Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

NightConqueror posted:

holy moly, what a disaster. No Chromecast support AND I can't watch it on an "external monitor". like drat I want to pay for this service but they are making it hard as gently caress to use it.

same. I worked around the Chromecast/HDCP fuckery last night by starting a movie in Chrome, letting it load for about two minutes and then Chromecasting my tab. Worked for the two movies I watched last night. HDCP is such horseshit. Also the Android app has built in Chromecast support but I couldn't find anything that would cast from it. Every attempt was giving me "Chromecast is not supported for this video". I can't fathom why someone would want to watch these movies on a screen bigger than a laptop or phone :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

It doesn’t seem to let me sort titles or directors alphabetically.

Good work, though!

This works for me in Firefox fwiw

efb

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I watched Persona last night - my first time watching a Bergman film.

Folks, it's good.

Also, been really enjoying Columbia noir. Watched The Lineup last night and it was great.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Persona was my first Bergman, and it threw me for a loop. My 2nd was The Seventh Seal, which would be a pretty great starting place, since it's a lot of fun, funny, and strange. I thought it'd be more like Persona, or maybe something like Lynch's Eraserhead but with chess, and I was very wrong.

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight. Is there a consensus on whether first timers should watch the theatrical cut or miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander? Apologies, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I watched The Seventh Seal last night and loved every frame. Bergmanbinge has officially begun. I think I'm going to watch Wild Strawberries and maybe Through A Glass Darkly tonight.

For as annoying as the UI and lack of Chromecast support is (they actually just updated the Android app to remove the Chromecast functionality, stating that they're going to try to implement it in the future), I've been blown away by the quality of the library and definitely see myself subscribing after the trial period has ended.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

According to Reddit, The Virgin Suicides is back up on the channel.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the-virgin-suicides

I watched The Fabulous Baron Munchausen last night and was completely blown away by it. An absolute masterpiece of animation and art in film. It also has a lot of comedy that still holds up very well for a movie from 1962. It was a movie of the week pick so I don't know if it is going to become unavailable or what but I'd highly recommend it.

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na1h7ozW9VQ

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

thatfuturekid posted:

Thanks for posting this! Just watched and REALLY enjoyed it. If I wanted to continue my noir binge, what would be a good next watch?

The Lineup owns owns owns

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

May lineup for the channel just went up

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6314-coming-attractions-the-criterion-channel-s-may-lineup

Excited to finally watch Night Of The Hunter

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

First month with a Criterion Channel subscription trip report:

I've watched 42 movies in 30 days. All but about 3 were on the channel.
I bought a Roku specifically for it after 2 weeks.
It's singularly responsible for me falling in love with film.
As far as I'm concerned, it has the best library of any streaming service I've ever used.
It ownssss.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

To add on to the above:

The Blob, Gimme Shelter, Night of the Living Dead

Gonna second Gimme Shelter. It's one of the most riveting documentary/concert films I've ever seen. It's like a 90 minute long trainwreck in slow motion. There is a bit of somewhat graphic violence captured at the end of the film, however.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

hahaha holy poo poo that's cool.

is it an ear? please tell me it's an ear

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I was very glad when Cries and Whispers ended. I think I enjoyed it?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

fenix down posted:

Dumb question: which movie is the still from on the Criterion Channel homepage?

I believe that is The Virgin Suicides

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Do not miss Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Anybody watch any of the Japanese Noir collection on the channel? Any recommendations?

I've watched a few of the films in The Gamblers collection - I love love loved McCabe and Mrs. Miller and really enjoyed California Split as well. First Altman's I've seen and I'm super impressed - going to track down and watch Nashville and The Long Goodbye this weekend. I also watched Hard Eight which was a fine debut but definitely not my favorite PT Anderson film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

4K coming

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1425492981814005768