Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

FitFortDanga posted:

* "We hope to release a box set with the early short works of Martin Scorsese sometime next year."

I hope this comes to fruition. I've always wanted all Scorsese's shorts in a nice, simple collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Hot drat, L'Avventura is in this month's festival. I've been wanting to see that.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Went to my local Borders today to pick up the new Seventh Seal. I made a beeline for the foreign DVDs and found... nothing. This terrified me as the Borders here had gotten rid of their foreign section for a brief period once before. As it turned out, they were just moving things around, so I go for the foreign DVDs and find... the old edition. For 40 dollars. So I checked the website (which I had already checked before I came and they had the new one pictured). It said it was there, only it was marked up $10 from the MSRP. I figured this was a mistake and I was right. I did some searching and found the new edition nicely tucked in the Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi section. :ughh:

That said, it looks very nice. The packaging is very minimalistic and all blacks and greys, very well suited. I don't like that the discs have big Criterion 'C's on them, but whatever. I'm also a little bothered the spine reads 'The Seventh Seal' with a 'A Film by Ingmar Bergman' underneath, so all the text is small and kinda hard to read.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Unless you get some kind of employee discount, there's no reason to shop at Border's.

I use their rewards program. So I used the weekly coupon, plus I had a $5 "gift card" type thing from said rewards program. I ended up paying $21 (The weekly coupon is usually 25% or 30% off, which makes the price of a Criterion about the same as Amazon, DVDPlanet, etc. w/o the shipping). Normally I get my Criterions used from a record store in Chicago, but I am not currently in Chicago.

Edit: Being less vague

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 16, 2009

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

So, I'm curious. What exactly is the deal with the original Salo DVD? Is it really the rarest DVD? I figured someone here could explain the details.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

I'm on vacation and had to drive out 40 minutes to get to the nearest B & N that sold DVDs. My haul was Bicycle Thieves, Chasing Amy, The Hit, and Friends of Eddie Coyle. Apparently, Eddie Coyle didn't ring up as discounted, but the clerk was nice and rang it up half-off anyway since her instructions said to mark them all down :). I'm thinking off ordering the Cassavetes box set later this month.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

The Lucas posted:

For you guys who didn't order from B&N. If you're using a Visa card to pay for it, you can use this link link to get free shipping automatically and 5% off.

Whether you're a visa man or not, the coupon codes K3W4T3D or R9C9M3U can be used for 10% off one item. 15% off if you're a member and use H7K9W4P.

The 10% and 5% Visa thing can work together I found. So this covers the tax, shipping, and a couple cents extra.

Thank you for this.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Man, that Z DVD looks kinda sucky but holy hell if I'm not in love with the cover art.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

At least get Fanny And Alexander, it's worth every penny.

Especially if its the box set.

By the by, I ended up ordering John Cassavetes: Five Films from B&N today.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Goddammit guys, tempt me not with your 20% coupons. Now I've got Branded to Kill and Wages of Fear tugging at my sleeve.

The Mighty Boosh just came out in Region 1 this week too. :sigh:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Oooooohh! Do share for the too poor for Blu-Ray crowd.

Edit: Using puncuation.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Sheldrake posted:

Regardless, I would think about doing that way, too, but there'd be too many directors I'd only have one movie for, and it would feel weird.

I tried sorting by director once and I agree, it was really weird having single movies sitting in seemingly out of place spots. The biggest reason I switched back was because the first director that came up alphabetically in my collection was Ben Affleck :doh:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

I kind of organize my books and CDs like that: alphabetically by author/musician, then chronologically for an author/musician's body of work. I wish that method looked good with my DVDs...

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

It works for me since alphabetical puts Manos: The Hands of Fate between Manhunter and Mary Poppins...

Those awkward combinations are my favorite part about alphabetizing. I have Knocked Up next to Koyaanisqatsi and I used to have Munich next to My Neighbor Totoro. My favorite is still Hotel Rwanda/Hot Fuzz/Hot Rod

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Thought I'd share this link for any fellow Chicagoons on the thread. If you don't know of it, there's a great little chain of stores called Reckless Records thats sells used Criterions.

http://www.reckless.com/index.php?p...rue&srch=Search

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

That's me right now. Back at home this week, I found a fair sum of leftover spending money from high school and about 20 DVDs I didn't want. I'll be there for hours when I'm back in Chicago next week. Vinyl records and Criterions ahoy :toot:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Wow, Gomorrah's a total surprise. I liked it enough that I'll buy it, but goddamn, its a slow movie.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

It is, but it's still a very satisfying viewing experience.

What he said. It's slow, but the subject matter is fascinating and the cinematography is pretty sweet.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Welp, seeing as I only own Seven Samurai and Ran, I know what I'm buying this December.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

I wanna print this off and leave it in my Nicholas Ray class to see if my professor freaks out.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Is anyone else noticing that the Kurosawa box is coming up on the Coming Soon section of the home page, but when you click it you get a 404?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

I personally liked

Criterion's Facebook posted:

Mmm... bacon!

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Criterion's Facebook posted:

Sidney Lumet just walked in!

Que 34 comments of wild speculation. I like how some people just simply stated the name of a movie without any other explanation. I was quick to joke it was for a release of The Wiz.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Wow, 13%. That's way higher than I was expecting. Of course, most of those I saw on IFC/TCM instead of the actual Criterion DVDs.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Some of the responses to the Kurosawa box picture astound me. Well, for people who are fans of Criterion anyway.

quote:

first.

quote:

If you have an extra one laying around the office, feel free to send it to me!

quote:

Like Kristal "said" I already own eight of his "greatest hits"

Edit: Heh. On the Monsoon Wedding comments:

"The Criterion Collection" posted:

You guys should start a forum or something where you can do this all day long.

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 22, 2009

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Looking at the new Kurosawa box picture again, it looks as though the discs have an increasing number of lines on them. The first movie has one line, the 25th has 25 lines, etc.
I personally like this whole minimalist design thing they've got going. But I happen to be fond of minimalism.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i4eef19a7bf70315d74c32516e314b1e9

quote:

Scorsese praised Criterion's remastering of the 1948 film classic "The Red Shoes" for upcoming release on Blu-ray Disc.

Did we know about this already?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

I would hope for Only Yesterday. One of their best films, but for whatever reason Disney can't or won't touch it.

I would love to see this released in R1. It's great Takahata.

(But Pom Poko is the greatest thing ever created :colbert:)

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Since I'm saving up for the Kurosawa box, I'm leaving this sale to the whims of my mom and grandma as Christmas presents. :ohdear:

(Don't think me greedy for this. Our family always tells each other what to get for Xmas.)

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Alright, I caved and got all the Samuel Fuller Criterions for $87 total. I'm taking a class on him now, and I'm in love with his work after only 3 films, so I think it will be worthwhile investment.

Edit: This Joshua Goldberg fellow on the Criterion Facebook is one hell of an annoying troll.

Joshua Goldberg posted:

I never watch films more than once. Even my favorite films are ones I've only seen once.

Joshua Goldberg posted:

Oh, PLEASE don't release "Fargo". If I have to hear ONE more word about how "great" that piece of crap is, I think I'm gonna lose it.

Joshua Goldberg posted:

Answer me, Criterion! :(

Yeesh, is this what I'm missing at the Criterion Forums?

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 13, 2009

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

"Criterion's Facebook posted:

Robert Pattinson Interview for New Moon (Glamour.com UK)
Source: https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk

"What do you want for Christmas?" "What do I want? I want the entire Criterion collection if anyone feels like sending me one."

Queue 'sperg rage on the Criterion Facebook.

Part of me hopes some crazy rich teen girl actually buys the whole collection, not knowing what it is, and sends it to him.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

...students of film... are we talking 19 or 20 year-old kids? How learned do you expect them to be?

As a 19-year-old student of film, let me thrown in my two cents. I'm obviously not completely learned in film yet. Even though I average about one movie a day, I've only seen half an Ozu, one Truffaut, I haven't even touched Godard, etc. But thanks to the rise in DVDs I can take comfort in the fact that it's something I'll be able to get into eventually without too much trouble. Maybe this makes me a little lackadaisical in my studies. Breathless is instant on Netflix, and I still haven't watched it because it's something 'I'll get to eventually.'

What I really wanna say is that part of this new discourse no one's mentioned is the advent of movie channels on TV like Turner Classic Movies and IFC. Those channels were the basis of my education for 5 years. I discovered a ton of stuff through them and it really helped develop my love for movies without having to go to great lengths. If there was something I'd heard was 'good' I'd watch it. Sometimes, I'd watch the channels on a whim. I remember the night Mia Farrow guest hosted TCM and I watched her lineup on a whim because I liked her in The Purple Rose of Cairo . What she chose proved to be one of the most formative nights of my film life. The lineup was Rashomon, The Exterminating Angel, Fanny and Alexander and Raging Bull . I'd only heard of Raging Bull, but I watched the first two, then taped the latter two and watched them later. I loved all those films, I still do. Fanny and Alexander is still one of my favorite movies, Scorsese is still one of my favorite directors.

So yeah, I do agree that DVDs are wonderful for opening people up to film, but I think TV stations are just as important if not more. While a selection of DVDs lets you choose what you want, TV stations just throw things at you and let you watch at your leisure, which I think is great way to discover new movies.

Sorry for all the gushing.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

The First Films of Samuel Fuller
Pickup On South Street
The Naked Kiss
Shock Corridor
White Dog

+ whatever my mom got me for Christmas

White Dog has an essay by Armond White too... :rolleyes:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

I actually bought the AK100 box as a Christmas/birthday/next Christmas gift to myself since I only own Seven Samurai and Ran and won't be upgrading to Blu-Ray for quite a while. It is indeed pretty awesome.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Omigod omigod omigod omigod, I am so excited for Bigger Than Life. Now we just need a release of Johnny Guitar

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

vvvvvvv Because I get drunk and don't think things through.

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2009

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

I'll blind buy a Criterion if its something I'm getting for cheap/on sale and am relatively sure I will like, or if its an OOP edition that I find in a used store (For Ex: I just bought Notorious last week).

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Unless you absolutely want Rudy Behlmer's commentary, the MGM/Fox edition is better in every way and cheaper. I think all the archival supplements were retained, plus new documentaries and commentaries recorded.

Well, crap, I wish I'd known. On the other hand, I was getting it with trade-in so I only paid like $9.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Looks like a bunch of Criterion distributed films just went Instant on Netflix. This includes (from ones that were on my queue): Soderbergh's Che, Europa, Jules and Jim, Elevator to the Gallows, L'Avventura, Mala Noche, Closely Watched Trains, Wings of Desire, and The Vanishing . From what I can tell, it looks like a bunch of Kurosawas went Instant too.

Che is certainly a surprise. I'll try to check it out within the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Yes, I only knew what I had seen go Instant on my queue.

Looks like it's 35 Criterions in fact.
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/21/criterion-adds-thirty-five-films-to-stream-via-netflix/