Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm a huge animation nerd and that movie is too pretty for me to not own. I'll definitely let y'all know what I think of it once I watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

If you can watch A Hard Day's Night and not be charmed out of your mind, you are a broken person.

The restoration is absolutely gorgeous, as well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

blue squares posted:

What criterions are the most bold and unique stylistically? Like in your face craziness and color, etc.

House

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Tiny Furniture

Ding ding ding

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Got linked to this blog where a guy complains about sound quality on blu-ray releases. He claims Criterion especially use liberal amounts of noise reduction. Any merit, or just some dude being dorky? http://blah-ray.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-is-this-site.html

Audiophiles are all crazy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I got (all blind-buys as usual)

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Chimes at Midnight
Ikiru

I might go back for more before it's over, I'm not sure yet though. I haven't watched all of mine from the last time I bought some, and I have Lone Wolf and Cub coming from Amazon Tuesday from when they screwed up their price.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy poo poo, I thought it was just the way the case made.

I loving love Criterion packaging.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I haven't watched it yet (mine hasn't been delivered) but watch High and Low, it's in my top 10 of all time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Agreed, I'm gonna have so many drat box sets.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cloks posted:

Anomalisa would be a good one to get. Maybe Secret of Kells and or Song of the Sea.

I hope they don't add Secret of Kells, that movie is horrible besides the gorgeous animation.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Spatulater bro! posted:

Received my Before Trilogy today ($39.99 from the Amazon pricing error :smug:). Such a gorgeous set.

Thanks for reminding me of that, apparently I put in the wrong credit card info so I'll be getting mine Friday.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Breakfast Club loving sucks but I mean Tiny Furniture is a Criterion so it's not like they're all winners.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I got Stalker, Blood Simple and Blow Out because I'm a little tight on money right now. Stalker and Blow Out are blind buys, I'm very excited for both.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just rewatched Blow Out the other day, it rules.

Yeah, you talking about it was what got me to get it. I'm always down for a John Travolta Actually Trying movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Wait doesn't stalker come out next Tuesday?

They do 50% off on pre-order items also

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hey y'all, I'm doing a thing this week related to Criterions, come check it out.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829472

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cloks posted:

Crazy fact I learned from the High and Low commentary: Kurosawa filmed summer scenes in the winter months so that people involved in the film wouldn't assume that the heat would be captured and work harder to show how hot they were.

I guess everyone should do this because I basically break into a sweat just thinking about that movie

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

Are you saying you haven't seen the original Twin Peaks series? Because if so, I hope you're not going to watch FWWM yet, because the movie assumes you already know the biggest spoiler of the whole drat show.

While I agree to an extent, I think it tells its story well enough that you don't HAVE to watch Twin Peaks.

It'll definitely ruin Twin Peaks though because of a) Spoilers b) How tonally different it is from the first two seasons.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Arcella posted:

Picked up HOUSE and Videodrome from B&N. My wife likes "creepy" horror like American Horror Story, but hates jump scares, I get the feeling both of these are more in the former category?

HOUSE is absolutely not scary but it is absolutely amazing

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOVUz0SZAQ

My poor loving wallet, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

World on a Wire was a two-part TV movie so that kinda counts

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I'd rather spend $1000 and wait like 1 month instead of $2000 , thanks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think you added an extra zero to those figures. Even the Zatoichi box set I bought didn't cost that much.

I know, I was exaggerating, but still.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Do it Egbert!

Also yeah I definitely recommend A Hard Day’s Night even if you’re not a huge Beatles fan. It’s such a joyous movie, I was smiling the entire night thinking about it after I saw it for the first time.

Also yeah, the transfer is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Memories of Murder is sooooooo goooooood. They way all the characters are treated in that movie is really special. It’s also wild to see how much of Bong’s filmmaking style shines through even in his second major movie.