Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I picked up Science is Fiction but I haven't opened it yet because I'm confused about the packaging.

I work at Barnes & Nobel and our computer shows a cardboard/paper type case in the search results (I'm a fan, I think the colors look a lot better). Is there any word on them changing the cases around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

soggybagel posted:

This might just be plain old rumor mongering but I was at my local Barnes and Noble (Santa Monica) and while I was browsing the Criterion dvd selection which is really good at this store the guy working there mentioned that allegedly he believed starting next week all the Criterion DVD's at Barnes would be 50 percent off. Even with the markup from the store this is still a better deal than you can find off of Amazon.

So I'd just keep my eyes peeled on your local Barnes and Noble over the next week or two to see if this comes true.

I was working there about 2 weeks ago and I remembered seeing a memo for an upcoming sale that marked ALL DVD's off 50%.

I'll check back in with my manager tomorrow when I pick up some paychecks.

Update: Alright so I checked in today what the deal was. It's 50% off select Criterion titles. But the selection of titles is from a list of like 450+ so it's basically all of the Criterions.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 8, 2009

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

That Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray, is that a normal case or is it the folding paper one they've been using.

I've seen a cool shorter plastic case for the newest blu-ray release but I just can't bring myself to buy a paper case.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

They look nicer, but I'm just always concerned about durability.

I can always switch out out the cases and it'll look brand new, where as any ding, or normal wearing you get with the digipak case is for good.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Just came home with The Hit, Dazed and Confused and the Blu-Ray of The Seventh Seal.

:c00l:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This is probably not "fake urgency" but because the store only ever stocks one or zero of each Criterion since they move so slowly. Sometimes they stock up specifically for sales, but even so I doubt every store would have stocked multiples of every Criterion, because even with the sale there are going to be a lot of distributor returns, which costs B&N money.

This.
I worked there for about a year and a half in the music/movie department. The only time we get more than one is if it's a new release, or it's a special occasion (ie: employee recommendations, actor dies or there's a sale)

Another big problem is that they're big targets for theft. Again, why we don't have more than one.
We got hit big when a couple filled a modified bag with rows of blu-ray/criterion at a time and walked out.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Macrame_God posted:

The Criterion used to have Hard Boiled and The Killer and those were excellent action flicks as was Robocop. Since they lost the rights, I don't know what else The Criterion has as far as modern and conventional action pictures go. The Rock maybe? Speaking of which, was The Rock included in the sale? I didn't see it and I believe it's still in print.

I guess the folks at The Criterion Collection should look into getting some more modern action flicks.

Man, I'd like nothing more than to get a BR copy of those action movies.

I found a copy of The Rock at Half Priced Books, but I need to clean it off so it'll play 100%.
And I've looked for it while working at B&N but for some reason it's not in our system, so I just assumed it was OOP.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Man, I don't think I've been this excited/happy for a Criterion release in a long time.

Repo Man is one of my favorites!

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I've never seen a WalMart with criterions.

Do they carry them now?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Uhhg, that grain kills it for me.

I had the same problem with Night of the Hunter on BluRay. I got a headache and felt a little sick after watching that.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Does Amazon match the B&N Criterion sale prices?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Cloks posted:

Got Slacker, Dazed and Confused and The Apu Trilogy. Slacker was a blind buy but I've seen a lot of other Linklater movies.

Really looking forward to watching the Apu Trilogy again. I saw it when it was touring art house cinemas last year and was blown away.

I got Dazed and Confused because I saw Everybody Wants Some!!! with my girlfriend and she needs to see it.

Slacker is ok. Although the more I watch it the more annoying/cliche the characters get.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Also pre-orders don't get the discount. Blood Simple is sitting at $27.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Dr. Strangelove is out of stock online. LAAAAME

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Picked up:
Kagemusha
Hard Day's Night
Lady Snowblood
Mulholland Drive

Wanted to get Dr. Strangelove, but alas, it sold out. Might swing by my local store.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Would a physical B&N store take an unopened online product and swap it out for the same one?

The copy of Hard Day's Night I got is pretty banged up on the corners.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There should be a B&N sale in November, correct? If so I may just pick up Blood Simple and wait on the rest.

Hopefully the sale will be going on after Lone Wolf & Cub come out, super bummed I can't order it now as all I want is Blood Simple so I won't be getting free shipping.
Probably going to wait until the B&N sale.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Origami Dali posted:

Just a reminder, the BN sale starts 11/1 and runs till 11/28.

Hell yeah, Lone Wolf and Cub will be mine.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Egbert Souse posted:

It doesn't work online, but there's a 15% off coupon for one item
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobil...cctxe8HgnazZ_Qw

Dammit, it expires a day after LW&C comes out...

I know they've applied discounts to pre-purchase items before...

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

When is the next 50% off sale. I want Police Story!

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Egbert Souse posted:

Flash sale starts tomorrow at noon EST.

This sale only extends to DVD and BR copies.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Gripweed posted:

What does that leave out, t-shirts?

4K movies :(

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Cloks posted:

kojima should get to visit the criterion closet

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Steen71 posted:

Criterion's edition of Miller's Crossing is cut by almost two minutes - because the Coens suffer from Lucasitis, I guess. Also, the transfer is exactly the same as the 2011 Fox edition.

They cut one of the best lines - "Jesus, Tom!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3YATAlIkk8

Wait really? Boooo

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

What are the chances of True Stories getting a 4K release anytime soon?
I feel like they released the blu-ray sourced from 4K so it's just a matter of getting it on a disc right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

checkplease posted:

Do you think he watched wall e

He watched it, then died.