Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Welcome to the world of Barnes and Noble sales!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Eric WK posted:

I ordered Beauty and the Beast over the weekend and it originally said that it wouldn't ship until August 12th, but then it shipped last night and will be here Wednesday. I wonder if they give members preferential treatment when it comes to low stock items.

Not sure. I placed an order for tons of stuff on the 12th. It's supposed to ship today, but it's 9:00pm EST where I am, so, uh, it's probably not shipping today. And I'm a member. :ohdear:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Eric WK posted:

Well for what it's worth, my tracking didn't begin until after 9 last night (I'm also on the East Coast).

When did you get your shipping notice?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Welp, my whole order has been delayed :suicide:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
They are, but only if the release date happens before the sale is over. That's why people were buying July's releases.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
God yes, buy both immediately.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Three Colors, Rushmore, 12 Angry Men, The Rules of the Game, Sabu! Eclipse as well.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If it goes like it did last year, all of these will qualify for the B&N sale. :madmax:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

morestuff posted:

Had they been hinting at 12 Angry Men? As somehow who doesn't follow Criterion's rights arrangements too closely, that was pretty shocking.

It had been brought up a few times, I believe.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

barkingclam posted:

Is Rules worth the upgrade? I'm not really seeing a difference, save the new art.

The picture quality. It will be worth it.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

McNutty posted:

Any word on who did the cover for 12 Angry Men? It looks like Sean Phillips, but he already did Blast of Silence so that seems unlikely.

Designers, uh, are allowed to do more than one cover for them.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Rosi's The Moment of Truth perhaps?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Just save any money you would spend on this sale for the November sale.

I do not practice what I preach. :negative:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

Stylistically, Sherman's March

Not only is it stylistically similar to F for Fake, it's also one of the best documentaries ever made.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Doesn't work on preorders, in case anyone's wondering.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

I am in love with this.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
You shouldn't be reluctant with the Suzukis. Their dvds are among Criterion's worst.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Watch the miniseries. It's a Fanny and Alexander type of situation where both are great, but there's a lot more to the miniseries than to the movie.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The Louis Malle documentaries are essential.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Me too. :woop:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
http://www.criterion.com/explore/119-scary-movies

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Really? Which? I'm not a big horror fan and haven't seen a fair number of those.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I absolutely hate the way Criterion has handled subtitles on bluray. I can't read them at all in many scenes because of the white text on a white image. I've increased contrast, etc., but nothing really helps all that much, and they seem to be oblivious about the issue.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I would unironically love for it to be Tommy Boy.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Just a word of warning: Barnes and Noble has put pre-releases (that were not due to come out within the span of the sale) up before by mistake, and it can be a real hassle getting your money back when they either cancel your order outright or bump up the prices on you.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone sell me on Fanny and Alexander? I heard a lot of praise for it back when it was announced, but nobody ever explained why exactly.

It's Bergman's ultimate achievement, his most autobiographical film, and one that fuses all the major themes of his previous work together: family, religion, death, the supernatural, et. al. It's gorgeously photographed and perfectly acted and there are scenes and images that will take your breath away and stick with you long after you're done watching. Buy buy buy one of us one of us.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Too, they've already fixed the bug and you can no longer preorder the December/January titles at the sale price. I'm keeping my Gorin pre-order open JUST IN CASE because I'm going to buy it regardless so whatever.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
All Kieslowski is worth a blind buy. :colbert:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I would recommend blind buying Three Colors over Veronique. You get a range of Kieslowski that way, as well as still getting your Irene Jacob fix.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

FitFortDanga posted:

If you want my opinion, you're far better off with either of those than Mystery Train.

:getout:

But seriously, just buy all the Criterion blurays. All of them.

(I should clarify that although I agree that Days of Heaven and The Night of the Hunter are better films than Mystery Train, it in no way is a bad thing to own and you shouldn't regret buying it over one of the two aforementioned)

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Ratedargh posted:

That's probably fair, but I am a big fan of Jarmusch. I even kind of, sort of, liked The Limits of Control...though I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

I think everyone secretly liked Limits.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
This is Barnes and Noble we're talking about; it won't get cleared up.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The Night of the Hunter is essential.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Also, buy copies of Fanny and Alexander to give away to other people. It's how I got my friend's girlfriend into foreign movies.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Pigeon Shamus posted:

It's getting expensive.

Welcome to the desert of the real.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If you don't buy the Louis Malle documentaries, you are a racist! And no one wants to be a racist.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Leningrad Cowboys Meet Moses is a dud, but still mildly interesting. The rest of the stuff in the set, though, is awesome.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Twin Cinema posted:

I only ordered the Godard because it's OOP. I loved the film, but it wasn't a "must buy" for me.

"loved" and "must buy" mean exactly the same thing to me. :saddowns:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

friendo55 posted:

I've already spent enough money on this sale - what's another $40?

That's the spirit! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I didn't get one. :saddowns: