Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's "If...."! Since seeing it on TV a good few years ago it's slightly bugged me every time I've seen people treating the dots as a three dot ellipsis. There's four!

But I'm very glad it's finally getting a DVD release because I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I Am Awful posted:

If...
It's actually If.... which always bugs me because I can't figure out why they wouldn't just do the standard ellipsis with three periods.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

FitFortDanga posted:

It's only three periods if it comes in the middle of a sentence. It's four periods at the end of sentence.
Oh, interesting! I did not know this. Thanks for the correction!

Whatever happened to the essays on the Criterion website? I've never owned any of the DVDs for the ones that I actually read, so I'm assuming that they decided to just keep them for the liner notes as a bit more of an incentive for buying. But still, I miss being able to rent one and then read the essay afterwards.

I know this question might be irritating because I'm sure it's been asked before, but I've just decided to finally sample some Ozu, and just watched (and loved) Tokyo Story; what should I try next? Or rather, how much did his style vary over the years? If I like Tokyo Story, am I likely to enjoy his later work?

I could just find out for myself by watching them all, of course, but I always enjoy reading the opinions of people in this thread. I don't think I've ever been steered wrong.