Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

So Criterion just posted this on facebook...

Is this something that's already been confirmed or is it something new? I personally have no idea.

Looks like it might be the top half of some new cover art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

i am not so sure posted:

Where is this information? I love Solondz.

They confirmed they were working on it on facebook.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

FitFortDanga posted:

gently caress. I just watched the Saura Flamenco Trilogy (from the library) and really liked it... but it's OOP and going for $150. So much for my hopes of snagging it at the next B&N sale.

I feel your pain. I watched The Third Man for the first time about a week or two after the Criterion went OOP. I regret the timing.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

So the people at cf.org are doing the usual sleuthing and it looks like we're probably getting Naked on blu-ray because the page says "Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Mike Leigh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition", which is pretty telling.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

bat duck posted:

The picture at the top with the face in the reflection. What movie is that?

I might be wrong, but I think that's one of the flashes of Charlotte Gainsbourg's face in the train window of Antichrist.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Friedpundit posted:

I tried a Tineye search and it brought me over to Corridors of Blood http://www.criterion.com/films/806-corridors-of-blood

Which I wanna see now.

Edit: Oh, nope, thats not it. It brought me there because that same screenshot was in the corner advertising scary movies.

Yeah, Corridors of Blood is B&W too. In the end I'd place my bets on Antichrist, because that's a forest flickering by in the background, and we know how much Antichrist loves its forests. Someone crazy enough to own it could check, maybe.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

It's Antichrist. I don't own it but then I remembered it was on netflix, so I could just stream it to satisfy my curiosity. I couldn't get the exact frame, but it's pretty evident: http://i.imgur.com/WHtUq.png

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

And another clue:

So, more samurais then?

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The Certified Copy cover is supposed to look like the book at the beginning of the film, and since one of the questions of the film is whether a copy of something is as good as the original, it's clever that the cover itself is a copy.

That said, even with the rationale, it's ugly as hell.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

boom boom boom posted:

I picked up a copy of Cronos at that Barnes and Noble sale, do I now have every Ron Perlman movie Criterion's done?

Yep. http://www.criterion.com/people/117550-ron-perlman

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

TrixRabbi posted:

The image file calls it Wacky Lambs, so maybe not Badlands?

Every image file says that it's "wacky something" for some reason I can't recall - something about the new logo being called the "wacky C". All it does is help us know that if there is a pun there, it's on the word Lambs.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Finally have some disposable income for this, so I went nuts and got:

Three Colours
Solaris
Seventh Seal
Branded to Kill
The Royal Tennenbaums
In the Mood for Love (I bought a Wong Kar-Wai, how shocking)

All in all, good haul.

edit: Man, two French movies, and one English, Swedish, Polish, Japanese, Chinese, and Russian each. Talk about variety.

DetoxP fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 30, 2012

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

TrixRabbi posted:

Originally wasn't going to buy anything this sale since I don't have much to spend right now. But my willpower is nothing. Ordered Chungking Express online since it'll probably be my last chance to buy it for less than $80. Going in blind to this one.

If it helps at all, I like that movie so much I made it my avatar, so I think you made a good choice there.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

friendo55 posted:

One of my many orders came in yesterday, and that's Eric Rohmer's boxset. My first ever time with B&N where two of the corners arrived dented. Safe to say I'm not impressed. But hey, not the end of the world considering its being shipped internationally to Canada - and for such a great price!

I'm also in Canada and I got a smashed set of Night of the Hunter. I just emailed criterion and explained I'm very anal and I don't need the disc, just a new case, please. They sent one right away, showed up quick.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

SubG posted:

loving finally.

Jesus gently caress. Have I missed something or is that completely out of nowhere?

Not completely out of nowhere. I think Criterion's Hulu page has been holding a lot of Zatoichi for a while, and most things on there eventually make the transition.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there some difference between the version of Breathless that's being released on the 25th and the older blu-ray one?

I think it's just the same but with a DVD and a blu-ray, because they're all about packing in both formats now.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

caiman posted:

What a lame grand prize.

Maybe you still get to pick some like the other guys though? Or else what would be the point.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Fellini's Satyricon, it seems.

edit: doh, beaten

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I think M looks fine, so people debate that, but stuff restored from Pathť has looked like garbage lately, which includes Children of Paradise, Les Visiteurs du Soir, and I hear Earrings of Madame de isn't look so good either.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm the only guy who likes Three Colours: White the most, so give that one a fair shake, since people only seem to talk about Blue and Red.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Fanny and Alexander is the greatest movie ever made so yeah you should watch it soon and watch the TV version for sure.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Xenomrph posted:

I'm just curious, how does the numbering handle bluray re-releases of older formats? Do they keep the old number?

Yep.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Escobarbarian posted:

Have they ever announced a release without cover art before?

All the time.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Looks like it's Taipei Story (tie-pay). Wish I was clever enough to figure that out.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Did anyone figure out the clue from yesterday? The picture was an angry clock.

I heard it was Mike Leigh's Meantime.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Nate RFB posted:

I'm rolling the dice a little bit on Before Trilogy. Nothing about the synopsis sounds like it'll be up my alley, but it seems like it's "the one" of this particular sale so I have to at least give it a try.

Just don't give up after the first one. Not everyone likes it, and frankly I don't care for it much. And yet, the 2nd one is maybe my favourite movie of all time, definitely top 5.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight. Is there a consensus on whether first timers should watch the theatrical cut or miniseries version of Fanny and Alexander? Apologies, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times.

The miniseries version is superior, full stop. Just watch that when you get around to F&A.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

VoodooXT posted:

Rashomon's aspect ratio is 1.37:1.

Well, that's not how I remember it.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Cacator posted:

Any canucks who ordered from Unobstructed View have an idea of how long it takes to ship something? My order's been stuck on "Processing" for a week now, they slow as hell

Mine took like 9 days to tell me it was "complete" but then showed up in my mailbox almost immediately after. Maybe just a day.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm okay with it if it's a slipcover with the Morse code cut out.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Franchescanado posted:

His most well-known is My Winniepeg.

I went to check this out as a start and it's not available in Canada. I'm literally in Winnipeg. This is a special kind of pain.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Electronico6 posted:

Deep Cover is very good, and it features Jeff Goldblum wearing a leather trenchcoat that's two sizes bigger than him.

Coming back to the Wong Box. A video of the changes to Chungking Express. You can also check out the differences in color grading.

https://twitter.com/SadHillDevan/status/1382727792274464779?s=20

I'm unusually picky about this since this might be my favourite movie, but I'm so bewildered by the changes. The color grading is fine, and the new credits - though hideous - don't really make a big difference (the movie is over at that point, so whatever). But that crudely inserted needle drop of "Dreams" is so wildly unnecessary and absolutely changes the tone of the scene for the significant worse. I have no clue what the hell Wong was thinking there.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Electronico6 posted:

In my research into these restorations I did found out that the extra Dreams drop did exist previously in the Hong Kong cut of Chungking Express, a version that played only in Hong Kong and was only released in HK home media(vhs/vcd/laserdisc/dvd).

https://wong-kar-wais-love-odysseys.blogspot.com/2017/09/chungking-express-hk-cut-vs.html

But no other change from HK cut are present in the Wong Box cut. The HK cut does not have the scenes of Brigitte Lin kidnapping the child, notably because the HK audience at the first midnight premier hated the idea of beloved actress Brigitte Lin last film being one where she kidnapped children.(They also hated the missing last reel of the movie ) There's no Indian music, there's scenes exclusive to this version, there even scenes that ordered different.

But then why bring this one thing back from the HK cut? I love the song, but it doesn't really fit the scene.

I'm sure there's reasons for it but imo Criterion should sell these films as entirely different products from what came before. Put a Wong Box Cut sticker on this stuff.(also a Do Not Buy sticker)

Woah, super interesting. Had no idea this was in a previous version. I'm trying to let go from the bias of preferring what I experienced the first time but... I agree with you, I think it's just a bad fit to have that music in that scene.

Well, I'm glad I have the old Chungking Express blu-ray, I'll just keep holding onto that.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm really glad that I have World of Wong Kar Wai and I know it's not fun to peepee poopoo all over something people were excited for (especially me... I mean, look at my avatar) but it's impossible for me to admit that I'm not frustrated with a lot of it. The Chungking Express changes are relatively minor but still quite bizarre, and the colour grading on the other films is extra frustrating. This is a $200 boxset, the least they could've done is had "original cut" and "Wong's *NEW* Version" side by side, which I think would be lovely. I'm interested in the changes Wong wants to make, but not at the expense of the original, especially because the changes seem just... lazy.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A lot of these films weren't widely available (in some cases at all) over here until now, so I really have a hard time nitpicking about poo poo I'd only ever seen low quality rips of before.

I would probably argue that the less available a film is, the more valuable film preservation would be, rather than the other way around? But I'm glad you're happy.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The idea that the other versions will continue to remain available is pretty easily challenged by what Wong did with Ashes of Time. The real frustration isn't that we don't like some of the edits, it's that these will basically become the only available versions until someone decides to do this again which I imagine will be decades from now. Swing and a miss!

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's true; you are the gatekeeper of your own experience. For the 90% of people who now have access to this catalogue of films at what is less than $30 each, who would probably never bother to notice some minor changes had been made here and there, good tidings. For those individuals who seek the absolute purity of expression, happiness dependent on strict adherence to the original vision in their memory, who must now trudge through the grey market of $50-100 versions in order to feel at ease, good tidings as well.

Is it really that out of place in a thread for Criterion - which is some nerdy poo poo - to promote film preservation? I've said nothing to imply that your enjoyment of the set isn't valid, so why don't you let people talk about the importance of preservation and archival work without chiming in constantly with "Well personally, I don't care ."

On another Wong note, I just watched the original Ashes of Time and was kind of shocked at how clear it is that this is a WKW film, since I always got the idea that this was a movie where his whole style got subsumed by studio direction and the huge budget. It's actually really good, and I'm surprised it's dismissed so often since it really is quite similar to Days of Being Wild and Chungking Express in terms of tone. I haven't seen Redux yet which I'm interested to see mostly because it's available in much better quality than the original cut is, but I heard they cut the electronic score in Redux which sounds like a huge bummer.

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

DeimosRising posted:

I donít really care about versions of a movie per se because you can go down that rabbit hole forever and not determine what the original is (see in this case the stuff about when the Faye Wong song plays)

Yeah, I'm willing to admit there are shades of grey here when it comes to movies that have been released with lots of alternative versions and weirdness like that. Hell, I'm willing to retract that criticism since it's apparently not some new change, even though on the personal side I really dislike it. But that might just be my bias.

I still don't understand why everything got pushed green. I wonder if it's WKW trying to present these movies like they've always been part of some holistic and aesthetically consistent set?

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

DeimosRising posted:

Are the versions of the Wong films that they put up on the channel this month the box set versions? I loaded up in the mood for love and skipped around for a few seconds and it didnít look like the screenshots at all

Chungking Express is definitely the older version (i.e., not the box set), and I'm reasonably sure the other ones are too.

edit: Fallen Angels is also the older version.

DetoxP fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DetoxP
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Yeah I'm not sure if the new one looks better but surely we're not taking the original Universal transfer as gospel, right?