master but that this one was "supervised by Wes Anderson". I assume there isn't a huge difference though?

Any special features that are particularly worthwhile?

Commentary, nice packaging, and some new video pieces. The film itself should be identical since it had a 2K DI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think the Criterion sale is going to exactly pack the stores, anyways.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Stopped by a Raleigh, NC B&N and picked up...

Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Boyhood
Night Train to Munich
Only Angels Have Wings
The Story of Temple Drake

and as I was checking out, I saw a lonely Zatoichi set hiding on a shelf. I assumed it was reserved, but it wasn't, so now I have it. Probably blew my budget for the rest of the month, but I can't resist box sets.

Hopefully The War of the Worlds, Come and See, Bruce Lee, The Lady Eve, and Taste of Cherry aren't terribly difficult to find later this month.

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if there's increased demand because people are worried that Criterion might not exist a year or two from now due to the impact of the virus.

I think it's more that they are worried they, themselves won't exist a year or two from now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is The King of Jazz blind buyable?

Yes! I was expecting something dryer and antique (like many transition-era films), but it's entertaining as heck. Universal's 4K restoration is also magnificent. 2/3 of it from nitrate camera negatives and the sound apparently from mint sound discs.

What's fun is that all the musical segments are really entertaining, but there's also these great vaudeville 'blackout' gags in-between. There's also a ton of extras - commentary, deleted scenes (a later re-issue took out footage and added back others not in the 1930 version), four short subjects in HD (including two Oswald Rabbit cartoons), and a good making-of. I'd also check out Lonesome, which is a fun late-silent/early sound hybrid that's a lot like Sunrise in its stylization.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone have a particularly strong opinion on any of these?

First Films of Samuel Fuller
Here Comes Mr Jordan
Down By Law
The Awful Truth
Now, Voyager
Swing Time
Sullivan's Travels
Holiday
Cluny Brown
The Lady Eve
A Matter of Life and Death

I've only seen The Baron of Arizona out of the trio of Fuller films, but it's a lot of fun (Vincent Price always good).

The Awful Truth is a fun screwball comedy.

Now, Voyager is an absolute classic. One of Bette Davis' best roles and it's one of my favorite 40s films.

Swing Time is a good Astaire/Rogers dance film with plenty of comedy. Be warned there's a blackface number (though, has some incredible foot work by Astaire).

Sullivan's Travels is another absolute classics. I have a few films to go on Sturges, but it's one of his best. Same with The Lady Eve. (FYI, Kino put out Christmas in July and The Great McGinty, which are also must-sees)

Holiday is one of the best blind-buys I've had. Wonderful, charming light film with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. I hesitate to call it a comedy, but it's worth seeing.

Cluny Brown is another fun Lubitsch film and it's great to see Jennifer Jones in a comedic role. Worth it.

A Matter of Life and Death is one of the greatest British films ever. One of the all-time greats.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chakan posted:

Itís the middle of the month so Iíd like to know what movies are leaving the channel that we should be sure to watch. Leviathan has been on my list for a while so thatís one. There are several particularly old movies leaving & I donít know how easy they are to see, so if any of them are fun or interesting donít hesitate, but I do have Nosferatu on physical media so Iím not worried about it.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
The Hands of Orlac
Losing Ground
Stop Making Sense
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For what it's worth, Peter Becker isn't exactly the cineaste a lot of Criterion's regular producers. Which is fine, his job is to keep the company going.

While it's obviously an oversight, it is kind of silly to blame Criterion for not getting films from studios that have never been keen on licensing out titles. A lot of the films mentioned are with Disney or Lionsgate, which means it's unlikely. At the same time, there's a ton of great titles from Kino Lorber, Vinegar Syndrome, and Milestone that are probably getting overlooked because they don't use spine numbers.

Criterion was previously criticized for not having much from women directors, which they've made up for considerably. Just this year, nine films directed/co-directed by women, plus the Varda box. I think they'll make good, but it's silly to focus on stuff that already have decent editions while there's plenty of overlooked films that need releases. The Criterion Channel has been focusing on a lot of great films lately (many of which aren't titles Criterion can get), but I'd love to see them do Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up;

The Complete Films of Agnes Varda
World Cinema Project Vol. 3
The Elephant Man
The War of the Worlds
Dance Girl Dance

If anyone needs more recommendations, here's my takes on some of my 2020 viewings from the last few months...

Being There - Peter Sellers' finest performance, Hal Ashby's best film, an overwhelmingly wonderful character study. One of my favorite films.

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits - Having seen the films before, I remembered them being uneven, but I enjoyed the hell out of Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, and Enter the Dragon. The Big Boss also has some great fights and I think I have a soft spot for Game of Death now, if just for the excellent fights. Tons of extras and an overall fun set.

The Lady Eve - One of the great Preston Sturges comedies, Henry Fonda should have done more comedy.

The Cameraman - Buster Keaton's last great film, a wonderful meta-film about film with plenty of great setpieces. Great restoration and score, plus tons of extras.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Might be my #1 film I've seen this year, a masterpiece about love and memory like nothing I've seen before. Might be the greatest ending shot of the last 20 years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went ahead and pre-ordered Essential Fellini since I doubt I'd get a copy in-store that's in good shape.

Only recent titles I'm really looking at are Parasite, Claudine, Pierrot le Fou, and The Irishman.

Though, I've had the Wenders Road Trilogy, the Ozus, and maybe the Rohmer box in my sights. Also have heard a lot of good stuff about The Gunfighter.

While I haven't picked up every release, here's a bunch of recommendations from late-2019 through October 2020...

BOX SETS

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits - While I had seen the films on DVD and was mildly impressed, this seemed like a good chance to revisit. The best of the set are Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon, plus the latter half of Game of Death. The remasters look and sound amazing, tons of extras, multiple audio tracks and cuts, etc.

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman - Some of the most creative cinema I've ever seen. While I wasn't as enthralled with Journey to the Beginning of Time, both Invention for Destruction and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen are absolutely delightful with the "handmade" storybook look and whimsy. Lots of extras here, including an excellent feature-length doc on Zeman's life and work, which even shows students learning how to re-create effects he used.

World Cinema Project No. 3 - I haven't had a chance to watch any of this yet, but the previous two boxes were wonderful.

REISSUES

Taste of Cherry - I loved Kiarostami's Koker Trilogy and this was very close. Still unsure what to make of the ending, but a worthwhile film.

The Lady Eve - One of Preston Sturges' best and a wonderful new 4K restoration (albeit from compromised elements).

Salesman - One of the most soul-crushing documentaries, great new remaster and even has the Documentary Now! episode as an extra.

Army of Shadows - I think this is my favorite Melville film and a true masterpiece, glad that it got reissued.

NEW TITLES

Now, Voyager - Underrated golden age masterpiece starring Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. One of the most beautiful 40s restorations i've seen.

Until the End of the World - 5 1/2 hours of Wim Wenders and a loving amazing soundtrack.

Holiday - Wonderful "dramedy" with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, one of my favorite blind-buys.

All About My Mother - Another great Almodovar, gorgeous remaster.

Paris is Burning - While it gets a little dark near the end, lots of fun even if you're not exactly into "queer cinema"

Show Boat - James Whale directs a musical.

The Cremator - One of the most bizarre films i've seen.

Destry Rides Again - If you want to see what film inspired Blazing Saddles the most, this is it. Hilarious and worth it for the chemistry between Marlene Dietrich and James Stewart.

Scorsese Shorts - Three student films and two docs. Lots of fun here and I dare anyone to not wish they had Catherine Scorsese as a mother.

Husbands - What else do you need? John Cassevetes stars and directs, plus Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara. Make sure you watch the Dick Cavett episode.

The Cameraman - Buster Keaton's last masterpiece, gorgeous new restoration.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - My pick for best film I've seen this year, just astonishing from start to finish.

(I haven't had a chance to watch Dance Girl Dance, Come and See, The War of the Worlds, The Elephant Man, the Varda box, or The Cranes Are Flying yet)

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I fell asleep when I saw Uncle Boonmee the year it came out, haha. I'm curious to revisit it. Also I'm glad Phantom Tollbooth has had some time up on the channel, the book was a huge influence on me as a kid and I rented the movie frequently.

It was my favorite book as a kid and imagine my disappointment with the film. While it's alright for what it is, Jones pretty much missed the point of the book.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Huh, I bought the King Of The Hill Blu-rays mainly to see The Underneath again, since it never came out on DVD, and both are on the channel this month lol

Kino Lorber is releasing a standalone Blu soon, with a commentary and trailer added.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

B&N has started to ship Essential Fellini. Per one reviewer on Criterion Forum, all but three films are brand new 4K restorations - including 8 1/2. La Dolce Vita and Fellini Satyricon use the same 4K restorations used for the single Blu-rays, Roma is the same 2K restoration.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion definitely has The Trial and It's All True, plus they've been rumored to have Citizen Kane.

I'd love a Welles box, but Criterion's Blu-rays of The Magnificent Ambersons, Othello, Chimes at Midnight, The Immortal Story, and F for Fake are already among their best releases ever. I think more realistically, they'll do standalone releases of Citizen Kane, The Trial, and The Other Side of the Wind plus some sort of set of Welles unfinished work that includes It's All True.

Still going to channel some CPL energy to will a complete Kurosawa box into existence.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lynch eschewing chapter stops goes back to some of the earliest DVD releases of his films with approved transfers - The Straight Story (2000 - Disney), The Elephant Man (2001 - Paramount), Mulholland Dr. (2002 - Universal). While MGM let Lynch supervise remasters of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart, they still had chapter menus and stops.

What's funny about Lynch is that while he is particular about his films, he's absolutely anti-revisionist to the point where color grading is barely different across releases that he supervised.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Which is strange considering he did the crotch blurring thing with Mulholland Dr.

In that case, it's because it wasn't supposed to be that visible.

Kind of reminds me how on the DVD remaster of Citizen Kane, the brightness is set so high you can tell that Joseph Cotten is in the projection room and see the garbage matte around Kane's corpse at the beginning. On the Blu-ray, it's dark enough you can't really make out Cotten's face and the matte is the same level as the shadows.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

April releases:

Memories of Murder
Irma Vep
History is Made at Night (1937, Frank Borzage)
The Furies (Blu-ray)
Masculin Feminin (Blu-ray)

Memories and Irma are 2-disc editions.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, "Currently Unavailable" means titles are either out of stock (common after their sales) or between pressings. Due to Covid, a lot of the early 2008-2010 Blu-rays were listed as such for a while, as well as a lot of titles in digipak cases. Zatoichi and Essential Demy were listed as such for a while before returning in print.

Here's all the Paramount licenses for those who care. I put an * next to titles that have been Criterion exclusives (no Paramount US DVDs).

2007:
If.... (DVD)*
Ace in the Hole (DVD)*
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (DVD)*
Days of Heaven (DVD) - OOP

2008:
The Naked Prey (DVD)*
The Furies (DVD)*
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold (DVD)
White Dog (DVD)*

2009:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (DVD)*
Downhill Racer (DVD)*
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (DVD/Blu) - Actually produced and distributed by Paramount

2010:
Days of Heaven (Blu-ray) - OOP
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (DVD)* - incl. Underworld, The Last Command, and The Docks of New York - OOP [Blu-ray reissued in 2019]

2011:
If.... (Blu-ray)*
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (Blu-ray)*

2012:
Harold and Maude - OOP
Rosemary's Baby - OOP

2013:
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (Blu-ray)
Medium Cool
Seconds
Nashville (Dual Format) - OOP

2014:
Ace in the Hole (Dual Format)* - OOP [Blu/DVD editions still available]
Riot in Cell Block 11 (Dual Format)*
La dolce vita - OOP [Blu-ray still available in Essential Fellini, released 2020]

2015:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Blu-ray)*
Downhill Racer (Blu-ray)*
Don't Look Now - OOP

2016:
Nashville (Blu/DVD reissue) - OOP

2017:
Election

2018:
Ace in the Hole (Blu/DVD reissue)*
The Naked Prey (Blu-ray)*
The Virgin Suicides
Moonrise*

2019:
3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg (Blu-ray)*

2020:
The War of the Worlds
The Elephant Man

2021:
The Parallax View
The Furies (Blu-ray)*

Only ones I'd be particularly concerned about are The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Medium Cool, and Seconds. Election and The Virgin Suicides to a lesser degree.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Essential Fellini is such a gorgeous box and I love how it mimics Criterion's laserdisc-era packaging. Only issue I really have is that it omits Ginger y Fred - the only Fellini feature not on Blu-ray, which would have been from Warner Bros. Really odd how they had space for a 16th disc and didn't bother.

I'm 2/3 though the Varda box and like the Bergman box, I've really grown to love her films. Highlights of the box have been The Creatures, Le bonheur, Vagabond, and Jacquot de Nantes.

Spatulater bro! posted:

some of the newly OOP titles are already going for $100 on eBay.

Granted that the extras are worthwhile, but it wouldn't surprise me if Paramount is just going to turn around and release UHDs of at least Rosemary's Baby, Days of Heaven, and La dolce vita in the near future. Two of which have 4K masters.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I see Paramount already have new blurays of Days of Heaven and Rosemary's Baby coming in May. I wonder if they're new scans.

Rosemary's Baby was already a 4K master, but Days of Heaven was 2K from 2007.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

So I've been trying every day to find a new copy of Criterion's blu-ray of In A Lonely Place, which has been unavailable for quite a while. It's probably not gonna stay in print much longer. However, Deep Discount just got new copies available to purchase on their website and through Amazon. It's a classic noir with excellent performances by Bogart and Gloria Grahame.

DVD copies are easy to come by, if you're happy with that quality.

Itís unlikely to go OOP because itís a Sony title and theyíre Criterionís distributor. Crumb was out of stock for a long time, but just came back. Iím guessing with the pandemic, a lot of titles were between printings.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll take the 4K remaster supervised by the director over the old overprocessed HD master from 15-20 years ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Commissar Canuck posted:

Any strong opinions between Odd Man Out or Night in the City if I was looking to get a noir blind buy from Criterion to go along with High and Low (and thus free shipping)?

Both are essential, but Iíd edge out Odd Man Out as better than Night in the City.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Worth noting that Criterion Channel has the 4K restoration, which should be a good taste if you want to get the UHD.

Also, Anthony Mann directed the opening scene at the quarry and up until the entrance to the training place. I think the first shot directed by Kubrick is this:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Good possibility Amazon buying MGM doesnít change much for licensing. Universal has been licensing stuff for the Channel despite Peacock, Disney just started licensing Fox titles despite Disney+ and Hulu, and even Warner has the thing with HBO Max where Janus stuff shows up there and Warner stuff shows up on the channel.

Amazon having their properties on both Prime and Criterion Channel mean more market share for them. Not to mention physical media.

One never knows, but remember that Comcast buying Universal resulting in them spending a million dollars to restore weird poo poo like King of Jazz or letting Kino Lorber do a UHD of Touch of Evil.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is this because of the Amazon deal, or just a normal occurrence?

Amazonís purchase of MGM is only affecting these filmsÖ

United Artists (1952-ish to present, though thereís a handful of pre-50s titles that didnít revert to producers)
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (late May 1986 starting with Poltergeist II to present)
Orion Pictures (except for the early 1979-1981ish Warner coproductions)
American International (late-50s through early 80s)
Cannon (except for Warner coproductions like Cobra)
US rights to Embassy/Nelson (StudioCanal owns non-NA rights - films like The Graduate and This is Spinal Tap)
Lots of smaller libraries like Filmways, Gladden/Sherwood, Empire, Atlantic, The Samuel Goldwyn Company (not the pre-1960s films), Sigma III, etc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Never got around to picking up Arrowís Mona Lisa, though I did grab the four Handmade titles Indicator released.

Going to go ahead and predict Citizen Kane is going to be either #1100 or #1101, their first UHD release, and coming in October. Jonathan Rosenbaum just confirmed he did a commentary with James Naremore (they did the new track for Ambersons), though didnít say for whom. Given that it was Criterionís first laserdisc (shared with King Kong), itís the 80th anniversary, and Kino Lorber already has confirmed Touch of Evil for UHD this Fall. Might be a possibility that 1100 will be a ďUnfinished WellesĒ set that contains The Other Side of the Wind, Theyíll Love Me When Iím Dead, Hopper/Welles, Itís All True, The Deep, etc.

For that matter, Iíll go ahead and predict theyíre doing King Kong as well (#1102?) since it seems to be completely out of print from Warner.

Gripweed posted:

Is there a reason they haven't rereleased Fishing With John? It's not like there could be a music rights issue, since it was all done by John.

The original DVD has remained in print all this time and I doubt itís getting an upgrade unless itís included as part of a Painting with John release. Especially since itís all consumer-grade video.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watership Down was released back in 2015, so itís unlikely theyíre going to open up all the already packaged discs to swap out booklets.

Criterion does seem to be less receptive to putting out films by problem filmmakers in recent years, given that they passed on The House That Jack Built and The Pianist, as well as giving up Sixteen Candles to Arrow in a supposed trade. They also havenít put out anything by Polanski in seven years (last release was Macbeth) and didnít fight Paramount to keep Rosemaryís Baby.

So, whatís on everyone B&N sale list? Iím going to go easy for once, but hereís what Iím picking up definitively:

Memories of Murder
Merrily We Go to Hell
Nightmare Alley
Pickup on South Street
Mirror
Bringing Up Baby
The Breakfast Club

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 28, 2021

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Going to try to put together a recs video later, but I thought Iíd post a list of stuff you should not purchase (or at least take caution):

Akira Kurosawa:

Criterion has the rights to nearly all of Kurosawaís 30 feature films, with the only exceptions being Kagemusha (Fox/Disney), Ran (StudioCanal), and Dreams (Warner). The rest are mostly Kadokawa/Daiei or Toho titles (Dersu Uzala is Mosfilm). After comprehensive box sets for Bergman, Varda, and Fellini, itís beyond obvious that one of the next ďbig boxesĒ will have to be the Emperorís complete works. However, when this will happen is the real question. The theoretical complete box set would likely upgrade several titles (Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and High and Low were done in the 2000s for their remastered DVDs and later Blu-rays) as well as be the debut DVD-to-Blu upgrade for at least half of his films.

Caveat titles due to newer masters existing or quality issues:

Walkabout - New 4K restoration utilized for recent Region B Second Sight special edition Blu-ray, existing Blu-ray from 2010
Salo - New 4K restoration exists (available in Region B from BFI)
M - New 4K restoration exists (available region free from Germany)
The Wages of Fear - New restoration exists with longer cut (available in Region B from BFI)
Children of Paradise - While a 4K restoration, extreme noise reduction. No better edition exists yet.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Recent Region B Arrow edition used new 4K remaster while this uses a very old master
The Killers (1946/1964) - Newer 4K restorations exist, German UHD exists for the Ď64 Siegel film.
Naked Lunch - Newer 4K restoration underway, likely coming from Arrow in Region B
3 Women - Arrow Region B edition uses newer 4K restoration
The Leopard - Vastly superior 4K restoration exists while this uses a mid-2000s transfer with digital artifacting
The Battle of Algiers - Newer 4K restoration exists
F for Fake - New 4K restoration premiering at Cannes Classics, but itís still a very good transfer.
La haine - New 4K restoration available in Region B via BFI
Breathless - New 4K restoration available in UK from StudioCanal on UHD
Berlin Alexanderplatz - UK Second Sight edition is 1080i/50Hz to preserve original 25fps, otherwise from same source
The Last Emperor - Cropped to 2.00:1, coming from Arrow on UHD from newer 4K restoration
Wings of Desire - New 4K restoration exists
Paris, Texas - New 4K restoration exists
Close-Up - New restoration exists
The Great Dictator - New restoration exists
Zazie dans le metro - New restoration exists
The Complete Jean Vigo - New restorations exist with additional footage
Anatomy of a Murder - UHD to be included in Columbia Classics UHD Vol. 2 box set with most Criterion extras intact
Dr. Strangelove - Sony UHD coming soon (also in first UHD box) with all on-disc Criterion extras intact
Do the Right Thing - Universal UHD uses same 4K restoration, includes some of Criterion extras
The Elephant Man - StudioCanal UHD (UK) uses same 4K restoration, includes some of the Criterion extras
Parasite - Universal UHD exists, though is bare-bones
Crash - Arrow UK UHD uses same restoration, has considerably more extras except for the Cronenberg commentary from laserdisc

Also, box set overlaps with single-title Blu-ray releases:
*denotes that the box set version is superior to individual release

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story:
Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces

Ingmar Bergmanís Cinema:
Summer Interlude*, Summer with Monika*, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Seventh Seal*, The Magician, The Virgin Spring, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, The Silence, Persona, Shame, Cries and Whispers*, Scenes from a Marriage, The Magic Flute, The Serpentís Egg (Arrow), Autumn Sonata*, Fanny and Alexander [theatrical cut]*, Fanny and Alexander [miniseries]*

Essential Fellini:
La dolce vita, 8 1/2*, Fellini Satyricon, Roma, Amarcord*

The Complete Films of Agnes Varda:
One Sings, the Other Doesnít; Faces Places (Cohen)

100 Years of Olympic Films:
Tokyo Olympiad*, Visions of Eight*

The Essential Jacques Demy:
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, The Young Girls of Rochefort

World Cinema Project No. 1/2/3:
Touki Bouki (No 1)*, Trances (No. 1)

David Lean Directs Noel Coward:
Brief Encounter

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films:
Godzilla (1954)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

John Romero posted:

So from what Iíve heard regarding Parasite the extras on the criterion are underwhelming when compared to how much better the UHD looks. The UHD is also $12 on Amazon right now.

do you guys think criterion ever goes UHD??

Parasite is fairly packed. Has the B&W cut, commentary with BJH and Tony Rayns, plus 3 1/2 hours of other extras (including a filmmaking masterclass). $32 gets you the Criterion and the bare-bones UHD, which is pretty reasonable (and on par with dual format VinSyn or Arrow).

Iím 99% sure weíre getting Criterionís first UHD releases in October. Going to make a bold prediction that their first UHDs will be Citizen Kane and Mulholland Dr.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Picked up The Irishman, sex, lies and videotape, and I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

I can't recommend the latter enough. It's Robert Zemeckis' feature debut, and it's a delightful little comedy about 4 teenage girls who move heaven and earth on their way to the Ed Sullivan Show to see the Beatles perform. Nancy Allen (of RoboCop) and Wendie Jo Sperber (the sister from Back to the Future) are absolutely incredible in it.

Itís an incredibly charming film, plus itís a fairly packed release. 45 min conversation between Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale (who co-wrote it), and Steven Spielberg (this was his first film as producer); interviews with Nancy Allen and Marc McClure, some of Zemeckisí student films, and a commentary with Zemeckis and Gale recorded for the DVD. Really nice 4K restoration, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watch Criterion license THX 1138 entirely so it can be #1138, but they couldn't be bothered to make #1100 Citizen Kane or at least something significant. Then again, 600 was Anatomy of a Murder, 700 was Fantastic Mr. Fox, 800 was The Graduate.

Other than being disappointed that Uncut Gems is on its second US release without a UHD, even if it absolutely should have been a Criterion release to begin with, pretty amazing month. High Sierra, The Incredible Shrinking Man, and Onibaba are definites. Maybe also Devi since I've wanted to see more Ray (loved the Apu Trilogy, liked The Music Room).