Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Are there any Criterions that have particularly cool/noteworthy packaging that I should know about?

Offhand I think my favorite is Videodrome, which has a neat videotape case look to it. The clear plastic outer case of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is pretty nice too.

Also there's more subtle bits like the reversible insert in Schizopolis with the huge warning message. And House of Games, where when you open the case the DVD is on the left and the booklet is upside down. And it's pretty minor, but I like that the printing on the actual DVD of Masculin Feminin makes it look like a phonograph record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

Dude, you've got the cover inserted upside down in the plastic sleeve.

It's a clear DVD case and the inside of the cover insert has "HOUSE OF GAMES" printed in large type, oriented so that it's obvious that the switch-up was intentional.

Given that the movie is about con games, trickery, and deception, it's really appropriate and clever.

h_double fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2008

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

No, seriously, you just have it in upside down. Your photo proves that. Do you really think they meant to have most of the title on the inside cover obscured by the disc?

Well even if it were the other way round, then the title would still be obscured by the disc + booklet. And I bought the disc new, with a Criterion sticker on the shrink wrap and everything.

It's possible that it's a glitch, but it seems odd that out of the hundreds of DVDs I've seen, the only one with a "reversed" cover is one where the theme of the movie, and the rest of the packaging (and the fact that it's Criterion) are such that my immediate reaction was "oh that's clever and appropriate".

I'm tempted to go post about it on criterionforum now.

EDIT: criterionforum confirms it's just a packaging glitch, oh well.

h_double fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 16, 2008