Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Never has there been a more obvious Adventures in Moviegoing pick than the Safdie Brothers selecting Mikey and Nicky.

Raxivace posted:

Amazing stuff and also Around the World in 80 Days for some reason.

The Saturday Morning Matinee series is weird. I guess they want to have stuff for kids on the service, but I'd expect a parent who's in the Criterion Channel market would have kids precocious enough to appreciate stuff like Dr. Strangelove or Anatomy of a Murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

If you're thinking of movies to watch before they leave Criterion Channel, check out The Juniper Tree. It's an early predecessor of the 2010s wave of "family drama with folk horror trappings" a la The Witch or Hereditary. It has a much more placid tone than those movies, though. It has gorgeous black and white landscape cinematography, and some compelling performances from Bjork and the other much more obscure Icelandic actors.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone posted on Facebook this...

Criterion Channel's June 2020 titles:
Alice, Jan Švankmajer, 1988

Sick! I've wanted to see Alice forever. Original Cast Album is great too.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Chakan posted:

I come again, hat in hand, and request people to look over the movies leaving on june 30th then tell me what they think I should make sure to watch. I only know a few of these, so don't be afraid to shout out anything, even if it seems obvious.

I love Baxter, although if you don't like depictions if dog violence you should steer clear. The Preminger movies, Anatomy of a Murder and Bunny Lake is Missing, are more established classics

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Srice posted:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/leaving-july-31

So what's the good poo poo that's leaving the channel this time around? Last night I watched Pierrot le fou and enjoyed it quite a bit. And I guess I've seen West Side Story ages ago in grade school. Haven't seen anything else. What's the stuff I absolutely have got to see? I definitely wanna hit up a lot of the Godard movies leaving but other than that I don't have any plans.

Age of Innocence is easily a top 5 Scorcese movie. But I'm a Cheerleader is also great.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Hirsute posted:

Actually went to an actual physical B&N location, was hoping they would have the Godzilla set but no luck. Got Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Time Bandits, Jabberwocky, Matewan, and Dazed & Confused. I'm really excited to watch Matewan for the first time, hadn't even heard of it until fairly recently, is it as good as I'm hoping it will be or should I temper my expectations?

Matewan's very good, but when I rewatched it recently the movie was much drier and slowly paced than I had remembered from high school.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Chakan posted:

It’s the middle of the month so I’d like to know what movies are leaving the channel that we should be sure to watch. Leviathan has been on my list for a while so that’s one. There are several particularly old movies leaving & I don’t know how easy they are to see, so if any of them are fun or interesting don’t hesitate, but I do have Nosferatu on physical media so I’m not worried about it.

Husbands and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? are both uniquely engrossing and emotionally violent movies.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

The Music Lovers is one of my top ten movies. The DVD is actually very high quality even though its menus and chaptering are definitely old school, but it needs a Blu Ray release for sure.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Uncle Boonmee Who Can See His Past Lives was pretty good! It was on a lot of critics' best of the decade lists and while I personally wasn't that overwhelmed by it, it has a palpably unique atmosphere.

fenix down posted:

I liked Tarnation quite a bit, but it's way out there. The more obvious choices would be Duck Soup, Baby Jane, Mildred Pierce, and Alice.

I watched Phantom Tollbooth quite a bit as a kid, might throw that on to see if it holds up.

Definitely check out Alice too! As for Phantom Tollbooth, if you like it when Chuck Jones characters look askance at the fourth wall and smirk, that is the movie for you.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

There aren't many really great movies leaving the Channel this month, but you definitely shouldn't miss The Watermelon Woman, Election, or especially Columbus if you haven't seen them already.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Genuine question: how do we know the digital encoding of the DVDs and older Blu-Rays are truer to the original films than these new ones?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Picked up Days of Heaven, The New World, The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez, the post-war Kurosawa boxset and the Andre Gregory and Wallace Shawn boxset. Every past flash sale Gregorio Cortez has been out of print, so this time I had to catch it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

The upcoming Criterion release of Flowers of Shanghai is similarly messed with, with richer colors (i.e. more yellow). I guess I'm not a hardliner on this, though. Obviously, if there was a disc with a new restored version and an "original" version (like the first home release or something) on it, I'd prefer that, but when I compare the new version of Flowers and my library's crappy DVD copy of The Puppetmaster, I'd prefer a restoration that actually works on modern devices, even if it isn't accurate to previous versions. The only way I see to pressure Criterion and other companies to more stringently preserve film would be to boycott these kinds of releases, but on balance I wouldn't want to discourage making these movies available to a wider audience.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Criterion Channel subscribers, make sure you catch Spike Lee's Bamboozled before it leaves the service this month. Starts out as a satire of black representation in media, but it evolves into something much, much darker, almost a horror film.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 27, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Just stop watching movies a minute before they actually end and the app will ask you to Resume or Restart when you open the movie back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SO EMBARRASSING

Really great video from an unlikely source: https://youtu.be/iTBW6jbHgX0