Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Criterion really needs to send the A-Team to steal the rights for Tarkovsky's films currently held by Kino.

I would do almost anything for a copy of Mirror with remotely accurate subtitles and color grading. Hell, even the 35mm prints are messed up. The subtitles are absolutely, positively unreadable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The current Kino subtitles really are amazingly bad, it's like they decided to cut everything that wasn't pertinent to the plot. A typical conversation might go:

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah blah blah"
[Where were you born?]

"blah blah blah...
[no subtitle]
...blah Moscow blah blah blah"
[Moscow]

Impossibly frustrating, particularly since Tarkovsky's dialogue tends to run towards the poetic.

YES! I've been trying to get a Russian-speaking friend to watch it with me just so I can get a better idea of what I'm missing.

The theatrical print is even worse. You get the same abridged dialogue, but everything is in 0.001pt, thin white letters. They're literally half the size of normal subtitles, and each character is about the same width as a sheet of paper. At the end, the credits listed the subtitles as being done in 2000 or 2001. You would think that by the 21st century people had figured out how to make subtitles work. Not the people in charge of the Mirror print.

Side note: White subtitles on B&W footage are always, always, always a terrible idea. I don't give a poo poo if people whine that yellow "doesn't fit". YOU CAN READ IT.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They published the journal he kept during the filming of Fitzcarraldo. I bought it a while ago, but never got around to reading it. I skimmed through the first few couple of pages, and it was Herzog describing the absolute poverty of the South American cities he was staying at and trying to explain to the executives at Fox that he wants to haul a real boat over a mountain and not just a model. I really should pick it up again, as it was really fascinating and seemed like a good read. Then again, what book filled with Herzog's crazy-poetic ramblings wouldn't be a good read?

You can find it on Amazon for about $10

http://www.amazon.com/Conquest-Useless-Reflections-Making-Fitzcarraldo/dp/0061575542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311911260&sr=8-1

This is one of my favorite books of all time. The Herzog-ness of it cannot be understated. It's an amazing read.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

kuddles posted:

Personally, I have no problem with yellow subtitles even if the film is black and white.

I didn't even know hating them was actually a thing until last year or something.

My mind just tunes-out the color of subtitles. If I can't actually read the subtitles, I'm forced to think about it the entire drat movie and slowly rapidly go into a nerdrage.