Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Is there a code or something that gives you the 50% off? Or does it appear when you have stuff in your cart?

Because everything in-store is still showing up as its normal price for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Maybe try scrolling back seventeen posts on this very page?

Woops :v:

Thank you for being so kind about it, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I can't even being to describe how angry I am at the fact that I didn't log onto the forums last night because my friends were over. gently caress socializing, I could have three Criterions for the price of two right now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ended up getting World on a Wire and Hunger. I've been wanting to watch World ever since it got mentioned in the General Chat thread, looks fantastic. Hunger, I've also been meaning to see. I love me some Fassbender, and I've also heard it's really well made. Plus, I've wanted to watch Shame for a while now, so I figured I'd watch McQueen's first movie first.

I'm also getting Yojimbo/Sanjuro as a belated birthday present, which I absolutely can't wait for because I really need to watch more Kurosawa.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Got my Hunger and World on a Wire blus in the mail today. Can't wait to have the time to actually watch them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I held myself back. I bought The Darjeeling Limited because I love Wes Anderson and I've really been meaning to see all of his movies, and I also bought The Forgiveness of Blood because I really like the cover, it sounds interesting, and one of my roommates is Albanian. My girlfriend is also getting me Roshomon and a random one from a few that I listed for our anniversary.

Very excited!

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 30, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hewlett posted:

As someone who has only really started collecting at length with this most recent B&N sale, I actually do look forward to Blu-Ray upgrades, since I want to keep my collection consistent.

Yeah, this is my stance too. I didn't own any Criterions, nor any lovely-DVD transfer versions of any of the movies in the collection, so I really enjoy them adding new ones OR upgrading DVDs to blu-ray. I wouldn't have any Kurosawa movies if not for the Criterion blu-rays.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I got Kagemusha because I really shouldn't be spending that much money right now, but I really want to watch more Kurosawa.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jesus Christ, this is unreal.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

penismightier posted:

Is it true you still get commercials on Hulu+? I'm thinking about getting an account but that really turns me off.

Yes. You only get one per break, but you still get them. It's horseshit.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Just blind-bought Godzilla and 8 1/2, and pre-ordered Lord of the Flies.

I might order more if I can get my friend to give me back the $140 she owes me.

Oh god my wallet :negative:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

B&N is seriously a terrible company. I pre-ordered Lord of the Flies, which came out Tuesday, and I hadn't gotten it yet, so I decided to check the order status. All it says is "Estimated delivery date: July 16th." So I obviously join the live chat and what's going on, and they tell me it's out-of-stock and they're going to ship it whenever they can.

They didn't send any email or anything telling me this, I had to go on their site and talk to a live representative to find this out. What a load of crap.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Safe Driver posted:

Got a part of my 50% off order in (Rashomon, Samurai Trilogy and Brazil) but someone destroyed the Brazil case and took out disc one! Everything else in the shipment was fine and the box didn't even look tampered with. I hope Shoah shows up in one piece :(

Yeah, contact Criterion about this. I ordered a copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth (an OOP blu-ray) from SA Mart and it had a small crack in the top of it. They sent me a brand new case and insert for nothing on my part. They're really great with stuff like that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I got drunk last night and decided to supplement my original order of Godzilla, 8 1/2 and Lord of the Flies (which I still haven't gotten yet, loving B&N) with three more blind buys, Safety Last, House, and The Seventh Seal.

Very excited for them to come in.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Wow are OOP Criterion blurays really in the $100+ range? I have really lucked out with some blind buy Criterion blurays--got both Man Who Fell to Earth and Playtime blus when they were in print.

Every time I see the prices on The Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray, I am so happy I bought it (and Frost/Nixon) for like $50 on SA Mart. It became my favorite movie, and it's really cool to say I have.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Oh man, I already have it on blu-ray but I got it for like $5, and if this has a whole bunch of new stuff, I'll have to buy it.

The original is so so good, though, so it'll definitely be just for supplements.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Is Throne of Blood just not showing up for anyone? Was really hoping I'd be able to get it with this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Old Ash posted:

I always blind buy one or two movies during the sale. I already picked up Persona, Like Someone in Love, and Tess, during a previous sale, so I'm looking to buy a few that I don't really know anything about.

Any suggestions, from the list below or otherwise? (I already own usual suggestions like House, The Night of the Hunter, and Repo Man, and I'll be picking up Close-Up for myself and A Hard Day's Night for my dad.)

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

Or should I just wait for the Demy boxset?

Buy the poo poo out of World on a Wire. It's a crazy fascinating movie. Long, but great.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I am so SO low on money right now, but I plan on picking up A Hard Day's Night when I get my check Friday, and then if I have enough spending money by the end of the sale, Life Aquatic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

How quick is the shipping from B&N's website? I don't know if I will be able to make it back to the store before the sale is over and I'm really wanting Red River

Slow. Like a week or more.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Get House.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like The Man Who Fell to Earth is back with Criterion and it's getting a reprint in February.

I'm guessing StudioCanal is done with Lionsgate considering their edition was a bare-bones Amazon CreateSpace DVD-R...
Well that's good news for a lot of people. Maybe I should sell my copy now...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The TCM shop is having a sale on Criterion films. Some just as good as the Barnes and Nobles/Flash sales, some not. If those sales aren't enough for you, her you go.

If you use the code sorry30 (and pay with credit card) you can get an additional 30% off of the 50% off price.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 23, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cloks posted:

Seems like this works on everything in the cart, so there are quite a few Criterion Blus that are $13.29 each.

Edit: That's probably exactly what you meant; I thought you were talking about just The Small Back Room. D'oh!

I actually quoted the wrong post :v:

I meant to quote the sale post.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I blind-bought Eraserhead, Night of the Hunter and High and Low this time since I didn't buy anything the last two sales. Looking forward to seeing all of them for the first time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I've been meaning to get Night of the Hunter for a while now, but every sale I wanted to order it it was always sold out. I don't even give a gently caress I had to pay $25 for it, I need to see the drat movie.

As for the others, Kurosawa is my favorite director and after all the praise you guys were giving it in here, I basically had to get it. I mean, I have all of his other blu-rays from Criterion, so I should probably use this to round it out.
As for Lynch, Twin Peaks and Fire Walk with Me were my first and only exposure so far, and I'm dying for more. I'm glad I get to watch it in the best it's looked for the first time.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Quote is not edit

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The Man Who Fell to Earth is my favorite movie. I blind-bought it because I love Bowie to an unhealthy degree, and someone was selling it on SA Mart for $40. I completely understand why someone would not like it, but it hits every note perfectly for me. I don't think it's possible to depict an alien living on Earth and having no loving idea what is happening better than David Bowie in that movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Akarshi posted:

gently caress, with the 50% off and the BN.com code, I can't decide which Criterion to get as my first one. Anyone have any recs? Out of films that are Criterion ones, I've watched In The Mood For Love, Hausu, Beauty and the Beast, Francis Ha, and Blue is the Warmest Color (all on streaming). Not sure if I should get one I haven't seen before, or one I have.

Seven Samurai

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

beergod posted:

any real benefit besides pleasure of ownership to purchase these as opposed to getting a hulu plus sub?

The supplements for (just about) every Criterion are loving insane. Behind the scenes, "legacy of" documentaries, essays in the booklets.

Also the picture quality is better than streaming.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I didn't buy anything last time and I have an actual job now, so I decided to buy a couple extra this time.

I bought (all blind) Hidden Fortress (to round out my Kurosawas), Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspision, Walkabout and Thief.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jesus, apparently I ordered at the right time because everything except Citizen arrived in one day, without paying any extra for shipping.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I picked up the BBS set over the summer because I heard it was going out of print, but that's the only set I have unless you want to count the Vernon, Fl/Gates of Heaven disc.

Might also grab the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box, but I've still not sat down and watched Seven Samurai yet and I feel like I might be better suited to grabbing a breadth of styles rather than focusing on one director or country even.

Watch Seven Samurai aaaaaa

Edit- Yojimbo/Sanjuro is a great great set. I love Kurosawa to the ends of Earth, but keeping an open style is definitely an amazing way to get trough the Criterion Collection. Just about every one of my Criterion purchases are blind buys, and I wanted to keep an open style as well, and it hasn't pushed me in a bad direction (besides my wallet).

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 25, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I somehow convinced a group of stoners who normally have crazy ADD when watching movies to watch Seven Samurai in college and they could not have been more enthralled. A few of them asked me how the movie could have possibly been more than 3 hours because it felt like nothing.

Seven Samurai is seriously one of the best.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

March releases:

The Manchurian Candidate
A Poem is a Naked Person
A Brighter Summer Day
Paris Belongs to Us
Bicycle Thieves (Blu-Ray)

gently caress yes Bicycle Thieves.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I got Kuroneko thanks to the sale and holy poo poo the packaging is so cool.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Forgot about the $10 credit they gave me, ended up with The Kid, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Don't Look Back.

Yep, totally forgot about this too. Picked up Llewyn because I shouldn't be spending too much money right now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like the Zatoichi and BBS sets aren't going OOP after all. They're between pressings according to an email customers got after the flash sale. They oversold the sets, but note that the next pressing is coming in a few months.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

BN sale starts on 7/5 and runs until 8/1.

Nooooooooo my walllettttttttttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I got Dr. Strangelove, Fantastic Planet, Mulholland Drive and The Apu Trilogy.

All blind buys except Mulholland (I know I'll probably get crucified for not seeing Strangelove).