Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Space Cooter posted:

I've been watching "The Samurai Trilogy" - I got this like five years ago or something and only got around to watching the first one - and while I'm enjoying the movies I am really disappointed in the quality of the discs. The picture quality is dreadful, there's lots of mistakes in the subtitles, and the only extras on the dvds are theatrical trailers. They're really early Criterion releases though (I think spine #s 14-16), so oh well. Maybe they'll get a re-release someday.

I know how you feel. I wish I had paid closer attention to what the special features were when I bought the original Criterion release of Diabolique. It is bare bones supreme. Of course, now that the Blu is on the way (complete with asskicking art) I won't be too hesitant to upgrade. Good thing I didn't grab the Criterion release of The Long Good Friday though. Empty! Pretty much every new release now, though, has a slew of special features. What was the last release that was close to bare bones anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I RT'd it. Haven't used Twitter in a year but this is worth it. Even though I a)will not win and b)am probably not even able to win because I live in Canada. :argh:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I've only seen Blue but that was enough for me to be sold on the trilogy. More Kieslowski from Criterion is great news.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

penismightier posted:

Lost Souls cover is boss.

For the first month in some time I am pretty impressed by all the covers. I've never seen any of them but they all have piqued my interest.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Here's a question for my fellow Canadians who have ordered through Barnes and Noble during their 50 % off sales in the past. I have always avoided them because of the international shipping and duty I assume would nearly negate the discount. I really want to use the next sale (in November, right?) but would like a heads up on if it is worth it.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Thank you friends, that is good information to have. I will certainly not waste the next opportunity to get cheaper criterion movies!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Rick Deckard posted:

Any one up in Canada or anywhere getting this order status message?
Unable to process order. Please call 1-877-379-0036, or 212-414-6024, if outside U.S.

My order is:
Fanny & Alexander blu-ray
Three Colors blu-ray
Carlos blu-ray

I didn't get an error message at all, sorry I can't help.

I am, however, stoked about my order:

Island of Lost Souls, Phantom Carriage, Mystery Train, Revanche, Repulsion, Che, Kagemusha and 8 1/2.

Of those, I've only sen 8 1/2. I'm still very excited about this order, though I wanted to get Days of Heaven and Night of the Hunter as well but I decided this is enough...more than enough. It's never really enough, is it?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

If you want my opinion, you're far better off with either of those than Mystery Train.

That's probably fair, but I am a big fan of Jarmusch. I even kind of, sort of, liked The Limits of Control...though I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If I'd known that all the Criterions on Hulu Plus were ad-free and almost entirely in HD I'd've subscribed earlier, drat.

drat it, I really wish Hulu could play in Canada.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Being John Malkovich is fantastic :colbert:

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's excited for it...if it is the movie being teased.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Cacator posted:

Not for us poor, miserable Canucks.

I'm pretty sure mine are coming via carrier pigeon. This is getting silly.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

To all my fellow Canadians,

I had three different orders from the B&N sale that were shipped on three different dates. It has taken 19 business days for the first two to show up. So, my B&N experience has been dramatically better then the 30+ I had to wait for last year. If you haven't received yours, I am sure they'll be there in the next week.

I sure hope so. The fact that they don't have a way to track where the hell my packages are is a disconcerting thing. Amazon, while prices aren't as good as this particular deal, is so incredibly reliable with everything that it keeps me coming back. While I don't need things to arrive next day or next week (or in this case next month) I'd like to know what the status is. The price is right but the service has been poo poo. I emailed them about it a couple weeks ago and they gave me an arrival estimate on all three packages. Those estimated dates have come and gone and I still haven't received one.

The only solace is the price was right, so I guess I shouldn't really be complaining.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Is the guy digging the grave representing Shallow Grave? That would be pretty great. My other thought was it might be Cemetery Man, but I doubt it.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

They posted an image from Being John Malkovich on the FB page, in reference to next week's announcements.

Sweet. I get the impression that it's not well loved around these parts but I've been a big fan since the first time I saw it. I've been putting off buying it on DVD forever...guess this will be a good excuse to grab it.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

That's the best cover art they've had in months. I will, wallet willing, buy that upon release.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I love the Rashomon cover. I can understand how some may not like it, but it is up my alley.

I'm interested to see some more Pasolini since Salo is my only representation of his work in my memory bank.

I've never seen Heaven's Gate though I'm curious.

I've never gotten my hands on any Eclipse set and I'm thinking I might start with this one.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

My thought is I'm really bad at interpreting these clues.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Alright, last gasp of the sale for me upon payday tomorrow. Which ones should I focus on of the following?

Rosemary's Baby
Island of Lost Souls
Kiss Me Deadly
Anatomy of a Murder
Three Colors: Blue, White, Red
M
12 Angry Men
Diabolique
Two-Lane Blacktop
In The Mood For Love
Tokyo Story
Young Mr. Lincoln
Bigger Than Life
Safety Last
House
Sullivan's Travels (already have the Sturgess box set, but still love this damned movie)

Get House no matter what. Other than that I'd run with Two-Lane Blacktop, Anatomy of a Murder, and M. I guess it all depends on how many you plan on getting. Three Colors is probably not a bad investment. 12 Angry Men is awesome too. Lots of good choices here.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

My first viewing of House was one big 'what the hell did I just watch?' My greatest joy came when I watched it a second time showing it to a friend who hadn't yet had the pleasure. Anticipating his reactions to the wackadoo poo poo he was taking in was excellent.

As far as what makes it a great film, well it's a genre exercise that defies its genre trappings for the most part. Loppy upbeat music? Why not throw some of that in there? By maintaining a fairly cheerful tone at the beginning, as well as establishing a sense of foreboding in a dreamlike haze, it makes the rise to the climax that much more effective. Every character, while beholden to a single trait (the fat one, the smart one with glasses, the musical one, the pretty one, etc.) they are all distinguishable from one another with their own specific personality. Watch the remake to Friday the 13th or pretty much any "teenagers die horribly" horror movie today. Swap any of them out for each other and you'd hardly notice.

House is certainly all about style, but the style is so incredibly vivid and fresh even today that it's a landmark in horror cinema. I think it might be the best haunted house movie I've ever seen and I can't wait to show it to other unsuspecting people.

Fake edit: I randomly saw it advertised last October when I was living in Beijing. It played in a small tapas bar called Mas in an area called Gulou. It wasn't packed, but my friend and I had a great seat and the atmosphere was great. I still regret not being able to go back when they played Troll 2.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

I went with Repo Man

Just watched Repo Man last night. It is worth the buy. What a great, weird, fun time.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

friendo55 posted:

It's sure quiet in here with the B&N sale starting today.

Only some of them are popping up online as 50% off. I'm waiting to see when the rest go down because I really want to get World on a Wire but it's still at list price.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Ordered Frances Ha, World on a Wire, The Earrings of Madame De..., Late Spring, La Notte, The Darjeeling Limited, and Children of Paradise. Only one that isn't a blind buy is Darjeeling.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Momotaros posted:

Lies, lies, lies. Every moment of House is legitimately fun and hilarious.

Agreed. Every time I watch House, I like it more and more.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

Is there a chance that Criterion, or anyone else, will release Stalker on blu-ray?

God, I hope so.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I think it's less to do with running out of steam and more to do with not wanting to release something for the sake of releasing it. Which is preferable.

On a related note, I've never grabbed an Eclipse set...which ones are among your favourites?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations on Eclipse sets, everyone! That was a really varied selection. I have a lot of viewing to do.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Incidentally I haven't seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy either, is it worth checking out?

Yeah, as has been said it is not the most exhilarating of movies in terms of action. But it's intricate, incredibly well filmed, with top notch performances from everyone in the cast. It's a slow burn because it's a lot about either sides in an precarious adversarial relationship waiting for the other to reveal itself or make a mistake. It was one of my favourites from that year.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Bit the bullet and placed an order. All blind buys except for one.

Night of the Hunter (only non blind buy)
Branded to Kill
Judex
Thief
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Kuroneko
Walkabout

I'm pretty excited.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Red posted:

I can only talk about Branded to Kill and Walkabout, but I love both.

Branded to Kill is both odd/experimental, and a tight action flick. Both aspects of the flick were wayyyyy ahead of its time - some of the action stuff is just awesome, while some of the animation and sex scenes make you wonder what they were going for.

Walkabout is a story about kids surviving in the Australian Outback, as advertised, with some neat twists thrown in, and a lot of camera shots of a young girl swimming naked. I like it because I dig the survival stuff, but it might feel long to some folks. It's definitely sympathetic to aboriginals, and tries to give you an idea of the coldness of the (outsider) Australians. The director also made The Man Who Fell to Earth, which is about an alien who's manipulated by earth folks (I'm grossly simplifying the plot), but is much more out there, and is just a little more full of itself. If you really love Walkabout, it's at least worth getting Man Who Fell to Earth from Netflix.

My interest is growing! The only Nicolas Roeg film I've seen is Don't Look Now, which I thought was really interesting and pretty whackadoo at times. The order has shipped, so now I wait.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

The Complete Mr. Arkadin also has Welles' novel. It's a pretty sweet set all around.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

Hidden Fortress is good. Throne of Blood is good. High and Low is a masterpiece.

This guy, this guys knows what's up (though I'd say Hidden Fortress is only okay).

High and Low is in the running for my favourite Kurosawa. It's incredible.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

They're a lovely few films. Just keep in mind that while Blue is kind of a dark, but still sweet film... White is hilarious. It's exactly what you'd expect a Polish-French comedy to be.

I watched Blue maybe six or seven years ago, fully intending to get through the rest because I thought it was really drat good. Then...nothing. I need to pick up the box set soon.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah, it's no better than just buying them at HMV. It sucks.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

That is a good looking slate of releases. I love The Player and In a Lonely Place and really want to dive into more Wenders (I've only seen Paris, Texas and I've seen it twice).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

"Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water?"

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

It's going to be US only...isn't it? :argh:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Your collection has Dersu Uzala?!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I wish. I just meant out of everything criterion released on bluray and eclipse. Obviously I don't have the AK 50 boxset either.

It's the one I keep hoping for and while every month is chock full of great releases, I shed a single tear every time it's absent.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

It's been a while since I've indulged because the Canadian $ is so poo poo and has been for some time, but it's still cheaper than taking the plunge at HMV or Amazon.ca.

My order is small but mighty:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Chimes at Midnight
Close-Up
A Touch of Zen

The latter two are blind buys. I'm a huge fan of the Altman and the Welles, already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:cripes: am I in opposite land?

Long Goodbye is my favourite movie...so...

I'm just about to watch Alphaville. Wish me luck!