Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Anyone know how long the Half-off Sale will last? I just got Bicycle Thieves at Barnes & Noble last night, and I want to go back for The Seventh Seal and Breathless, but I'm waiting for my next paycheck when I have disposable income.

Edit: Went back for Seventh Seal. Happy with that decision.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm intrigued by everyone who thought it was Badlands. I just finished watching it and there's not a shot anywhere similar to that in the movie. At least nothing in the Purple/Orange sky area.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

SubG posted:

Eh. Having not seen the film in years, it's the first thing I thought of when I saw that screenshot too.

Ah, I can definitely see it now. Shame it isn't.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ratedargh posted:

Sweet. I get the impression that it's not well loved around these parts but I've been a big fan since the first time I saw it. I've been putting off buying it on DVD forever...guess this will be a good excuse to grab it.

People can speak for themselves but I love this movie. I think I might have to trade in my current DVD copy and shell out for the Blu Ray at some point.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

kuddles posted:

I like all of Kaufman's films but I feel like Eternal Sunshine is the only one that stands up to multiple viewings. By the third time I saw BJM, the quirkiness wore off and felt more forced in spots and I feel there were issues with the pacing in the second half.

It's one of those movies where you can watch it multiple times, but you need to space out the viewings to at minimum once a year. Same with Adaptation, which is my favorite of his, but after I saw it I immediately watched it again with my mom the next day and now I don't know if I want to see it again for a long time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Safe Driver posted:

Out of print. It wasn't meant to be. :(

Well, I added it to My Wishlist anyway.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mailer's an amazing writer (he's also a chauvinistic egomaniac but that's beside the point) so I'm curious about his films. I won't blind buy them but I'll definitely try and get a hold of them and check them out.

Tenenbaums is an instant buy. Lonesome sounds good enough to be a blind buy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

caiman posted:

Why? Why should we search for coincidental correlations between 9/11 and COMPLETELY UNRELATED things?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

kuddles posted:

Hey, how is the streaming quality on the Criterion movies on Hulu? I'm curious about it because there are plenty of titles I want to check out but I'm not convinced I would want to own yet, but as I live in Canada, there are a few hoops I would have to jump through if I committed to subscribing to Plus for a few months.

I think it's decent. Do you have the option to watch a few of them for free? I don't know about Canada, but in the US Criterion makes a few titles available for free for two weeks every few weeks. And there are a small handful that are always free (Most John Cassavettes stuff, I want to say Stagecoach but I'm not sure, and some other lesser known stuff).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Is the Up All Night With Robert Downey Sr. set worth blind buying? I've never seen any of the films on it, but from what I've heard about Downey, they sound pretty interesting. Although, I could always be disappointed, so I'd like to know what I'm getting if anyone knows the films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just watched all the interviews he did with Paul Thomas Anderson, and I think I'm pretty much sold.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

kaujot posted:

So Criterion has added Eraserhead to their Hulu channel.

They haven't announced their October releases yet. This plus the Rosemary's Baby clue awhile back could be good news.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I put a blu ray of Night of the Hunter on hold at my Barnes & Noble, but I'd like to try and get some movies I haven't seen. Has anyone here seen Alambrista? I love American independent films and the clip on the Criterion site looks like my kind of thing. Then again, I've been meaning to watch the Three Colours trilogy and this might be my chance to get them for an affordable price.

I'm also curious about the complete Jean Vigo set and the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set.

Any recommendations?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's hard because I don't know what you haven't seen, but the Three Colors trilogy is astounding, as is The Double Life Of Veronique (but I'm totally using this sale to finally buy Topsy Turvy, which I adore far too much to not own).

Well, I was hoping for specifics out of that bunch (I'm really leaning toward the Painleve set after watching some clips, just watching that octopus is fascinating) but if there's anything similar I'm open to it. Although Three Colours is really tempting.

Other stuff I haven't seen but was eyeing: Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Belle de Jour, the Hollis Frampton set, Tanner '88, and Vampyr.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dear god...I did not know about this buy 2 get 1 free deal. Goodbye paycheck.

So all this Vampyr talk has convinced me to buy it. So I might go for Night of the Hunter and Three Colours blu rays totaling around $65 and toss in Vampyr with it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

I loving hate myself right now. :smithicide:

Breathless
Vivre sa vie
Double Life of Veronique
Fanny and Alexander
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Repulsion
Seventh Seal
Videodrome
Walkabout
Harold and Maude
The Samurai Trilogy
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Red Desert
8 1/2

I'd personally go with Breathless, The Seventh Seal and Videodrome, but that's just me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

You do realize that I just bought all those, right?

Nope. I thought that was the list you were trying to decide from. Well, holy poo poo then.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I wound up getting Kuroneko because the cover caught my eye. My only regret is I didn't spring for the blu ray because that movie is loving beautiful. How is this not more well known?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Momotaros posted:

Man, I tend to go overboard with this sale, so I'm going to restrain myself and only get like 3 or 4 this time around (besides, the second sale happens around my birthday in November). I know that I'm finally going to pick up Godzilla, and I'm going to pick up World on a Wire on a recommendation. I might get The Samurai Trilogy, any suggestions on what else to pick up? Here's my collection:

If you like Wes Anderson Bottle Rocket is fantastic. You can't go wrong with The Night of the Hunter. And not everyone is a fan but I love Two-Lane Blacktop. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is also criminally underrated.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I went back for Alambrista on blu ray and I'm done for now. I might go back near the end of the month and pick from what's left. Maybe grab Hunger or Science is Fiction if it's still there.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I'm only vaguely familiar with Criterion's release methods: Does Eraserhead being on their Hulu channel mean anything in regards to a physical release, or should I not get my hopes up?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm breaking. I think I might go for the BBS set tomorrow if my B&N still has it. I have no self control.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The original or the remake?

Hopefully the remake with the original on a second disc.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

You'd think that they'd want to make money. But nope. Better to just never let those films see the light of day!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So, any word on why they decided to release Heaven's Gate?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

For all we know, several of those features could very well address how it was a massive flop and the fallout. The booklet's essay may touch on it, as could the several interviews. Just because they didn't put together an entire documentary about it being an awful film and a massive flop doesn't mean it won't be touched upon.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

robix smash posted:

Be careful with box sets too, because B&N shipped my Fanny & Alexander in a thin plastic mailer instead of a box and the coverbox got all dinged up.

Criterion's pretty good about replacing packaging. If you send them an e-mail saying your coverbox was damaged in shipping then they'll probably send you a free replacement. I bought a used copy of Bad Timing a while back that didn't have a booklet. I sent them an e-mail and had it by the end of the week.

As much as I love the movies and the product, their customer service is easily what makes them the best DVD company.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Following was a surprise. But I can't help but feel like it should be a bonus feature for a release of Memento rather than it's own release. It's pretty good but nothing spectacular. Although I guess it does deserve a nice DVD release as much as any of Nolan's other films, and it's nice to see Doodlebug included.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The image file calls it Wacky Lambs, so maybe not Badlands?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DetoxP posted:

Every image file says that it's "wacky something" for some reason I can't recall - something about the new logo being called the "wacky C". All it does is help us know that if there is a pun there, it's on the word Lambs.

Ah. Well, then Badlands may actually be it. I would assume Killer of Sheep and The Silence of the Lambs don't quite work anyway.

Also, does anyone know whatever came of On The Waterfront, after that clue with the pigeons, with boxing gloves, by the ocean.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Has there been any word on what the deal with Eraserhead is? How long was Quadrophenia on Hulu before they announced that? Or do they often get deals to only put stuff on Hulu without giving it a physical release?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

juan the owl posted:

I gotta disagree re: Bonnie and Clyde. Its definitely still a well-known movie, but I think as it becomes easier and easier to see the French New Wave movies it was inspired by, it's own reputation has just been decreasing (with most serious critics, anyway). I mean, this was a movie that it wasn't hard to find declared The Greatest Movie EVER for a few years after its release. Now it didn't even rank in the latest Sight and Sound poll. It's always going to get trotted out every now and then as "influential," but the zeitgeist has long passed.

It's still a drat good movie in it's own right. And I'm going to second the request for some serious critics who have bashed the movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Originally wasn't going to buy anything this sale since I don't have much to spend right now. But my willpower is nothing. Ordered Chungking Express online since it'll probably be my last chance to buy it for less than $80. Going in blind to this one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I have seen The Thin Red Line and The New World. I was bored with each of these the first time I saw them but the 2nd viewings were good and the third time I saw The New World it was great. Maybe there is just no way to like a Malick film the first time through.

It is crazy that there was a 20 year gap between any kind of work on films. 1978 Days of Heaven (will watch now) to 1998's The Thin Red Line.

The Thin Red Line took me multiple viewings to get into but I loved both Days of Heaven and Badlands the first times I saw them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So I just got the newsletter and looking at the hint I instantly knew what it was, and I couldn't be more excited for it.

It's Repo Man

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

FitFortDanga posted:

sucks to your rear end-mar, Piggy

This only clicked in my head when you said that. For some reason I thought the glasses were a hint at Battleship Potemkin but I couldn't figure out what the hell the pig represented. I actually love the classic version of Lord of the Flies so this is good news.

I actually like the way Criterion has been doing the upgrades. One or two a month alongside three or so new releases. Although I do agree that it'd be nice if we could get some more obscure stuff that's still unavailable on DVD. I also support them releasing movies like Eating Raoul where the only DVD release available before was poo poo quality.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm strapped for cash currently but I couldn't resist and grabbed the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set. The preview video of that octopus is hypnotic.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Does anybody else have the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set, and if so have you noticed the picture quality being a little blocky? Astounding films, but the DVD is a bit pixelated.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

It looks fine upscaled on my PS3. A lot of the films seem to be grainy from the existing source elements and that can mess with compression quality.

Alright. I'm at college right now and it might just be my laptop, although normally my laptop plays DVDs with good enough picture quality. I have spring break coming up and have a blu ray player at home I'll give it a shot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I got a Barnes & Noble gift card recently and immediately went there to pick up the bluray of Marienbad. Watched it this morning and it's an incredibly unique, beautiful, and mesmerizing film. Also, it's clearly a key component of The Shining's DNA.