Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What They Found: Criterion Contributors Share Their 2018 Discoveries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Haven't seen anything on twitter yet, but I just got an e-mail about the new Criterion Channel launching on April 8th. They're gonna be stream a new movie for free every week, rotating on Wednesdays, until then.

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1090695174580248576

edit:

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1090706801971118082

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 30, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning was good, but not great.

Finney is great in the lead role. I appreciate that the film neither settles on him being a hero (which he clearly is not) or a villain, but instead an immature rebel with more muscle than common sense. He lives in a dream world, he'd much rather be a drunk than anything else, and he pretty much fucks up the lives of everyone around him.

I loved Shirley Anne Field. Doreen's a quiet character who says a lot with her eyes. She's infatuated with Arthur, but can't decide if she thinks she can straighten him up or if she's scared of him. He seems capable of bringing great harm to her and her family, if he decided to be more than just a bored rogue.

I think what lands flat for me, overall, is that it's clear that Doreen and Arthur's relationship is a doomed one. Arthur will inevitably cheat on Doreen, because he is terrified of settling down, being traditionally happy, or resembling his parents in any way, and he follows his carnal interests without regards for the people it may hurt. He also is terrified of being a parent. And I guess there's value to the mundane resolution with Arthur never getting a comeuppance. There is no punishment, no karmic retribution. He has to live with his guilt, I guess, but he seems more upset that he has to start compromising and playing nice with others. Which sucks for him, I guess, but it's a soft ending for me.

Visually, I loved the movie. The roller coaster scene, the scenes of him falling down in the alley, all of that was great.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Would be pretty cool if it were both Funny Games.

Blue Velvet looks awesome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I want a Criterion edition of The Straight Story.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To Sleep With Anger was really good. I loved it, actually. A superstitious and spiritual family drama with a devilish Danny Glover hamming it up? Hell yes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

This is definitely going to be a flash sale buy since I've heard nothing but good things about it. I've wanted to see Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep for a while, but Milestone hasn't upgraded it to Blu-ray yet.

I did a little bit of a deeper write-up for the Streaming megathread, since it's appropriate there.

I really want to watch Killer of Sheep as well. It gets brought up quite a bit in the supplemental features.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel's Movie of the Week

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1103354962375979010

Is Barbara Loden's Wanda (1970)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel's latest hint for Movie of the Week:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1105815229081022472

Jim Jarmusch's Night On Earth

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

The email says "For All Mankind" which I've been jonesing to watch again since seeing "Apollo 11" on the weekend.

You are correct. I was mistaken, the Criterion Collection did that as a teaser, and I thought it was the Channel hint.

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1105848150672228352

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still haven't even bought a Bergman box yet, you fucks.

I feel so left out. :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What is the order of the films in the Bergman box set?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

i signed up for a charter subscription but won't be putting down actual money until there's a ps4 app.

Pretty sure you're gonna get billed on April 8th if you're a Charter Member. I'm not positive, but I think that's what the sign-up says.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Unless they changed something you get a 30-day free trial and then you get billed.

That makes more sense. Thank you!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

correction, i signed up to get the emails and get offered a charter subscription. i never gave them credit card info. so i will probably not be a charter member.

Have you tried watching any of the films of the week? They made me re-enter my info the first time I tried to watch something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The RokuTV app works, but there's no way to access any extras/special features that aren't showcased on the front page. The only way to watch them through the RokuApp was to add the extras to my list via iOS app or the desktop app and then scroll through My List to watch them.

I e-mailed them about it, and a few other features that would be nice. (I also said nice things.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sciencehuh posted:

That was me! The number changed because I originally scraped from Canada, not realizing the libraries were different. The new default is the USA library, and you can click the little flag to switch to the Canadian library and back.

If anyone here has any feature requests, or notices any bugs, let me know!

It doesn’t seem to let me sort titles or directors alphabetically.

Good work, though!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sciencehuh posted:

This was broken in Chrome initially but it should be fixed now. Are you still seeing it, and if so in what browser?

It was Chrome, but it's working now! Very awesome work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel is missing Fishing With John, and I think that needs to be rectified immediately.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Someone also made a Criterion Channel Letterboxd list.

(I've only seen 78 of the 1400+ flicks)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Persona is maybe not a great place to start with Bergman, because in a lot of ways you can't top it. It's mostly downhill from there.

Bergman's films are obviously very diverse though so that's not completely true I guess. There's certainly nothing like Fanny & Alexander's ridiculously lavish sets in Persona.

Persona was my first Bergman, and it threw me for a loop. My 2nd was The Seventh Seal, which would be a pretty great starting place, since it's a lot of fun, funny, and strange. I thought it'd be more like Persona, or maybe something like Lynch's Eraserhead but with chess, and I was very wrong.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think I'm going to watch The Seventh Seal tonight.

Just keep in mind that it's a dark comedy. I would have liked to have known that going in.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I added the Three Colours trilogy after I saw Julie Delpy was in Three Colours: White. I will watch anything with her, and I'm kinda low-key upset that Linklater's Before Trilogy isn't on the site at launch.

I'm not seeing The Decalogue/Dekalog on Criterion Channel, but they have the expansion films A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, unless I'm missing something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Thinking about going for a relatively chill film when I get home. Should I go with [...] The Player?

I can assure you a film about me would be cool, but not chill. :cheers:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I might finally watch my first Godard film tonight, with Breathless.

Bergman talk makes me want to watch a Bergman though. Should I do Smiles of a Summer Night? I've seen Persona and The Seventh Seal.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Does the criterion channel have The Rock?

Because I would find it hilarious to make my first watch on that channel The Rock

No.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that is some bullshit

what about Armageddon

No Armageddon, no Chasing Amy

Electronico6 posted:

I think you'll like Smiles of a Summer Night so go with that, it's more in tone with Seventh Seal than Persona.

Awesome, thank you. Seemed like a safe bet, since it's the first film in the Bergman box.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the other thing is that people do not realize he did commercial criticism and academic criticism

the two thumbs up thing was literally him trying to decide if the movie appealed to the audience it was trying to appeal to. He also had a separate academic canon that was gorgeous. His Great Movies essays are wonderful.

I just wish he "got" the Friday the 13th series. Or David Lynch. Or Terry Gilliam.

But no, ol' Roger's gonna give four stars to Anaconda instead.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He actually appears on a documentary included with the Final Destination 3 DVD about the history of slashers where he talks about his Friday comments in hindsight

No friggin way.

I'd like to find that and post it in the horror thread. But I don't own that DVD, nor will I.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Found the documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idELl0Q5OxE

Its called "Dead Teenager Movie"

He talks about how he realizes his issue wasn't so much the violence as how it had become derivative as a narrative

Oh hell yeah. Good work. I'll watch it when I get home tonight.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

Years later and I’m still sore about Netflix changing it’s rating system to thumbs up or down but at least it has one. Criterion and a whole lot of other services could stand to be nicer to me and give me a way like that to mark the ones Iv’e seen already.

I just use Letterboxd and add a Criterion Channel rag every time I watch something from their service.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched Smithereens last night. I loved it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

If I end up only picking up one Criterion in July(we'll see how it goes), it's definitely gonna be an Altman, I'm just not 100% decided on it yet. I have McCabe & Mrs. Miller and it's one of my most watched Criterions, but I've never seen any of the others that are in the collection. Last time this came up people itt recommended Nashville so I think that's probably gonna be the choice.

Nashville's a good choice, because it's very rewatchable. It's technically a musical, so there's that, but the cast of characters is so varied that you pick up more on rewatches. Plus, the special features, I assume, would be awesome.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

My CineD experiences from the past several years have really softened me on musicals and showed me there is a certain type that I really do enjoy. By all accounts Nashville seems like that kind of musical.

Yeah, Nasheville is less musical theater, and moreso "This is what the musical scene of Nasheville was during the bi-centennial". It's like watching a documentary of the music scene at the time, except all the bands are fake and the songs are original. Like a more-sincere A Mighty Wind. It's a really interesting approach, because the songs and musical performances are just as important as any dialogue, because you as the viewer are stepping into this musical world.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly, Scenes From a Marriage is a perfect example of why I probably won't ever need to buy the Bergman set because half of the films I've seen of his have been so devastating that I don't feel the need to ever watch them again. One viewing of Cries and Whispers or Autumn Sonata was enough for me, thanks.

I own Fanny and Alexander, and I probably will pick up Persona and Wild Strawberries at some point but that might be it.

Funny. Most of the Bergman's I've seen so far have been comedies. The Seventh Seal and Smiles of a Summer Night are pretty funny... The only one that hasn't been, so far, is Persona.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

In the end I think it probably ends up being 50/50 with Bergman in terms of the really emotional gut punch films and the lighter stuff but that's enough where I can't justify buying a big set with that many films in it I have no desire to watch again.

Oh yeah, no need to drop that money if you're not into it. Just saying there's light and funny Bergman as well.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When his movies are not funny, they’re reeeeaaallly not funny

Persona left me feeling pretty strange. In a...good way? I don't know.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Huh, I'm surprised by Cold War. It's a good film but it must have been a really convenient licensing deal to release it so soon.

It's not so crazy. The Lure's first physical release in the USA is the Criterion edition. It had been in distribution limbo for a couple of years.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shoplifters 100% should be in the collection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fenix down posted:

If you like weird stuff, Daisies is essential viewing.

Daisies loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oh hell yeah, that rules. I've only seen 14 of these. :psyduck:

edit: Ace in the Hole is not on Criterion, but it is on Kanopy

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 17, 2020