System Message

The forum store is down for maintenance and should reopen in the afternoon/evening (Central time). Thanks again to all the beta testers!
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Here are some pictures of the Last Metro BluRay packaging:

The cover is hole punched along the title:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

It's been a long time since I was as excited for Criterion solicits as I am for the Human Condition and For All Mankind BR. Hopefully all of that 8mm and 16mm film looks okay in the upgrade.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Makes sense since the print was touring with Made in U.S.A.
Vivre Sa Vie was recently making the rounds from Janus, too.

Well, poo poo. I just realized I missed the Human Condition at Film Forum today. I was even in the Village. Dammit.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 17, 2009

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Hate doing this, but I have to sell my Fanny & Alexander boxset. Hoping to get $35 shipped. It's in very good condition, even the box itself.
Also, Truffaut's The Last Metro Bluray for $15 shipped if anyone wants it. Never been played since I don't have a bluray player. $45 shipped for both if anyone wants them together. Just PM me.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It probably means nothing, but Criterion's put up two posts on Facebook about Citizen Kane.
Not Criterion, but it's coming in Blu anyway: http://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Anniversary-Collectors-Magnificent-Ambersons/dp/B001PIHH5M/

quote:

Bonus Disc: The Magnificent Ambersons (DVD)
Bonus Disc: RKO 281 (DVD)
Bonus Disc: American Experience: The Battle Over Citizen Kane (DVD)
Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich
Commentary by Roger Ebert
The Battle Over Citizen Kane Documentary
Opening: World Premier of Citizen Kane Vintage Featurettes
Interview with Ruth Warrick
Interview with Robert Wise
Storyboards
Call Sheets
Still Photography with Commentary by Roger Ebert
Deleted Scenes
Ad Campaign
Press Book
Opening Night
10/30/38 Mercury Theatre Broadcast of War of the Worlds (Audio Only)
10/28/40 KTSA, San Antonio Broadcast of H.G. Wells Meets Orson Welles (Audio Only)
Theatrical Trailer
*Note: Special Features are on DVD format

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

zandert33 posted:

A little strange to see "Secret Sunshine" there. I thought the movie was kinda interesting, and did think the movie was well shot and had some great performances (though I didn't love the movie). I just think its a little weird that this is the what they pick as their first Korean release, the movie is really not that remarkable. I kinda assumed that "The Housemaid" (the original) would be their first Korean movie since it is on the Aueter's website and is also considered one of the best classic South Korean movie made.

I'm in agreement with FFD though, it's great to have more countries represented, and with so many great Korean movies that exist its great to see Criterion taking some.

I can't imagine that's true since some trashy US companies have released Korean movies under their "shock" labels, so I don't think it's a matter of difficulty.
YA released Peppermint Candy a barebones few years ago on DVD. That would have been my choice for the first South Korean title in the Collection. Odd that it's the same director. I know it made the rounds on the festival circuit when it came out, but Secret Sunshine would have been one of my last choices for a Korean film in the collection. The original The Housemaid didn't knock my socks off either (the new version, which is not really a remake, did however). Poetry would have made a lot more sense and was by far the better film.

Excited for the Jean Vigo disc though, even though I've seen them all, and The Killing, especially if it has Killer's Kiss on it.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

zandert33 posted:

I understand what you are saying about the original "Housemaid", but often Criterion is concerned with releasing "important" films just as much as "good" films. I don't think "Housemaid" is one of the greatest movies ever, but it clearly an "important" one for Korean cinema.

Can't say I agree about the "remake", thought it was freaking horrible, and the ending was disastrously hilarious in all the wrong ways.

Completely agree with your comment about "Peppermint Candy" though. Hell, Criterion should have tried to put out a Chang-dong Lee boxset similar to what came out in South Korea a couple years back with "Green Fish", "Peppermint Candy" and "Oasis", and they could have thrown "Secret Sunshine" in there as well. Obviously they don't own the rights to the others, but doubt they were going for that much, and it would have included some actually great Korean movies.
True, though Korean film isn't taken as seriously here, so it would be a really hard sell, where you can get away with the less exciting European and Japanese. I think most people watch it on The Auteurs because it's a free title (or was when I watched it anyway, a while ago since the place was still called The Auteurs then).

I think it's been said before though that Eclipse mostly exists to get rid of the backlog of films they own the rights to so the film's producers will stop breathing down their necks about profits. I would have loved a Lee Chang-dong box set though. Or some sort of 90s box set, maybe stuff like A Single Spark, A Petal, Sopyonje or something. Secret Sunshine appeals more to people who heard about Jeon Do-yeon winning at Cannes than it does Korean film fans. Which is fine, of course. Way more people interested in Cannes titles than Korean film. I'm barely interested in Korean film anymore.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Space Cooter posted:

It's a shame that Korean cinema isn't as acknowledged as it should be as some of the best filmmakers working today are Korean. Only genre pictures seem to become popular here (Oldboy, or I Saw the Devil recently) but I think that's true of other countries too. Maybe Secret Sunshine will sell well and they'll want to release more stuff
Well, the problem is that the Korean industry bought into this concept after the Asian Extreme stuff got big over here. Guys like Roy Lee started buying up remark rights and has been really bland since around 2006 because a lot of the films seemed angled to have the remake rights bought. But most of those remakes, except The Uninvited, really flopped over here. The industry kind of needs an identity again, like it did in the mid-90s. It's kind of going through what Hong Kong went through, I guess. But we're not poaching their best directors, so it should be easier for them I think.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

zandert33 posted:

I don't want to derail too much more, since there is a SK movie thread already (but then again, nobody posts in it). I think a major hit to South Korean movies was that whole screen quota nonsense a few years back, that I'm sure still plays a factor today. Since not as many Korean movies can get play in the theaters, less are financed, less are made, and if you are a studio you're going to want to make more movies that will make the most money. Sadly American companies have jumped all over the "Extreme" South Korean titles, and usually buy them up, so South Korean studios will most likely make those movies since they sell and get the hype.

The problem is that the "Extreme" movies have pretty much hit a saturation point. "I Saw the Devil" was not very good, and though I did like "Man from Nowhere" it still played into the same old themes we've seen a million times. A few years ago there seemed to be a wide variety of all types of interesting movies coming out over there, now it's mostly "revenge movies" or romantic comedies/dramas.
It was already on its way down before the quota stuff happened, I think. All the quota stuff really did was rob us of Choi Min-sik for a couple of years, but he's back now, although I haven't seen any of his new films.

I was also thinking that Chingu and Spirit of Jeet Kun Do might fit in the collection. Chingu more so, but Criterion also loves to youth run amok films too (Crazed Fruit, Lord of the Flies, If....)

The arthouse stuff (Im and Hong Sang-soo, Kim Ki-duk, etc) does get R1 releases, I think even a few by Home Vision. Which is half good, since they're released, but half bad since they're just kind of thrown out there, barebones with mediocre transfers. Hong Sang-soo's films are almost ideal for the Collection, especially something like Tale of Cinema. Im Sang-soo as well, especially The Good Lawyer's Wife or maybe even Tears.

Ridley327 posted:

Magnificent Ambersons being relegated to a DVD-only bonus feature for Citizen Kane is, quite frankly, the biggest load of loving poo poo ever. What the hell is going on at Warner?
I don't think it's actually part of the set, I think it's just included by Amazon. It's in a totally different part of the packaging, while RKO 281 is the actual third disc in the box set. (Shame that's only DVD though. It's one of the better TV movies ever made, even if Cromwell looks absolutely nothing like Hearst.) I would be fantastic if Criterion could get some of Welle's other films out, like The Trial or Chimes at Midnight. I think those are both barebones discs in R1, aren't they?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

It's all books and DVDs on bn.com, one day only. They sent out an email this morning. Wish I wasn't broke. I'd be buying High & Low for certain.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

That's strange. There is no mention of a short run or anything on CF.org. In fact everyone there seems to have a copy.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

And here I thought Fanny and Alexander would be the thing I'd start bugging them for after they released In the Mood for Love...

Incredible month.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really want it to be a confirmation of Y tu mamá también.
Wasn't the wedding a matador themed wedding? Could be. Probably has to be next month if they're going to honor the graphic they made of all of the titles to be released in the next year since the next announce day is December's slate.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

If anyone has a copy of The Third Man bluray in the replacement case (not slipcase), could you PM me please?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Rick Deckard posted:

In The Mood for Love

There is always movies people think of that never come to mind for me. So lets hear them.
We don't need movies people didn't think of because it's a cinematic crime that In the Mood for Love has not been released in HD anywhere, not even Asia. Even As Tears Go By has a Bluray release.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Space Fish posted:

I just had a great experience with Criterion's customer support this past week, and feel like it is worth sharing with you.

*Preaches to the choir*

I ordered three movies from Criterion's site during their celebratory sale of reaching 75,000 followers on Facebook. Two movies arrived in the mail, and I waited a couple more business days to see if the third movie was just in a separate package. I checked the USPS tracking number and the entire package was considered "Delivered."

I e-mailed their Orders address with my order information to inform them that I had not received the third movie. ONLY to inform them, mind you - it could have been stolen at my house, stolen in transit, bungled by Criterion, I didn't know. I got an e-mail back from a Criterion representative letting me know they'd just express-shipped me a copy of the missing movie directly from their New York office. Criterion didn't have to do that, but they did.

Companies who do right by their customers deserve good word of mouth.
To add to this, I emailed Criterion two weeks ago about a replacement case for The Third Man, which was on backorder, asking if they'd ever print anymore since it was OOP. The girl, Claire, couldn't find any to send me, but she did mail me a copy of the booklet for free which was pretty cool of her and something she didn't have to do since they don't even offer the booklet with the replacement cases. (Not that they have any more use for booklets, but still.)

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

FYI: some of the back ordered replacement covers are back in stock on criterion.com if anyone needs.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Picked up Darjeeling Limited with the extra BN coupon code. Thinking about My Life as a Dog.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

For what it's worth, I wasn't that high on Fanny and Alexander the first time I saw it. I watched the theatrical version first. But it shortly became my favorite film after seeing the television version. I also watch it once a year around Christmas. It adds an incredible amount of depth to the story, especially with Isak's family. The commentary is fine, though nothing special from what I recall. It was done along with the theatrical version, I guess because Cowie didn't want to talk for five hours, which is certainly understandable. The documentary is great. The booklet is great. It's worth the price of the box set if you have the money to spend.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Got a 25% off code in the mail, so Fanny and Alexander blu was only $27 with shipping and tax. I hate-love that BN are so generous with coupon codes. It's nice, but I always feel compelled to buy poo poo I can't really afford.

Speaking of, if anyone is looking for a good deal on the DVD Fanny and Alexander box, let me know.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

I never had much of a hate for Tiny Furniture. I merely didn't like it and didn't give it much thought after. I really thought it was a totally forgettable film. If anything, the wave of people spewing hate on it made me side with it a little, even though it was not a film I liked. But if Lena Dunham approved that cover, I'm gonna go ahead and side with the people spewing hate on it. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life.

Bown posted:

Has anyone who bought the F&A blu-ray received it yet? I'm really interested to know more about it.
I got mine today. I played a little of Episode 1 of the long cut and it looks absolutely fantastic. My ears aren't so great so I didn't notice anything different about the uncompressed soundtrack. As for the supplements, I'm not sure any of them were sourced from HD except that The Making of F&A was 16mm and looks all right. Very grainy, but that's just from being a 29 year old 16mm source, and honestly that's what 16mm is supposed to look like anyway.

I'm really pissed that my box took a corner ding in its travels though. B&N packed it in just a plain thin plastic mailer instead of the normal fold-over box that my Darjeeling Limited came in last week. Also the box doesn't have the little surprise inside of the spine that the larger DVD box had :/

robix smash fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 17, 2011

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

kaujot posted:

Newsletter clue this month looks like it's gonna be Being John Malkovich. Too much to hope that they also got access to Adaptation?
Doubt it. Adaptation just came out on blu. Port of the DVD I'm pretty sure.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Rick Deckard posted:

With the plastic bag packaging I am hearing about and long shipping times, imagine the condition it'll arrive in once it reaches Canada.
This was the first time I bought anything at the B&N sale. Did they do plastic mailer shipping in the past too? Maybe we should start an email campaign to get them to ask B&N to use the normal fold over boxes for the next sale? Sales are great, but not when your poo poo comes all hosed up.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Yikes. $23 for the Seven Samurai bluray in the Amazon sale.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Island Nation posted:

$23? I see $31 currently

Still OK but B&N is a larger discount now
It was part of their lightning discount deals from 11:30-2:30. (Took six minutes to sell out according to the timestamp on Criterion's twitter feed.)

N7C7K8T 30% off on item at bn.com right now btw. No Criterion stuff in their Cyber Monday deals, but the 30% is store wide I believe. Or if you want a tenuous Criterion connection, I got the Taxi Driver blu, which has the old Criterion laserdisc commentary on it.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 28, 2011

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

I've been holding off watching the whole of Fanny and Alexander until closer to Christmas. I just finished the second episode and the only thing I noticed was a slight stutter in the video when the camera pans through the room during Oskar's death. Anyone else notice this?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

FitFortDanga posted:

edit: cf.org is pegging the Coney Island sign as Lonesome, which I never heard of but it looks good
Lonesome is pretty short for a disc all on its own.

My guess/hope is still The Little Fugitive.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Maybe I'm reading this email wrong, but in addition to a 50% code for criterion.com (SWAK, starting at noon tomorrow), they gave out a $10 credit to everyone who created a wishlist on the site?

So, that's basically going to be a disc for $9.99 + shipping?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

It's a good deal for enough people to crash the site at 11:59.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Yeah, I finally got through. 8 1/2 for $16.80, pretty good.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 14, 2012

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Criterion are totally jerks for releasing a still that looks so much like In the Mood for Love, but isn't. I can't see ever watching Certified Copy a second time honestly.

kuddles posted:

Goddammit. I wish I had read this thread yesterday, because half of what I wanted is out of stock.
There is going to be a second code for out of stock items they said.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

The backorder code is REDO for anyone who didn't get an email.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

I like the cover for Summer with Monika, just not the font.

friendo55 posted:

As much as I too would love a bluray of In the Mood For Love, it's a shame that you're not willing to see Certified Copy more than once. I think it's a film that rewards you with multiple viewings. There are many ways to interpret the film and it can thus provide varying degrees of emotion and resonance. It's one of my favourite films of 2011 and i'll be buying the Criterion after already picking up the UK blu. Excited for the cover art this afternoon!
I thought it was a fine film, but I wasn't as blown away by the central question as most people seem to have been and couldn't really find any kind of emotional connection into it at all. Just for contrast's sake, In the Mood for Love has both a great central conceit and an emotional inlet.

friendo55 posted:

Excited for the cover art this afternoon!
You're Eddie Mush from A Bronx Tale!

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

This is only going to encourage those assholes who think requesting/guessing Space Jam is funny.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Cacator posted:

No idea. That's why I think it's Space Jam.
It would be a travesty if they didn't release Good Burger first.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The .org dweebs are suggesting it has something to do with Spalding Gray, which would actually be really, really cool.
Haven't they been doubling up some of the drawings? I remember thinking that one of them a while ago pointed to both Red Desert and The Thin Red Line.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Children of Paradise blu coming up soon, I guess? Criterion linked to this demonstration of the restoration on Facebook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfiTGvbVpsg

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

That has to be the least effort they've ever put into a clue.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wes Anderson's movies
This is not remotely accurate. More like take Joe Swanberg or Andrew Bujalski's movies and give their characters a moneyed background.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Philip Kaufman in the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMFHvBEvKI

Did they get Unbearable Lightness of Being back? Or The Right Stuff? Henry and June? Invasion of the Body Snatchers maybe? If there is one thing Criterion likes (besides samurais) it's low budget horror/thrillers. I can't see any of his newer films getting released.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Egbert Souse posted:

The only problem with a Criterion Spartacus is that it needs an expensive new transfer. At least 4K from the 65mm preservation elements. Then again, they could probably justify the cost considering almost all of their Universal releases use older transfers (minus DVNR). They're also the only R1 studio to show interest in Napoleon, which is going to cost a fortune to produce.
Uni could trot it out for a re-release to offset some of the cost before the bluray release. An awful lot of people would go out to see that, especially projected in 70mm. The Godfather re-release did pretty well, so did the one day only Casablanca release. Kind of annoyed Paramount didn't re-release Jaws after spending all that money to clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

I'm excited for Metropolitan on blu even though it's probably one of the few that didn't need a blu upgrade. Still, it's one of the first movies I really got into, back in the mid-90s when A&E would show it.