Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FitFortDanga posted:

(Yojimbo & Sanjuro BRs also available together in a box, just like the DVDs)

Awesome, I knew there was a reason I kept putting off buying the DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

penismightier posted:

How often do y'all purchase poo poo without having seen it?

I'm much more likely to buy a Criterion release blindly than a normal movie, if only for the fact that I can always resell it for a decent amount if it turns out I hate it. :v:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

FitFortDanga posted:

People are reporting that they still can find The Third Man Blu-Ray at Border's brick and mortar stores. So if you feel you've missed your chance, you might want to shop around.

It's true, I just bought a copy at my local Border's about a month ago, it was listed at $34.99 but Border's coupons are easy enough to find to make it even cheaper.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

SneakySneaks posted:

Also is The Spy Who Came in from the Cold worth buying, I'm not expecting The Third Man quality but I'm really in the mood for a good spy flick.

I thought it was fantastic, I'm no expert on the genre but I'd say it was the best spy film I've ever seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

TheManWithNoName posted:

Got my Pierrot Le Fou bluray today, just in time I guess since Amazon has it at shipping in 10-14 days now.

If anyone is concerned with Amazon running out, I just got a copy at Borders. Their price is $39.99 but Borders Rewards members get a 33% off coupon this week that brings it to almost the same price as Amazon.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Whelp, I was waiting for some kind of sale to pick up The Man Who Fell to Earth, guess I'll be getting it sooner then!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Can y'all at least say something about the movie so there's some sort of indication you at least took it out of the plastic?

Wait, there are movies in these cases??

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

LaptopGun posted:

Of course a Barnes and Noble sale will be nowhere in sight. :signings: Any decent long range suggestions? Or perhaps I should say, where do people normally buy Criterions.

The prices on Amazon aren't so good right now, but around they holidays they were quite a bit lower (most of the ones I was looking at were under $25). Still not as good as the B&N sale but way better than most places.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

bmmello posted:

I became a B&N member at the sale last year, but haven't used the store much since them. What happened with the additional discounts to each item? I see they now offer free expedited shipping, however that doesn't work for me as I live abroad.

Well, my membership expires at the end of the month and I don't think I'll renew it.

It looks like you get the free upgraded shipping online but no discount. You still get 10% off in-store though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Macrame_God posted:

While we're on the subject of advice, can anyone sell me on Ride with the Devil? It seems interesting, but I'm still on the fence about it.

I'd say rent it before buying it. If a Civil War period drama directed by Ang Lee sounds like your cup of tea, it's pretty decent, but I wouldn't call it a great film. I personally enjoy it, but it's not my favorite Ang Lee film and I don't think it's on par with most of Criterion's other recent releases. The Blu Ray does look quite good though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone else order from the B&N website and have their order mysteriously split up? I ordered 4 films but today only 2 showed up and the invoice only lists those two. I hope the other 2 are just in a different shipment...

I've had that happen before with their site, no idea why. The stuff has always arrived though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I stopped in to Barnes and Noble today and picked up The Magician and Paths of Glory. Watched the latter tonight, it's a great movie and of course looks amazing. I'll be going back next week to get Night of the Hunter, but I probably won't be able to control myself and I'll get another one or two on top of that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The .org dweebs are reporting that it's kind of flimsy but I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on it

I picked it up yesterday. I wouldn't call it flimsy, and I love the design, but with that sort of case the booklet is just loose and tends to fall out, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
According to Amazon's Facebook page, tomorrow's Gold Box deals are all going to be Criterion titles. No word on which ones or how much though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has Pierrot le fou for $20

Worth getting mainly due to the StudioCanal edition having wrong color timing in spots.

Also, this one is out of print, so this is likely the best price you'll find on it possibly ever.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Macrame_God posted:

Jigoku makes for great horror movie fare, namely in the final act.

Agreed.

I also like Cronos a lot. It's not particularly scary, but it's a fun movie and has a pretty original take on (mild spoiler) vampires.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Hit up my local store tonight, they had a pretty good selection but I thought that Rules of the Game was already out on Blu and I was disappointed to find that I was wrong. Still, I picked up Island of Lost Souls and Repulsion. I came really close to also getting the Nikkatsu Noir set... I'm still thinking about it though so I probably should have just grabbed it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Bown posted:

DVDBeaver tells me that the TV version of Fanny & Alexander on the new blu-ray is just one massive long film and not split into the four chapters of the DVD. Could anyone confirm this?

It's definitely split up - there are credits after each section and a new title and the beginning of each. You can play them all in a row at once but the credits and such are still there.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ego-bot posted:

Does anyone know when the next Barnes and Noble sale is? I can't remember if it's every six months or just a november thing.

It's definitely more than once a year, I want to say the next one should be April/May.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I paid full price for The Third Man on Blu-Ray, but only because it was already out of print and Borders somehow still had a copy left.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

kaujot posted:

Do it. Literally the best film ever made.

I sat down to watch it (the longer TV version) for the first time at like 10PM one night, planning on splitting it up over the course of two or three evenings. I was up until 3. So loving good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

robix smash posted:

Anyone interested in getting the BBS box set and splitting it up? I really only want Five Easy Pieces, which is one of my favorites, but I can't swing the entire box for one disc. As far as I know each disc has its own digipak (think it's 7 discs + booklet), so it shouldn't be a problem if anyone is interested.

I used to have the whole set, but sold it. Every film in it is good, but the only one I really regret getting rid of is Head. I too wouldn't mind splitting it up with someone...

Also, yes, most of the films have their own digipak, but a couple share cases... Pretty sure Five Easy Pieces has it's own.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
How is the Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse set? I know absolutely nothing about it, but it looks really interesting and at only $20 I was tempted to blind buy it this weekend.

Ended up grabbing blus of The Uninvited, Godzilla, and Eyes Without a Face. I had a really hard time limiting myself to just those three, but I'll make another trip to the store later this month and pick up another few titles.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
The Uninvited has two different radio adaptations on the disc

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

friendo55 posted:

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

Nikkatsu Noir is a favorite of mine, and I know a lot of folks in this thread love it too.

edit: To elaborate a bit, if you like Seijun Suzuki (Branded to Kill, Tokyo Drifter), you'll like this set too. One of the films is directed by Suzuki (Take Aim at the Police Van, which rules and is my favorite in the set), and Joe Shishido stars in two others.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 14, 2014

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

friendo55 posted:

That's a good question to ask everyone else - just based on film quality itself, what are your top 3-5 essential titles to own for those just starting out?

To recommend for someone else, I'd probably say Night of the Hunter, The Seventh Seal, The Thin Red Line, Seven Samurai, and The Third Man.

My own personal top 5 would be a little different, swapping out the last two for F for Fake and Branded to Kill, but I wouldn't call those two as "essential" - I just really love them.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I was planning on skipping the sale this year, but the extra 30% off coupon today swayed me. Picked up the Monsters and Madmen set, came to $30 shipped.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm thinking on The Blob, or When Horror Came to Shochiku, which I've heard isn't super great but calls to me.

Do you have Nikkatsu Noir? If not, get that.

I like the Koreyoshi Kurahara set too.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 8, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Seeing No Country For Old Men in the theater was great, the whole audience just kind of sat there in silence for a minute after it ended.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Walked into B&N today to buy a book, walked out with the Tati set on Blu. Mostly a blind buy, I've seen Playtime but it was a long time ago. Only $45 after a couple coupons though, I couldn't resist.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Did the topic dissappear? Link doesn't appear to work.

Works fine for me. If you can't get it to load, just go to criterionforum.org/forum, scroll down to Rumors and News, and it's the second "Announcement" thread in that subforum.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 28, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Seconding all the other Bergman recommendations - the TV version of Fanny and Alexander in particular. I also love Smiles of a Summer Night and Hour of the Wolf.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Picked up Mullholland Dr, Naked Lunch, and Fantastic Planet today, and I'll be going back for Carnival of Souls next week and probably others because I have no self control with this sale.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Anyone have any recommendations for films like Tokyo Drifter/Branded to Kill that are available on blu-ray/DVD? I have the Nikkatsu Noir set (amazing) and the Koreyoshi Kurahara set (mixed). Doesn't have to be Criterion.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Criminal Minded posted:

His films are kind of a universe unto themselves, but you should check out some Sion Sono if it's wild Japanese stuff you want. He doesn't stick to crime as a genre, but Why Don't You Play in Hell? or Tokyo Tribe (which is a hip-hop musical, so take that however you want) might scratch your itch. The former is streaming on Prime and the latter on Netflix. If you're not strictly looking for crime films, you should check out Love Exposure and Guilty of Romance.

Thanks, I'll check those out on streaming. I do love crime/noir stuff but I'm open to anything.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Antisamitism posted:

Have you checked out the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys series? Arrow Video puts them out; three movies per set, and the second volume just came out like a month ago. It's a pretty good assortment of fun, jazzy crime movies. The first set has an early Suzuki in it (Voice Without a Shadow), and Jo Shishido is well represented across both volumes. Nothing quite as off-beat as Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, but still worth your time.

Those look like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the recommendation.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Unmature posted:

Meryl Streep is in one of these movies?

I'm bad at detecting jokes on the internet so in case you are serious: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084707/

Also I'd second Blow Out, although A Hard Day's Night is a very close second.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
How much of Suzuki's filmography is available in the west? Other than Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill, all I've seen are Voice Without a Shadow (from Arrow's Nikkatsu Diamond Guys set) and Take Aim at the Police Van (from the Nikkatsu Noir set).

I've also never seen Youth of the Beast, which I didn't realize was Suzuki until just now. I'll have to get on that.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I just picked up Stalker at my local B&N and they had a ton of copies sitting on the shelf. In fact I've never had to preorder anything during their sales, they are always well stocked. Maybe there just aren't many Criterion fans in my city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was Stalker not supposed to come with a booklet?

Mine came with one.