Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Completely dead month for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheYellowFog posted:

Just ordered For All Mankind and Paris, Texas on blu-ray from the amazon sale. I know nothing about For All Mankind except what I've heard about it being one of the best looking blu-rays, so I went for it.

It's a documentary about going to the moon, it rules

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Different time, different DVD market, different Criterion strategy. Would never happen nowadays - not to speak ill of the films necessarily, just based on their audience and current studio DVD marketing practices.

They just put out Benjamin Button so it's not like only good movies get in. Considering Bay's current output I don't think we'll see another one of HIS movies but there's no reason to say another summer blockbuster type film won't ever get in.

They have to subsidize the rest of the collection somehow, you know?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There are no subtitles for the English dialogue on the Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence blu, and it's really loving annoying.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Smoove J posted:

Antichrist is some mad, beautiful poo poo.

(Chaos Reigns!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4NDN8dqo4

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You guys need to read the whole stories!

"Movies, unlike most of our TV programs, aren’t shot with ad breaks in mind, and it has always been tricky to find opportune moments to inject ad breaks in movies on Hulu.com so that we can compensate content owners while maintaining the optimum user experience. For Criterion, thanks to our advertising partners, Hulu Plus subscribers will be able to watch the Criterion Collection free of interruption. (Any ads will play up front.) For those who don’t have a Hulu Plus subscription, each month we’ll still rotate a few Criterion titles through Hulu.com with our normal periodic ad breaks."

Other highlights: Criterion has streaming rights to "over 800 movies", and they're going to start putting up the DVD supplements as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went ahead and tried a few things out since I'm all excited. The 720p streaming looks really good, but it's not available on every film (I looked at Modern Times and Mala Noche). There weren't ads at the beginning of either, so maybe they haven't worked that out yet. It's obviously not a blu-ray replacement but a good resource for just checking out movies you were on the fence about. Hopefully it'll cut down on disappointing blind-buys.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why would there be ads if you're already paying for the premium service?

Hulu puts ads in everything (except their criterions). Hulu Plus just gives you access to more content + the ability to use Hulu on the PS3/other things.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Too many good releases in August. I'll probably pick up The Killing, Battle for Algiers, and If.

If... isn't the best movie ever but I'm a sucker for the school age drama genre.

edit: The Killing announcement reminded me that I should get Paths of Glory and it turned out to only be 18 bucks on Amazon if anyone else was thinking about buying it

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 16, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My entire sale haul was a High and Low preorder. I tend to be happy enough just watching most things through Hulu anymore, but Kurosawa is one of the directors I want to have an actual collection from.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sad they changed the cover for The Rules of the Game, the new one is really ugly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Super Mad that 12 Angry Men isn't eligible.

Went with The Rules of the Game (my favorite movie, the one that got me into movies as anything beyond disposable entertainment) and the Three Colors Trilogy.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 1, 2011

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, it kinda sucks about some of the absent titles, though a lot of them are available from Netflix on Blu-Ray (including the Colors Trilogy!) so that's nice.

It's even weirder to me when they have a ton of stuff up that, as far as I'm aware, they haven't released on DVD at all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I honestly can't believe they're putting out Tiny Furniture.

Looks like February is a skippable month for me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Blind-bought Beauty and the Beast purely on principle. Amazon's shipped 12 Angry Men, so I'm looking forward to having a good movie week.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just watched De Palma's Blow Out. I really liked 3/4ths of it, but the climax is just so over the top and goofy that it took what good will I had for the film and just tossed it all away.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pfirti86 posted:

Have to agree with this statement. Criterion is pretty good about having representatives from all sorts of different genres (Armageddon comes to mind), and like it or not mumblecore is (was?) sort of a thing in the mid-2000s.

I just finished watching Tiny Furniture. It wasn't as terrible as some of you were making it out to be, but I found myself really starting to hate the main character about 10 minutes into the film, and that feeling never went away.

That's the second biggest reason I hate it. The biggest reason is that I think it was trying to be a comedy and it's the most aggressively unfunny thing I've seen in ages.

I don't disagree that they should have a nod to mumblecore in the collection but I'm pretty sure there are actual good mumblecore films.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lena Dunham's show premiered on HBO tonight so I wanted to take this opportunity to remind people that they should never, ever watch Tiny Furniture.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pfirti86 posted:

Goddamn. Just seeing that again brings up all sorts of feelings about 9/11 :(.

I just discovered that my library at the University of Michigan pretty much has every Criterion DVD out there right now (including Tokyo Olympiad, which is currently out of print and unavailable on NetFlix). Seriously debating killing my NetFlix account.

If just watching Criterions is your thing you should have a hulu plus account over netflix anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got the e-mail for the B&N sale a few minutes ago. I think I'm just going to pick up the Samurai Trilogy, maybe Harold and Maude. A lot of the stuff I'm looking at doesn't have enough of a discount over amazon to make it a GET IT NOW kind of purchase.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Origami Dali posted:

So, is The Friends of Eddie Coyle as good as it's rep? Worth a blind buy?

I definitely think so. Robert Mitchum is pretty amazing in it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I wish they'd be faster with re-releasing prior DVD releases. I know they have to secure the rights again for Blu-Ray and all that but I don't think it should take as long.

It's not like they can just dump them all out at once anyway, that's just basic business stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Amazon's having a small sale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...0HWDCG1ZJWNY088

I was planning to upgrade Rashomon and Brazil, so it's a nice sale for me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This should make some people in this thread happy.

quote:

Eighteen of Satyajit Ray's films will soon be restored to iimprove their longevity

Ray's timeless classics will now be protected from the ravages of time. The Criterion Collection, which has restored some of the world's best-known classics and critically successful obscure movies like 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' (1928), M (1931), 'The Children of Paradise' (1945) apart from Chaplin films and works of Akira Kurosawa, is set to do a repeat with 18 of Satyajit Ray's movies.

Having bought the home video rights of The Apu Trilogy, Charulata, Mahanagar and Nayak among others, they are set to do "frame by frame" restoration before distributing them in the US and Canada. What's more, director Abbey Lustgartern is in town to film personal accounts shared by artistes who have worked with Ray, to go with each film.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went ahead and picked up the Zatoichi box set, but that's my whole budget for this sale and the next one. Totally worth it, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, someone didn't do their research considering they're hitting spine #700 in February.

And that doesn't even count the movies they have on hulu that aren't proper releases, the eclipse series...

It's probably closer to 8-900, right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got the Zatoichi box set today and it's beautiful. I also own the BBS set, though, and if I had to recommend one as a blind buy it would definitely be the BBS set. It's broader and weirder and everyone should see Head and Easy Rider at least once.

The Zatoichi box set rules, but it's 25 movies about a samurai so you kinda go into that one knowing if you want it or not.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't know that I'd buy it, but Hearts and Minds is on Hulu and should definitely be watched.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Scanners and The Big Chill? Dope.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Did they even raise prices on their blu-rays once they went dual-format? I feel like they didn't but I only buy these things in sales anymore.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think lot of those are from newsletter hints, Polanski's Macbeth definitely is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Slate Action posted:

Does Criterion ever put out-of-print movies back into print? Like, if I want a copy of Army of Shadows without having to pay $65 to a reseller, am I out of luck?

They usually go out of print because they lose the rights, in this case Army of Shadows is with Studio Canal now. You might be able to import it if you have a region free player. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Army-of-Shadows-Blu-ray/66157/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

How do people usually find out that a Criterion is going out of print?

They announce it before they're gone.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope you can get through Shoah. I couldn't.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Why not? I had to break it up into 3 or 4 viewings (more due to outside commitments than anything else), but other than that I found it mesmerizing and emotional. The running time was not near as intimidating as it seemed it would be

I just got really, really sad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

F for Fake is one of my favorite things, not even movies, just things, ever. It'll be my once-yearly outside of a sale purchase.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up Videodrome, The Hidden Fortress and Scanners today, then I went home and finally got around to watching Repo Man.

Good day.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 20, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they're acknowledging the problem and sending out replacement discs for free, I don't really think it's a big deal. Things happen, sometimes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GrandpaPants posted:

I did just notice that the price for the set is for 4 kinda tiny posters. 8 x 10 is like, smaller than a piece of paper, drat. That kinda deflates my interest a bit.

You can put them all in the same frame with some nice matting, it'll look sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Basebf555 posted:

I picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box set and I already have Seven Samurai. If I love all three of those then can I assume I will also love Hidden Fortress? I don't usually blind-buy Criterions but I haven't been disappointed in a Kurosawa film yet.

Hidden Fortress is good. Throne of Blood is good. High and Low is a masterpiece.