Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
When is the next sale on Deep Discount? I apparently missed out on the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

LaptopGun posted:

Yeah Im out of money after rading amazon's various DVD sales

What kind of sales has Amazon had?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Macrame_God posted:

I've got a birthday coming up soon and I've been interested in picking up the "Samurai" trilogy. Can anyone here testify to it's awesomeness?

Are you talking about the Musashi Miyamoto films with Toshiro Mifune, or the Rebel Samurai pack?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

Thank god for that.

Imagine how skewed the Yearly Consensus threads would be. Sin City with 200 votes? Children of Men with 170? Wowzers!

I can't think of any other Goon Favorites® though.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 9, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

I'm bored:

Ahaha, holy poo poo. "Sorry about my face."

I Netflix'd Miss Julie solely on this image:

I thought it was gunna be a funny battle of the sexes dramedy, which it was for the first 30 minutes. Then it gets completely overwrought with drama and kind of goes downhill. I wasn't familiar with the play it was based on, so maybe I should've been.

There were a lot of things I really really liked about it, though. :shobon:

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

The top ten list from Beastie Boy Adam Yauch in the recent newsletter was hilarious:

Adam Yauch posted:

1. Seven Samurai
C’mon, I gotta tell why this movie is good? You tell me!
2. Walkabout
Saw this one when I was in junior high school and it stayed with me. Glad to see it in the collection.
3. Nights of Cabiria
I don’t know what to write. I just love this movie.
4. Yojimbo
I guess you have figured out by now that I am really not going to review any of the films that I picked.
5. Sanjuro
But I do like the folks up at the Criterion Collection. Those are my people up in there.
6. Rushmore
They are a really great team that’s into some bugged-out, esoteric poo poo.
7. And God Created Woman
Peter is like the bigwig. He’s the head honcho.
8. The Harder They Come
Susan has her ear to the street. She always looks for some interesting stuff to put out.
9. Rashomon
When I was hanging out up there Heather was working on the audio. But now she switched over to some other department.
10. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Sometimes I get free DVDs from Criterion, but not always. I wanted to get one of each, you know, like the whole collection, but they said, “No, Adam, we don’t do that.”

I'm also really looking forward to those Malle films. Great cover designs, too.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

New announcements!

#433: PATRIOTISM

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the Japanese and English versions, with optional Japanese or English intertitles
- A 45-minute audio recording of Yukio Mishima speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Association of Japan
- A 45-minute making-of documentary, featuring crew from the film's production
- Interview excerpts featuring Mishima discussing war and death
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by renowned critic and historian Tony Rayns, Mishima's original short story, and Mishima's extensive notes on the film's production

Holy poo poo that is a badass cover.

It's strange how much a Criterion cover can convince me to check out a movie.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Has anyone here actually used DVD Planet? I noticed almost all their 2-disc sets were 5 bucks cheaper than Deep Discounts. I've heard DVD Planet has lovely customer service so I was kinda hesitant to order from them.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

There are few movies on the face of the planet that are psychedelic enough to warrant a cover like that, and I'm pretty sure Mishima isn't one of them.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

High and Low - Old disc goes on eBay tomorrow.

Yeah. I got this not too long ago, too.

I'm really looking forward to the dvd art. The current one looks kinda cool at a glance or from across the room, but is pretty terrible when you look at closely.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Wow, that was quick.

Not so hot on the new High and Low cover. It isn't bad by any means, and I do like the focus on the phone.

The Vampyr cover however is absolutely awesome.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I was under the impression it was in May, but I might be mistaken. I know there's one in November, though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Brian Fellows posted:

I take it back, that one's great and there are a couple of other pretty good covers. That Vampyr cover though...

Atleast they switched from that horrible double-thick case they used to use for two-discs when they changed logos.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

It's cool that they finally did it, but I always took a small comfort when I bought Criterion dvds thinking that it'd take them forever to switch to Blu-ray. I've been pretty hesitant to switch over just yet because it seems fairly in-depth. 1080i? 1080p, what the hell? I noticed most cable channels look like poo poo on all my friends HD-TVs. I'd also have to buy a blu-ray player and the component cables. Lot of money to get it set up right now. I'm not even sure how standard def dvds would fare on an HD-TV or if I'd have to change the settings or what.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Does this news make any of you think twice about buying a standard def Criterion dvd? I was planning on buying a good number during the sale (whenever that is) but there will always be this nagging feeling that I'm gunna have to re-buy them not too far down the road. Just curious what you guys thought, it might just be me though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes, definitely. I have around 5-10 Criterions I've been wanting to buy, just waiting for the next good sale. Now I might hold off on all of them for a while.

If the re-release the Wadja box on Blu-Ray, I hope they make them available separately. All I want is Kanal, but I can never find anyone selling it by itself on eBay. Likewise with Dreyer, I'd buy Ordet and Day of Wrath but not Gertrud or My Metier.

Also wondering if I should cancel my pre-orders for High and Low and Mishima, but I guess I'll take my chances.

I imagine they'll start releasing some of the older ones, if I had to guess. I bet Spartacus will be up soon, along with some of their other "flagship" (if you wanna call it that) titles. I bet they won't re-release the newer ones like Mishima for awhile, but I'm just guessing. Let people wait long enough to buy the standard def before releasing the blu-ray.

Cacator posted:

I don't think Bunuel films would really benefit from HD transfers, they aren't very interesting visually.

Funny, one of the ones I really wanted to buy was Diary of a Chambermaid.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I don't know how old these are, but I found pics of the Mishima and Patriotism packaging:

Completely awesome. More Criterions need to be packaged like this.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

If we're discussing favorite packaging, I rather liked the style they went with for Ace in the Hole. The essay book folds open like a newspaper, it's very well done and fits quite well with the movie (obviously).

Yeah, that was really well done. It was even two-sided.

Can't forget Videodrome:

beta-max. Nice.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Cacator posted:

Recommendations needed for DeepDiscount/DVD Planet sale:

I'd like to add another Bunuel to my collection, should it be The Milky Way or That Obscure Object of Desire? For the record I already own Discreet Charm and Phantom of Liberty and I've seen Viridiana, L'Age d'or, Un Chien Andalou and Exterminating Angel (my favourite).

And is Army of Shadows as good as everyone says it is? I own the first three Melvilles in the collection.

Have you seen Bunuel's Diary of a Chambermaid yet? It's one of my favorites.

If you own the rest of Melville's stuff I can't see why you wouldn't like Army of Shadows. It's a bit darker than his usual and has one of the coolest dvd covers in the collection in my opinion.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Pictures of the packaging for The Furies:

Hahah, I didn't expect the novel to have the Criterion spine on it for some reason. Looks pretty classy.

And this one, essay booklet looks nice:

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 7, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Got quite the boner. Looks a little more sepia-ish than the original picture of the cover on Criterion's site though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion is going to hit paydirt with the goth crowd.

Yeah, it kind of panders to that kind of crowd, but it's a much more interesting cover than Kino's or MoC's.

The booklet looks to be pretty cool, containing the screenplay and the short story that inspired the film.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

The color scheme on the Kaurismaki box is hideous, though.

Yeah, it looks awful. The Small Back Room cover looks really lovely too. That font makes it look like a 5 dollar dvd or something.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Some images of the inside of Vampyr from the Criterion forums:

It looks great, and I'm pretty psyched about this. I don't remember the black skeleton in the movie, though. Did they just add that for the packaging?

And I really wish Criterion would expand their poster selection. There are so many awesome covers and images they could choose, but the selection they have now is really, really boring.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, I just bought a bunch of poo poo I didn't really need. "I've always wanted to read the essay about Bernard Herrmann that DePalma wrote for Sisters.."

I'm really glad they're having this sale, though. I got to buy 3 I've been meaning to pick up, with 3 others that I mildly considered buying. Yesss.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I bought Ivan's Childhood, The Fire Within, Sisters, Umberto D., Elevator to the Gallows and Solaris.

zandert33 posted:

I'm hoping for "High and Low" to be added as well. I'll get that, and I think I'll finally pick up "Ikiru". I've been meaning to get that one for a while and just haven't.

I never thought of getting High and Low, that's a good idea.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Exree posted:

You can have mine if you want to trade. It's the old one with the yellow cover.

I have the old High and Low, I was too lazy to sell it though.

I think it's strange that they still got the aspect ratio wrong. It's not a huge difference and doesn't really bother me, and I'm looking forward to all those new extras.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Salo packaging is out:

Looks really good. Especially the spine.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Is that Andrzej Wajda box any good? I was talking to a friend and he heard about it but none of the films in the set are on netflix.

LaptopGun posted:

fear and loathing showed up today. Still no word on the others.

I've only got a few more left for Deep Discount to ship, been pretty happy so far.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

GoochBag posted:

As much as I want this edition, I don't think I can ever bring myself to watch that film again. Not that it's bad...

Is Salo really as brutal and disturbing as it's reputation leads me to believe?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

In the latest newsletter:

Hmm...any clue? I'm never good at these things and I'm sometimes baffled how people figure them out.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay, so... lots to talk about here.

* Cover art for Blu-Rays appears identical to DVD versions. Will they be in the smaller cases? There has to be a way to distinguish them on the shelf.

I thought they were gunna go with that wacky "b" logo they had a few months back, but I guess not.

quote:

* Fanfan & Spy: as always, I rarely blind-buy, but most Criterions are guaranteed rentals for me.

I thought about renting Spy months back. It's been on dvd for awhile, decent transfer from what I hear. If you don't feel like waiting till November it's on netflix.

quote:

* The extras for the BRs of the previously released titles appear to be the same, but with less stuff in the booklets.

:(

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I Am Awful posted:

Oh no, spine numbers. I would miss them if they stopped. :(

Ah poo poo this just occurred to me, instead of displaying spine numbers they might have that wacky "b" logo.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

IndieRockLance posted:

I've been blindbuying Criterions like mad lately. We get in a lot of used DVDs where I work so we get first crack at them before they're priced and put out on the floor. So far I have M in my hands, along with Trafic, Sword of Doom and Eyes Without a Face in my hold box. Of them, I've only seen Sword of Doom, so hopefully these will be worth the money (although it isn't that much, I paid 10 bucks for M).

There are very few Criterions I wouldn't own if they were only 10 bucks.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's an interesting topic: what are the worst films in the Criterion canon?

I haven't seen enough to specify more than a few which ones I outright hate, but some of them have absolutely awful transfers:

Branded to Kill
The Scarlet Empress
Life of Brian

Aside from weird color timing, it's mostly early Criterions that have poo poo transfer. There are some more but I can't think of them. I think there's one that is interlaced?

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Agreed. I'd also nominate The 400 Blows but I doubt I will find anyone agreeing with me in this thread. Nanook of the North is kinda dull, really staged, and borderline offensive, so I'm glad someone restored it but I don't think it's a very good film.

This is kind of how I feel. It comes down to personal taste. I've hated all of the Godard I've seen, and The 400 Blows didn't do much for me, but I know there are people who adore that stuff and I'm glad they have it in the catalog. Most Criterions I don't like have something interesting in them, whether it's a special feature or an aspect of the film I never noticed. It's rare that I walk away with nothing. I think most people can agree that The Lovers is a loving waste of time though.

I also can't imagine anyone seriously liking Koko: A Talking Gorilla. I guess hardcore Koko buffs or people that really dig documentaries like it. Such a small niche.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 16, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

morestuff posted:

400 Blows is by Truffaut, not Godard. (Not intended to be a dick correction or anything) I'm also in the camp that likes it; I still need to check out the rest of the series, though.

Yeah I know. I mentioned it because the guy I quoted said he didn't like 400 Blows either. I'm well aware that Truffaut made it. Prolly should've clarified that sentence or something.

I Am Awful posted:

Exterminating Angel, Obscure Object, Discreet Charm, Diary of a Chambermaid... all great movies that I enjoyed a lot. Viridiana just left me feeling pissy.

For some I find myself enjoying his 60's films way more than his 70's. I still need to see Tristana though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

zandert33 posted:

Old Japanese films are really my thing, and I have to say that Samurai Spy is one of the worst I've ever seen. There are so many other great 60s Samurai films that haven't been released yet (Tenchu for example) and Samurai Spy is one of the ones they chose? I wish they would have just held off on the whole set and released them under Eclipse, they bare-bones anyways.

There's no reason why the Rebel Samurai set should not have been Eclipse. I wish they'd hurry up and put out a samurai Eclipse set - I'd really like to see it.

And sometimes I think I'm the only person who liked Samurai Spy.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

That Upgrade Program isn't very practical. I wish they had talked about the essays that are getting dropped from the Blu Ray booklets too.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

SneakySneaks posted:

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that amazon is having a great sale on Criterion dvds right now.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=5&docId=1000259611

Yeah, I saw this yesterday but didn't know it was a sale. The Bad Sleep Well for 14 dollars? I assumed it was an error.

Elevator to the Gallows is 15, Le Cercle Rouge is 18, great sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

How long is this sale supposed to last? Till Sunday or Monday I assume?