Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Speaking of which, where the gently caress is Moonrise Kingdom, Criterion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
My first Criterion order! I'm so excited! I picked up:

The Game
Thief
Traffic

Looks like they're selling out of some stuff already, including Mad Mad World and King of the Hill, so anyone on the fence should probably place your order now.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Red posted:

Not complaining, since I love most of Anderson's films, but why is this?

Criterion has had a close working relationship with Anderson for well over ten years, they like his films, people in general have responded well to the releases, they probably sell well, etc. It's a no-brainer for both parties.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Does Criterion ever put out-of-print movies back into print? Like, if I want a copy of Army of Shadows without having to pay $65 to a reseller, am I out of luck?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hm, that's too bad. I don't have a region-free player, so I think I'll just snag a copy off of Ebay for $40.

e: seems I got lucky, Army of Shadows seems to be one of the cheapest out-of-print Criterions out there. Last Year at Marienbad goes for around $70.

The Third Man goes for $200+, and the Studio Canal version apparently sucks :negative:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 16, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So, about that new interview Criterion was going to put on the Life Aquatic Blu-ray but then apparently cancelled, the one where they were going to talk with Goldblum, Murray, Dafoe, etc.

Turns out they actually did film the interview, but it didn't make it on the disc for some reason. So they posted it online!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

robix smash posted:

Anyone hear any word yet about when the BN sale might be starting?

If it's like the last 4+ years, the second week of July should be a good bet.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently a Barnes & Noble employee (?) recently posted this online. I cannot confirm its accuracy.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just watched Fear Eats the Soul for the first time today, wow. It's a good movie, but I don't think I need to own it right now.

Also, yesssss Eraserhead.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Muholland Drive, La Dolce Vita, and Time Bandits are coming soon.

Saw this news while the forums were down, and my reaction can be summed up as: :circlefap:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Any ideas?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I Before E posted:

Something about the Walls Of Jericho.

There's a 1948 film titled The Walls of Jericho, directed by John M. Stahl, who also directed the 1935 version of Magnificent Obsession. Maybe that's it?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Just to provide complete confirmation, this banner just showed up on the B&N website:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cacator posted:

How long does the sale run for? Scanners comes out on the 15th...

Officially it runs until July 28th, so you're fine.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone else a B&N member and noticing that your discount isn't being applied to orders online? It should be 60%, to my knowledge the extra 10% applies to all sale merchandise, but I'm only getting 50% off.

The 10% membership discount only applies to in-store purchases, doesn't it? Online purchases don't get the discount.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So this is my first B&N sale and what have you people done to me...?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zenintrude posted:

Good job, rookie mistake of buying DVDs though.

I figured Hoop Dreams wouldn't look any better on Blu-Ray since it was shot with camcorders, and if/when Short Cuts gets an upgrade I'll just sell/give away my copy, no sweat.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Criterion just posted this on Tumblr:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Looks like we're getting:

The Complete Jacques Tati (some upgraded, some new I presume?)
The Vanishing (upgrade)
F for Fake (upgrade)
My Darling Clementine

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Oh sweet jesus

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind
It Happened One Night
L'Avventura
Tootsie
Les Blank: Always for Pleasure

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

robix smash posted:

The Thin Blue Line?

Ohh yes. Give me more Morris.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

You teases :argh:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Safe
Time Bandits
The Night Porter
Eclipse Series 41: Kinoshita and World War II

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So the browning is only an issue if you bought one of those releases in 2010? Are those releases safe to buy now?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

FitFortDanga posted:

I've just checked for myself and the rumors are true: there's a bungled optical on Eraserhead. At around 65 minutes, when Henry meets The Lady in the Radiator, the screen is supposed to flare into white. Instead it cuts to black. It may sound like a tiny thing, but it really bums me out. This is one of my favorite films, I've seen it probably 20 times. Those few seconds are going to feel wrong every time I see it. I hope they fix it and offer a replacement disc.

I've heard about this; apparently they're working on it and the film should be safe to buy in a 'few weeks.' They're also doing replacements, with the same time frame.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Ineffiable posted:

I think the Eraserheads are out of stock at TCM. Do you think they'll restock with the new edition and send those out?

I can't be completely sure; all I know is that people that have been emailing Criterion about the issue have been getting a response email with the line "When the replacement discs are available in a couple of weeks we'll send you the correct version."

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The new art for The Night Porter has been released, if anyone is interested. (Borderline NSFW?)

Also a lot of people were saying that there would be a flash sale today, and it looks like a lot of people were wrong.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Apparently this is Don't Look Now.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there won't be a flash sale this month. Maybe they're overwhelmed dealing with the defective disk/Eraserhead replacements.

e: see next post.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
WELP

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Red posted:

Is the Eraserhead in stock the corrected one?

Criterion said on their Twitter page that it is.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Supposedly it's Odd Man Out.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Mercaptopropyl posted:

The player wearing the odd number isn't the one who's out, but yeah it has to be Odd Man Out.

The guy who is out is weaing polka dot socks, a propeller beanie, a cape, etc. which makes him pretty odd.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
C'mon Barnes and Noble, just let me use this 20% coupon on a pre-order of the Les Blank set. I'm going to buy it anyway when it comes out, the sale will still be going on, only this coupon will have long since expired.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone know how long this sale lasts? Curious if there's enough time for family to get in for some Christmas gifts later, or if they should go ahead and order now.

The B&N sale is scheduled to end on December 1st.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone here own the Louis Malle documentaries set, and if so what do you think of it?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
February 2015 releases:

Every Man For Himself
Don't Look Now
An Autumn Afternoon
Watership Down
Fellini Satyricon
A Day in the Country

I'm gonna be honest, I'm just never going to be satisfied with any of these announcements until Mulholland Drive is in one of them.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

TrixRabbi posted:

That outtake reel on A Day in the Country is twice the length of the actual film.

So is the extra footage reel for Night of the Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

per CriterionForum, it's Ride the Pink Horse (1947).