Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Origami Dali posted:

Just an early heads up. B&N Criterion 50% off sale will be back on starting July 12th. Commence weeping over your soon-to-be-empty bank accounts.

Why will Secret Sunshine not be out until this finishes nyaaaaaargh

Maybe I'll pick up something low-key. Baby's First Criterion. (I say that every year. It's depressing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Friedpundit posted:

I'm thinking of blind-buying Secret Sunshine in the future. Is it worth it? I've seen Poetry and I really, really enjoyed that.

It's my favourite of three Lee films I've seen. Jeon Do-yeon gives probably the best female performance of the last ten years in it and it's immensely heartbreaking and captivating and the cinematography is second-to-none. Definitely worth a blind buy if you so much as watched five seconds of Poetry and thought "this might be decent".

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Mulholland Drive still falls within ten years so this obviously can't be true. :colbert:

I see what you are saying and I can only say that you are tragically, tragically wrong, sir.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

So, I was looking through the Criterion site trying to work out what I could buy in the B&N sale, and I discovered that outside of Japan, Criterion's representation of East Asian cinema is criminally minimal. Between South Korea, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong they have seven releases, one of which isn't out yet and two of which are out of print (also one is The Last Emperor, and that film is terrible). I'm disappointed - I can't buy anything and convince myself that it's relevant for my Honours dissertation.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

I'm currently collating my order for my first ever legit Criterions (I have Cleo From 5 to 7, Pickup on South Street, Yi Yi and The Lady Vanishes thanks to a cheap DVD store in Beijing) - at the moment I've got Le Samourai, Secret Sunshine and The Human Condition for myself, The Spy That Came In From the Cold for my Dad's birthday present, and Paths of Glory and Paris Texas for a friend (he's paying me back for those).

It's getting expensive.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Order placed, NZ$200 down the drain. :ohdear:

Picked up the following -

Le Samourai
Secret Sunshine
The Human Condition
Paths of Glory & Paris, Texas (a friend got those and is paying me back, thank god)
The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (dad's birthday present - he's a big Le Carre fan)
Cronos (sister's Christmas present - she likes horror and Pan's Labyrinth so yeah)

With this plus the five or so films I had to order from China for my research paper, I am wiping out my money right now.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

So all of my order just shipped (piece by piece, which is not what I asked for, but whatever) - except for Le Samourai. In fact, I checked my order status today and they just straight-up cancelled it! What the hell is going on and how the hell do I get my copy of Le Samourai?

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

So while my Le Samourai order may have gotten cancelled without notice, the 25% off voucher still pushed me back into Barnes & Noble's arms like some kind of masochist. I even gave them more money, the sucker am I. The Nikkatsu Noir set better be worth the shame.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is Tiny Furniture really as bad as the trailer makes it out to be? Because from what I can tell it looks awful. Please Criterion, I know the hipsters give you a lot of business but that doesn't mean you have to let their awful movies in.

It is terrible. Stilted, over-written, derivative, arrogant, self-pitying crap dressed up as self-deprecating introspection. It's one of the very few films that has made me want to inflict violence on the people I am watching, it's just that loving irritating.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Wyllt posted:

Hello there everyone. Recently in my life i've been finding myself appreciating movies a lot more and wanting to delve into this world head first. They are Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

That's a hell of a way to 'delve into this world head first'.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Sheldrake posted:

I gave my little sister my Criterion of Ran for Christmas, since she loves Japan. She did not give a crap. :(

Ran is amazing, what is wrong with your sister.

I, too, gave my sister a Criterion for Christmas - Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos. She loves Pan's Labyrinth and horror films generally so I thought it would be a good investment. I was not wrong, she reportedly loved it. :haw:

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

My first thought when I saw the clue was Spalding Gray. I'd be very psyched for a set. All his monologue films and the Soderbergh documentary are great.

God yes. I've only seen Gray's Anatomy and And Everything is Going Fine, but Gray's a phenomenal raconteur and I would love a well-presented set of his work.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, the B&N sale starts on the 10th.

B&N Criterion Sale, Steam Sale and a local film festival all within a couple of weeks?

My bank account is going to be hurting at the end of this month.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Question - I notice that some of the Criterions (notably World on a Wire and The Complete Jean Vigo) are Pan & Scan according to B&N. I've never actually seen a Pan & Scan film from memory but I know their reputation for being pretty tragic quality - are these Criterions lesser quality in comparison to the rest of the back catalogue?

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Cheers for the heads up. I really need to read up on aspect ratios before next month.

Anyway, made my first set of purchases today. To my tiny Criterion collection of Secret Sunshine, The Human Condition and Nikkatsu Noir, I have added two of my favourite films - F For Fake and Le Samourai - and two blind buys - Hoop Dreams (really liked The Interrupters and it was twelve dollars) and Hausu (because). Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wow, the Forgiveness of Blood cover is excellent.

It's also an incredible film, would've been my favourite of last year if Rango hadn't come along. You need to see this film.