Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Haha, yes, can't wait for Exterminating Angel.

FitFortDanga posted:

(I wish I knew why I'm not getting the newsletters though).

Sometimes mine come in a day late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I wouldn't mind seeing the rest if you're bored enough to upload them.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I figured they'd cram Simon of the Desert in an Eclipse set or something

juicy_J posted:

Finally my chance to get a Criterion totebag.

Hahah. I looked into that sale and ordered two dvds and a poster, but got a notice the next day that it didn't go through. I went to re-order the stuff and had an impossible time logging in. I cleared my browser's cookies and everything, requested a new password and all that poo poo, still didn't work. Made a new account to order the stuff I wanted and but was out of stock. Awesome.

Cacator posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the cover art for the two Bunuels but I wasn't expecting them to put out Simon of the Desert too so I can't really complain.

Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out what was actually going on in the Exterminating Angel one.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 15, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Thought I'd post these just cuz, and I like looking at packaging and not have to browse the Criterion forum sooo

Cacator posted:

They might change it if people complain enough like they did with Viridiana, but I'm too scared to go to Criterionforum to find out.

No, they're probably too busy complaining about the new Blu-ray packaging.

Speaking of which, here's some relevant pics that Sporadic linked to in the blu ray thread:

Click here for the full 412x660 image.

Click here for the full 939x660 image.

Click here for the full 917x660 image.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

So is Rushmore going out of print like I've heard? Because if it is, I'll have to use the Criterion sale to get that, but if it isn't, I'm gonna get something else (either If... or Sawdust and Tinsel) 'cause I can only afford one right now.

I don't think it is. People emailed them over at the forum and got a reply that it's not going out of print.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I don't know if this has been a long running thing or not, but certain Criterions are marked pretty low on Amazon.

Certain 2 disc'ers like:
Harakiri, Mishima, The Furies, Elevator to the Gallows, Thief of Bagdad, Salo, M, Breathless Army of Shadows and High and Low are each 23 bucks.

Certain single disc ones that are usually expensive have been marked down too, like Miss Julie and Grand Illusion.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Criterion is also putting out art prints of some of their dvd artwork:

Amarcord:

Click here for the full 1608x610 image.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars:

Click here for the full 1024x744 image.

They also have some for Divorce Italian Style and Monsters and Madmen, and they range from 100-125 bucks. Can't say I'm too excited about this, I would've preferred some new posters instead.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

h_double posted:

Are there any Criterions that have particularly cool/noteworthy packaging that I should know about?

The inside of the cover of High and Low looks like wood paneling. The case to Royal Tenenbaums tries to sort of look like the book in the movie, on the top spine. The booklet to Bottle Rocket looks like the one Owen Wilson has in the movie.

That's all I can really think of, and yeah, the Masculin Feminin disc looks really cool.

FitFortDanga posted:

They haven't officially announced anything, but if you refresh the front page you can see placeholders. Looks like they might be prepping The Last Metro on DVD/Blu-Ray, and (at last) Dodes-kaden on DVD, and a Shimizu set on Eclipse.

Teeny tiny thumbnails

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 16, 2008

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

462: The Last Metro (DVD/BR)

463: Generale Della Rovere

464: Danton
(no art yet)

465: Dodes-Kaden

I kind of prefer to wait to see this stuff with all the little special features and stuff listed under it though..

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Padriag posted:

I think the only way we'll know whether or not it was intentional is if someone else gets the movie.

Basically.

If you bought it used, chances are it's just upside down if the US Patent number on the middle of the inside of the spine isn't up at the top and the Recycle symbol at the bottom.

I used to do that to my friends dvds sometimes when they weren't looking. I think I did it to my Mulholland Drive copy and never bothered to change it.

I think I also did it when I rented stuff from Blockbuster.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Shampy posted:

I wonder when they'll be announcing the next blu-rays.

They announce two a month. The Last Metro and The 400 Blows were they most recent ones they announced. I think El Norte and The Last Emperor come out this month.

When they first announced they were even doing blu-rays, they posted a list of ones that would probably get released this year. The Last Metro wasn't on there, so it's more than likely they'll slip some more surprises in there too. All I remember about the list is that Contempt and Walkabout were on it too.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Cacator posted:

I'm very interested to see how For All Mankind turns out on bluray, I don't know what kind of film NASA shot in though.

And if anyone is part of "the auteurs", this month's festival of free criterion movies is focused on "killers" and has a very nice selection. I highly recommend The Vanishing if you haven't seen it, and Branded to Kill looks like it has a far superior transfer than the DVD, at least on a smaller screen.

I watched Branded to Kill last night, which was awesome. Judging from the dvdbeaver screencaps, the transfer I watched was way better than the existing dvd.

They also have some articles on Godard's Made in USA. I guess the auteurs aren't useless after all.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 10, 2009

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, the old one was better. The new Science is Fiction cover has "23" made up with seahorses, but I'm pretty sure 90% of people will see it as "NW".

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

They changed it since last night. I liked the old one more.

Ahaha, they changed it back to the original today.

And here's Empire of Passion:

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I can't believe you nancies argued over that.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Starscream posted:

Agreed. I'm loving these Eclipse sets and have no problem with them releasing Japanese films every second set.

Yeah, the Eclipse sets are getting really cool. I wish they'd start the mixed sets though that focus on themes or similarities.

And the extras for Exterminating Angel are kinda disappointing.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

From F5-ing the Criterion front page, one of the new announcements is Marie Nyerod's Bergman Island (the condensed version of her excellent 3-part documentary about Ingmar).

Also (finally) Last Year at Marienbad, also on Blu-Ray

I hope they use this for the Marienbad cover:

The Rialto re-release poster looked awful.

Maybe since they're getting to Andre, Black Moon won't be too far down the line.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Where are you seeing this?

FitFortDanga posted:

From F5-ing the Criterion front page

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Hahah what the gently caress, is that a joke?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Someone on criterion forum asked Mulvaney about them removing the blu-ray version of Ran from the Coming Soon section:

Jon Mulvaney posted:

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well. Unfortunately, the Blu-ray release of RAN has been cancelled indefinitely due to rights issues.

Sincerely,
Jon Mulvaney

loving sucks.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Haha, FFD, you might've gotten hosed. Criterion is listing the SD DVD of Ran as out of print. It might be like those Rialto films that went out of print, and will come back in print in a few months, or it might be a few years.

I guess if you were curious about Ran, now is the time to rent it/buy it.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Sporadic posted:

The thing that sucks the most is that Ran already came out in a ton of different countries on HD-DVD but not one of them has English subtitles :(

Most of the transfers of it are dogshit from what I hear.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

loving yes! Repulsion is by far my favorite Polanski movie and I've been waiting for a decent DVD release of it for a long-rear end time now. I haven't sprung for a Criterion in a while now, but I have to have this one.

Great cover, too.

I JUST watched this a few days ago. I was very surprised it'd be announced so suddenly. There was a fan cover made at criterion forum that was loving badass too.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

While I kind of agree with you, this description at Criterion:

makes me really want to see it. If Godard integrated his critique of consumerism into the actual plot, as opposed to having it be a slew of quotations from his characters, it could be really cool. Then again, cool concepts are what make me keep watching Godard despite my very mixed reactions to his films.

Gotta be honest with you. Next to Petit Soldat, it's the most boring Godard film I've watched from the 60's. It's not as zany and out there to me as Pierrot or Alphaville. The movie looks great but it really feels like Godard is half asleep behind the camera, or atleast behind the idea of the movie.

I'm pretty certain I wouldn't call it "chaotic" either.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Also apparently Criterion may have lost the rights to blu-ray Contempt, for those who were looking forward to it.

I don't really care that Contempt isn't gunna happen but it still sucks about Ran.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

It's the 15th, and a Friday, which means we'll likely see the August announcements today. If past experience is any indicator, it'll probably happen while I'm driving home from work (sometime between 3:40 and 5:00 Pacific).

Doesn't look like it happened. :[

Bande apartheid posted:

That really sucks. I was really looking forward to that (:swoon:Godard:allears:). I guess I need to go ahead and get it on DVD then. That movie owns.

Godard owns and all but I'd rather see other films of his on blu-ray. Contempt is cool but he has better ones.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Doesn't look like it happened. :[

look how wrong you are!!

Last Days of Disco

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Whit Stillman
- Audio commentary featuring Stillman and actors Chloë Sevigny and Chris Eigeman
- Four deleted scenes with commentary by Stillman, Eigeman, and Sevigny
- Stills gallery with production notes by Stillman
- Stillman reading a chapter from The Last Days of Disco, with Cocktails at - - ---- Petrossian Afterwards, his novelization of the movie
- Behind-the-scenes featurette
- Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: An essay by novelist David Schickler

and JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES

- Restored digital transfer, approved by director Chantal Akerman
- Autour de “Jeanne Dielman,” a 70-minute documentary, shot by actor Sami Frey and edited by Agnes Ravez, made during the filming of Jeanne Dielman
- New interviews with Akerman and cinematographer Babette Mangolte
- Excerpt from “Chantal Akerman par Chantal Akerman,” a 1997 episode of the French television program Cinéma de notre temps
- An interview with Akerman’s mother, Natalia
- Archival television interview excerpt featuring Akerman and star Delphine Seyrig
- Saute ma ville (1968), Akerman’s first film, with an introduction by the director
- New and improved English subtitle translation
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by film scholars Ivone Margulies and Janet Bergstrom

We're also getting Kagemusha and Playtime on blu-ray. Kagemusha is a little disappointing, wish they had picked a good Kurosawa film.

oh poo poo and a new Eclipse

NIKKATSU NOIR

Hell yes. I can't wait for more of these kinds of themed sets.

Jack Does Jihad fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 16, 2009

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

It's lackluster for Kurosawa. I don't hate it by any means, it's just a bit slow-moving. Also, Kurosawa's sense of color can be a little off-putting, it takes some getting used to.

The last 20 minutes feel really drawn out to me. Painfully slow. Kagemusha feels like a rough draft of Ran to me.

KidDynamite posted:

Is there any chance of Seven Samurai coming out on Blu-ray anytime soon?

No, last I heard is Criterion has to wait 6 months after Toho owned films get released in Japan, or something like that. We won't see Seven Samurai until months after it's released in Japan.

quote:

Edit: Also what is the link to the site where you can download their dvd covers in high res?

Criterion dungeon? You mean for wallpapers?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

EDIT: correction, Pierrot le Fou is also coming on Blu, September 22.

Awesome. How long did it take for Contempt and Ran to get cancelled?

and is anyone actually buying the Essential Art House stuff?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't think they've ever done "Halloween releases" just because it's October. Last October was Missing, Le Deuxieme Souffle, Le Doulos, and the Mizoguchi Eclipse set. Before that the October releases were Under the Volcano, Breathless, Mala Noche, Days of Heaven, and the Saura set.

Yeah, their monthly releases rarely coincide with anything seasonal or holiday related. The Monsters and Madmen set would've been prime for October, but I think it got a January release or something.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Eclipse Series 18: Dusan Makavejev - Free Radical

I loving hate Makavejev, but I might end up renting this one day just out of curiosity.

I have no clue who this guy is, why do you hate him? Outside of Z, this is the only thing that seems mildly interesting, mostly because it's a new Eclipse.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I hate that all these sales are going on cuz I haven't seen anything on sale I really really want..

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

What a weird month. 2 new movies, a television release (sort of), no Eclipse, 1 Blu-Ray, none of the titles we've been waiting for.

Yeah..can't say I'm particularly excited about any of these. But I'm sure someone is.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Ugh, that's a really nice looking set. Too bad I already own half of those..

Bet the retail price will be ridiculous.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

LaptopGun posted:

Throne of Blood 2

I'd watch this.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion confirmed The Third Man is OOP on Facebook:

"Not a typo, unfortunately. We'd keep it in print if we could."

list of good movies

Ugh, how depressing.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

This is kind of a dumb question, but I'm probably gunna blind buy some Ozu, as I tried to watch Tokyo Story via netflix but the disc was too hosed up and I only got 20 mins in. I found it to be pretty interesting as I've never really delved into his filmography at all.

That said, what are good places to start?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Ugh, Criterion's Facebook wall is becoming a shitheap. 90% of the posts are people requesting stupid poo poo or asking questions that were answered already. Combined with the absurdly awful "fake covers" thread on The Auteurs, I'm surprised they even answer anything anymore.

I really doubt they would rather all those dumb questions clog up email space.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

penismightier posted:

I went in wanted to get House,

If you meant the Japanese 1977 horror one, it's not out yet. Unless you meant House of Games or something.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Sporadic posted:

What an awesome company Criterion is. I placed an order for 2 replacement Blu-Ray cases back in January but never received them. Emailed them yesterday, got a response today saying that not only are they resending them via USPS Priority but that they are throwing in a $10 gift certificate.

Can't think of any other company that would do that for an order that was only $10.61.

That is cool of them. But what on earth costs 10 dollars in the Criterion store? You could order another blu ray case, I guess.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

When's the next Criterion sale? I remember shortly after the Barnes and Noble one, word on street was that they were gunna have another sale there soon, but it's been quite awhile. Does Amazon's occur at a certain time of the year?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

caiman posted:

That's just way too far away.

Sounds about right, I know what I'm getting for my birthday that week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

I'm glad that House has one of Obayashi's shorts on it.

zandert33 posted:

I wish I understood the hype behind "House", sure it's kinda "wacky", but I also found it extremely boring.

I guess if you find "wacky" and "insane" to be boring, then yeh House is the most boring movie ever made.

And yeah, I'd rather see Life Aquatic on blu-ray than Darjeeling.

Is that all for this month? No Eclipse set?