Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

ThetaOmnikron posted:

"
Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss are being remastered and will be solicited along with the previously unreleased Fuller film White Dog in December. Sweet month if your a Fuller fan. The December release date came from an individual who attended a White Dog screening in Los Angeles, but the confirmation about the rereleases of these two films and a dvd for White Dog has come from Criterion themselves."

That's awesome. Shock Corridor is one of my favorite Fullers, it's really quite crazy and very intense. Never heard of White Dog, I'll ask my film professor when I get back to school about it - she just wrote a book on Fuller.

Also - all of these movies that are being announced now for later releases, are they coming out on Blu-Ray as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Horseface posted:

Probably the weakest Criterion I've watched was My Life as a Dog. It's not terrible or anything, it's just a completely by-the-numbers depressing european film about childhood. There's nothing it does that Bergman and several others have done much better.

I agree totally. That movie plays like "Arty European Films 101."

Also, I wrote a paper on The 400 Blows and so saw it like a billion times. It got exponentially better every time I watched it, and the more research I did into it. Some of the jokes or little joys in it are incredibly obtuse, but I wouldn't put it past Truffaut to put them in there just for a film scholar. For example, that scene where the kids are jogging though Paris in gym class and run away one by one is an homage to a movie called "Zéro de conduite." The joke is that this scenes comes directly after Doinel is chewed out for plagiarizing Balzac. It's stuff like that that makes the movie awesome.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

SubG posted:

I wouldn't call a reference to a Jean Vigo film obtuse, particularly in a French film in the late '50s. Zéro de conduite and L'Atalante are pretty solidly in the canon of French cinema. They're not currently particularly well known to English-speaking audiences largely, I suspect, due to the lack of a R1 DVD of either. If Criterion released them, though, I'm sure you would suddenly find yourself unable to swing a dead cat around your head in an internet film discussion forum without hitting a half dozen people talking about all the obvious influences Vigo had on Truffaut and, now and for the same reasons, Lindsay Anderson.

Okay, point. And also, L'Atalante is a great movie. But when I said obtuse, I meant structurally - the joke was that it happened right after the scene where the protagonist gets chewed out for plagiarism. Even if you recognized the reference as soon as you saw it, it would probably take a moment to realize the placement was intended as a joke. I didn't recognize the homage since I hadn't seen Vigo's film, and so I only got the joke while doing a narrative breakdown for a paper. I guess I could have been over-generalizing, but I still think it would be kind of a hard joke to notice, especially the first time through.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Og Oggilby posted:

Then there are the movies that cry out for BluRay treatment like the Tati films, the Brakhage anthology, The Passion of Joan of Arc (if just for the score in uncompressed 5.1), and Eyes without a Face.

Oh man, I never considered what Tati would be like in Blu-Ray. They might be the films that benefit the most from an HD transfer... great, now you got me excited about something that won't be out for another three years, thanks Og.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Oh loving damnit it to hell! Why'd they have to go and bump the Blu-Rays for? I'm writing a term paper on WKW's use of color and I was loving pumped to be able to study Chunking Express in HD. AAAAAHH gently caress you Criterion!!

I'm sorry Criterion... I don't mean that... you've been so good to me, Baby, so good.