Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I think the font looks perfect. Just like an old pulp novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I'm surprised it's coming out before the film finishes touring. Well, it's not a huge amount of time before, I guess.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Cacator posted:

Won't be picking up Videodrome because I'm sure it won't have the same packaging.
Send them $20 and the DVD and you'll get to use the original packaging for the Blu-Ray they send you back.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Woop, August 1st. That means I can get Red Shoes & Black Narcissus when they come out.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Hmm, the B&N website doesn't include The Life Aquatic in the sale for some reason.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

You can buy the 2-disc Life Aquatic from Amazon for $20 anyways.
It ended up being on sale in-store & cheaper than that but mine is missing the fold-out insert mentioned on the back… I guess I'll have to return it.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

Save yourself a trip and email Jon Mulvaney. I had this happen to me on a copy of Variety Lights, I had bought it before it went OOP but didn't open it until much later. He mailed me a new insert right away for no charge. You should have no problem getting one. Email him at mulvaney@criterion.com and let him know the situation.
I had already gone back to B&N before you posted this, but thanks anyhow. They're getting a new copy in a couple of days, but are letting me keep the insert-less one until then, so that's pretty nice. Although, I think that I will ask him if it's possible to replace my Schizopolis booklet and case (probably not the case), which I lost a few years ago.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Wow, that's a great lineup. Paths of Glory is the only thing keeping me from 100% excitement, just because I'm almost totally ignorant of it. I've got it on my Netflix instant queue; maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

Only way the month could have been better would have involved Videodrome, I guess that's going to be November or December.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

That's gotta be what it is.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

edit: drat you doctor thodt

Mustach fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 9, 2010

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

It does seem to be pretty soon after the last one.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

Also, I don't know how the hell this happened, but Amazon shipped Hausu to me and it'll be here tomorrow, 5 days before its release date. :confused:
I guess you're just lucky! They didn't ship it early for me :(. Has this ever happened to you before?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Starscream posted:

I might also order Night of the Hunter if it's released while the sale is still on.
It will be. The sale ends on the 21st. Two days before America Lost and Found :(. Oh well, it's a good deal regardless.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I generally prefer the covers that are composed of shots from the movies. Bigger than Life is one of my all-time favorites.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

It was a fine concept, but the colors they chose were odd.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I will loving explode if Criterion releases Quadrophenia on Blu-Ray, but I won't take these as an indication of anything until they say so.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

penismightier posted:

Absolutely. I don't think I've ever heard a better shrieking, force-of-god explosion. It seemed to inform the hell out of the Indiana Jones (which the whole last five minutes clearly influenced) soundwork.
Man, I mentioned this up in the general chat, but nobody bit. I think there's more in common between Kiss Me and Raiders than the sound, actually. A lot of the major plot beats are the same, the protagonist's involvement has little impact on the villains' efforts, some other stuff I can't remember…

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

The essay that comes with The Killing is probably one of the worst I've read in a while, and it actually started to make me angry enough by the last paragraph that I almost didn't finish it. Half of it is trying to justify the movie by making (frequently strained) connections to characters, events, techniques in other, more well-known movies. That is unnecessary; this is a great movie, talk about this movie! And I hate the lazy incest of the "this film is about film-making" interpretation that gets thrown in.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I like that one! It's not analytical, but I like the writing style and think it gives a good history and context for the movie.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

The Quadrophenia cover is snazzy, but this image from the soundtrack will always represent the movie for me:

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

barkingclam posted:

What's the consensus on the BBS set? I'm thinking about picking that up, but I'm only kind of familiar with Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show. Are the rest of the movies worth the price tag?
It's a fantastic buy. Everything but A Safe Place is good to amazing, and even that's worth slogging through once just for some great bits of Orson Welles. Head remains my favorite of the set.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Space Fish posted:

I love The Who's Tommy album, but haven't heard Quadrophenia yet,
I recommend you remedy this.

edit: Although the movie isn't a musical like Tommy, so hypothetically you could hate the album and still like the movie

Mustach fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 16, 2012

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Speaking of, when's the Rashomon bluray coming? I saw Janus's fantastic restored print last summer and am surprised it hasn't shown up yet.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I take full credit for Rashomon's arrival, since I just bitched about it the other day.

This is the first Eclipse set that I'm 100% interested in, despite my aversion to buying new DVDs instead of blurays. I mean, I'm sure they scale up just fine, but I just get this fear from bad experiences with some of my DVDs…

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

I grabbed Godzilla and Gimme Shelter, but really this was just an impetus for me to finally buy a HOUSE shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Important… or good? I think B&C is just okay.