Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
I saw Sansho the Bailiff during the Janus Films touring series and it was pretty good, I was surprised to hear that it hadn't been released on DVD yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

WR was one of the Janus films that I missed during the series that played here, but I didn't hear anything at all good from the people I talked to about it who did see it. Maybe I'll give it a chance anyway since I feel bad about not seeing everything.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That doesn't make any sense to me, the current DVD is pretty feature packed and the movie really wouldn't benefit from a better transfer. I also think it's a terrible movie, but that's beside the point.

Edit: did you mean for The Fountain?

Looks like he meant The Fountain.

http://www.criterionforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2529

Here's the blog in question:

quote:

so the dvd came out.
happy that it is in the world.
hope more folks will get to see it.

as many of you can tell it is light on the extras as compared to my previous dvd releases.

everything at the studio was a struggle.
for instance: they didn't want to do a commentary track cause they felt that it wouldn't help sales.
i didn't have it in me to fight anymore.
whatever.

so:
niko, my friend who did the doc on the dvd came up with a novel idea.
we recorded a commentary track ourselves.
we're gonna post it on a site soon, http coming soon.
you can play it and watch the flick and hopefully you'll enjoy it.

i do hope to do a big special edition at some point. but for that to happen the dvd is gonna have to sell.
i got a lot of extras in my bag so who know maybe if you all write to criterion they'll get interested (suggest the fountain as a title: mulvaney@criterion.com).

they've been into pi and requiem but because the first run of dvd's had so many extras they didn't know what else they could add. but the fountain...

i hope you are all well. i've been writing. stuff is coming. gonna know what we are doing next soon enough.

best,
da

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Slackerish posted:

I got the three-disc set of Brazil for my birthday last night, and some money which I'm going to use to order a couple of other Critereons.

I'm thinking Do the Right Thing and Knife in the Water. Any comments on either of these?

Knife in the Water is a great film, although I felt that the Christ imagery was overbearing and a bit out of place. Since it's Polanski's first feature, his directorial style is still a little raw, but here and there you can see elements which would make it into his more well known movies like Chinatown. It isn't Polanski's best, but it is a fairly important piece of film history.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

LaptopGun posted:

Daunte, I agree with with all of Danga's recomendations. I especially recommend Brazil and The Third Man. To contribute others:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (someone was bound to say it)
The Last Temptation of Christ
Ran (Hell, I like all three Kurasuwas here)
Throne of Blood (I love Macbeth, so maybe I'm a bit too attached to this one)
Traffic
Yojimbo
Videodrone

Brazil for my money is the greatest DVD release I have ever seen, let alone the best Criterion. I know some may disagree with me, but I really feel it is worth every cent. Of course, I didn't pay full price thanks to a sale I heard about through this humble thread...

If you're a fan of samurai movies, Harakiri and Sword of Doom are both incredible non-Kurosawa Samurai pictures. I think Sword of Doom has some of the most striking visuals of any samurai movie I've ever seen.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

LaptopGun posted:

They have to as long as you physically clicked "submit" on the final review screen that had the lower price. Amazon claims its their super-duper protect the customer policy to ensure they get the lower price; in reality, if they didn't honor it they would be liable for a false advertisement/bait&switch investigation form the Better Business Burrow. There are exceptions to the rule (most of them perfectly reasonable), but this on the surface doesn't seem to be one. Amazon isn't Ebay- they have to follow actual laws you know. ;)

They could have, however, canceled the orders and claimed computer error.

But that doesn't seem to be the case since my copies of Green for Danger and When a Woman Ascends the Stairs have been shipped at the sweet price of 14 bucks each.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

zandert33 posted:

Well, one could hope...

So it'll be about $35 with a DVDPlanet 20% deal.... nice

That is shockingly cheap. Are these all shorts or something? I'd expect a box set like that to go for upwards of 80 bucks.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

It's about drat time that Mafioso got put out on DVD.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently #427 is Death of a Cyclist. I admire Criterion's ability to keep whipping out these interesting-looking films that I've never heard of.

Death of a Cyclist is fantastic. I loved every moment of it when I saw it in the big Janus Films film series I caught last year. I'm surprised it's not on DVD yet.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Although 92 isn't exactly an untimely death, it's still a loss. His movies on Criterion are all superb, and An Actor's Revenge (which Animeigo is supposed to be releasing in 2008) is one of my absolute favorites, a drat near perfect film.

That's sad. Nobi was an excellent and disturbing film.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

I spotted Straw Dogs and Dazed & Confused (both $30) at a local used DVD place along with Smiles of a Summer Night ($12). Are they worth picking up? Specifically Straw Dogs and Smiles of a Summer Night since I've seen neither (although I've heard a lot about Straw Dogs).

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

That is one trippy cover. But since when does Criterion put critic quotes on the covers?

I can't wait to check this and Patriotism out though, Mishima is an interesting guy (and kind of a nutcase).

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

High and Low (Akira Kurosawa) - special edition

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with newly restored original
four-track surround sound
-- New audio commentary by Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
-- A 37-minute documentary on the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
-- Rare archival interview with Toshiro Mifune
-- New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapper
-- Theatrical trailers from Japan and the U.S.
-- New and improved English subtitle translation
-- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a reprinted essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
-- More!

SRP: $39.95
Street date: 7/22/08

High and Low is an incredible film, probably my favorite non-samurai film made by Kurosawa. I'm looking forward to being able to pick this up.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Does this news make any of you think twice about buying a standard def Criterion dvd? I was planning on buying a good number during the sale (whenever that is) but there will always be this nagging feeling that I'm gunna have to re-buy them not too far down the road. Just curious what you guys thought, it might just be me though.

Not me, but mainly because I don't have Blu-Ray player and probably won't have one for quite a while because they're so expensive. But, hey, good news for me. Maybe BR early-adopter film nerds will dump their Criterion copies of The 400 Blows, The Third Man, Monterey Pop and Walkabout so I can swoop in and pick them up cheap.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

I've been blindbuying Criterions like mad lately. We get in a lot of used DVDs where I work so we get first crack at them before they're priced and put out on the floor. So far I have M in my hands, along with Trafic, Sword of Doom and Eyes Without a Face in my hold box. Of them, I've only seen Sword of Doom, so hopefully these will be worth the money (although it isn't that much, I paid 10 bucks for M).

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

RaydaArab posted:

Eyes Without a Face is creepy and awesome. Well worth the $10.

And what is with the Virdiana and 400 Blows hate? The sequels to 400 are what suck. I borrowed that box set from a library; Jean-Pierre Léaud was a charming actor as a kid but he acted the same exact way when he got older. So I guess I would say that the Doinel Box set sucks.

That's good to hear. I bought it based on the blurb on the back since I thought it sounded cool. And 10 bucks ain't bad for that. Hell, 17 for Trafic isn't bad either. Although I have to say I enjoyed Antoine & Collette, but mainly because I identified so heavily with Antoine in that movie.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

I really need to stop buying stuff but I've been waiting for Jules & Jim to go on sale and 18 bucks is a pretty good deal.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

stray posted:

Can someone answer a question for me?

I just got from Netflix a Criterion movie called Walker with Ed Harris, about the 19th-century American who became ruler of Nicaragua. However, the reviews on the film on Netflix give it a 2.5-star rating out of five and some people seem to have really hated it.

I'm going to watch this movie tonight, but if it's such a poo poo film, why is it in the Criterion Collection? Sure, the collection has the odd questionable entry (cough, Armageddon, cough), but this one has far lower ratings than most films in the CC.

What gives?

It probably has something to do with being directed by Alex Cox, they also released Sid and Nancy.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Cacator posted:

I'm very interested to see how For All Mankind turns out on bluray, I don't know what kind of film NASA shot in though.

And if anyone is part of "the auteurs", this month's festival of free criterion movies is focused on "killers" and has a very nice selection. I highly recommend The Vanishing if you haven't seen it, and Branded to Kill looks like it has a far superior transfer than the DVD, at least on a smaller screen.

For added fun, watch the original Vanishing, and then watch the impossibly lovely American remake. It's astonishing how badly they missed the point, which is doubly baffling because the same guy who directed the original directed the remake.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Cacator posted:

There are no Barnes and Nobles in my country and the ones I want are not listed on sale on the website so I wish you all a painful death.

If it's any further consolation, I just spent all my money visiting your continent and can't afford cheap Criterions. If I had the cash, I'd start loading up on French New Wave films like I've been wanting to do, starting with Jules & Jim since I love that movie. At least it goes until August.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Macrame_God posted:

That's fine. I'm not dying to get it. It's just something that seems like it would be nice to own. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know The Human Condition was nine and a half goddamn hours long! :psypop:

Technically, it's nine hours long because it's a trilogy of films, but yeah, it's pretty lengthy.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

If the Special Features list is to be believed, these will be barebones discs? And I doubt that "new digital transfers" means upgrades from the existing versions. I can live without the deluxe packaging and the books (I've already read Richie's anyway). This is an easy pass, it seems designed for people who discovered Kurosawa last week. If it was Blu-Ray it'd be a different story.

I'm leaning towards barebones. Although the special features list strikes me as special features of the box set and not so much of the films in the box set, $280 seems far too low for 25 well-stocked discs plus a book. Subtracting the usual price for Warrior's Camera, that comes out to about 10 bucks per movie.

I only have Yojimbo/Sanjuro by Kurosawa, so I'd be all over it if it were repackaged releases plus perhaps barebones discs for the unreleased stuff.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

I have never heard of or seen this movie, but I am SO buying this shirt:
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/69

That shirt was actually based on a poster created specifically for a midnight showing of Hausu at The Belcourt in Nashville. It wound up in the hands of the director and Janus thought it was so rad that they're now using it as the official poster for the entire limited run. I thought that was cool. Also, it was designed by Ben Folds' drummer.

There was a big post about it on The Auteurs a few days ago: http://www.theauteurs.com/notebook/posts/1219

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

Criterion launched a streaming channel on Hulu. Their first offering is a collection of six Zatoichi films: http://www.hulu.com/studio/criterion-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion doesn't design the Wes Anderson covers, Anderson's brother does.

Even more than that, as far as I know, Criterion doesn't do a lot of design internally. I believe most of their releases are designed by freelancers that come onto their radar somehow. The Hausu cover was originally a poster done for the Belcourt in Nashville by a local designer (and, incidentally, the guy who plays drums for Ben Folds), which led to him getting more work like that Chaplin Blu-Ray.

That might be different for some of the more standardized sets like Eclipse, but they definitely hire out of the company for that sort of stuff more often than not.