Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

vertov posted:

DeepDiscountDVD is having a 40% off sale on Criterion titles. Say goodbye to your money!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

Thanks for the heads up! I bought Fritz Lang's M. Haven't seen it, but have heard good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Macrame_God posted:

What part? That he only suspects that "M" is a great film or that he doesn't seem to know that it's in the public domain and he can download it for free at archive.org?

So is downloading a crappy internet file preferable to purchasing a Criterion Collection dvd nowadays? :confused:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've found a person offering Hard Boiled used for $40. The movie aside, and focusing just on the rarity/desirability of the DVD, do you guys think this is a good deal? I may even be able to talk him down a bit lower.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 26, 2007

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man, I just can't decide about buying Hard Boiled or not. Here's my situation. I haven't seen the movie, but I saw this offer and realized it was a good deal, considering how hard the dvd is to find at a good price. My main interest in it is simply to have a rare OOP Criterion dvd (of a movie that's apparently really, really cool). But then I hear that the quality isn't that great (non anamorphic), and that a better non-CC version is coming out.

So I'm a little torn. On the one hand I'd like to own a rare CC, but on the other hand, paying $30-$40 for a poor quality dvd with a better version available seems a bit silly. I only own a dozen or so CCs, so it's not like this is the key to completing an entire collection or anything.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

If you're not anal about owning Criterions, then just wait for the upcoming non-CC version.

I am anal about owning Criterions, and I'm getting really frustrated with bootleggers. I've bought two bootleg versions of The Killer so far; luckily, I was able to get my money back. I have another one one the way, but I have a very strong suspicion that it, too, will be a bootleg. Does anyone have an authentic copy of this drat movie that they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable ($50-60) price?

Question: When you bid on these auctions for DVDs that turn out to be boots, did the original auction state, "This is NOT a bootleg?" I've just always been curious if the bootleg sellers on eBay are stealthy, or just downright deceitful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

Well it's a tricky situation. Some of these guys don't know they're selling bootlegs because the bootleggers have gotten so drat good. However, there are some things that will tell you immediately if you have an authentic Criterion. One is the NIMBUS logo near the center of the disc.

So does the NIMBUS logo absolutely, positively mean that the DVD is legit?

It seems like it wouldn't be a difficult thing for a bootlegger to duplicate.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks slayn, lots of good advice. The guy I'm considering buying from isn't on eBay, but an exchange forum on another site. I'm not TOO concerned about it being a bootleg. I trust him, but my only worry is that he might THINK it's legit when it's not. I may ask him where he got it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

As an example of an auction that I'm about 99% certain is legit, I just won this one for Hard Boiled. He provided a lot of pictures of the DVD, and his other auctions make it look like he's just selling off some of his collection.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but getting bootlegs when I expect authentic discs really, really pisses me off and I just want to help anyone that'll listen avoid that kind of frustration.

Heh, I've been following that auction for about 24 hours. Congrats!

I too just decided to bite the bullet and get Hard Boiled from the previous mentioned deal I was considering. The final deal was $30 plus my Bottle Rocket dvd (which can be had for about $6 on DeepdiscountDVD :) ). The guy told me he purchased it at the store back when it was announced to be OOP, and it's in great condition. I'll post an update in this thread once I get it to let you guys know if I got an awesome deal, or if I was totally raped in the rear end.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MatrixSchmatrix posted:

I never even considered that Silence of the Lambs might be a bootleg, it's generally so cheap that I didn't think people would bother. Is it supposed to be in a slightly strange case, where the indentation on the side is shallower than pretty much every other dvd case there is?

Mine is in a standard Amaray style keepcase (with the "yin yang" hub and normally-indented side). Though I wouldn't worry too much about yours being fake. I really haven't heard of many instances of SOTL CC being a boot. It's just not as rare as other OOP CCs.

Where did you buy it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's another general CC collecting question. For those of you who are trying to either obtain the entire collection, or just trying to pick up the rare OOPs, how do you factor in re-releases? Is the old version still desireable even though Criterion has released a better version with the same spine number? The perfect example is Salo. It's in talks of being re-released. Does this make the original release obsolete, or still something worth tracking down/paying top dollar for?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

What's that you say? Yet another bootleg bopy of The Killer? :bang:

drat, sorry to hear. Was this another ebay deal?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just bought a copy of The Killer for $40. The guy is from another forum and claims he got the DVD directly from Criterion when he used to work there some years ago. Supposedly it's in perfect condition. I'll let you guys know if I got screwed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I got Hard Boiled and The Killer in the mail. Just wanted to show them to you guys to help confirm that they're authentic. Both have the NIMBUS logo on the underside of the disc.

Both of the inner circles are mirror silver:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

slayn666 posted:

So long as the NIMBUS logo looks like this, you should be good to go.

Sweet. Looks like they're legit.

Did you ever end up finding a legit copy of The Killer?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That Under the Volcano cover is one of the neatest DVD covers I've ever seen. I swear, if Criterion released a coffee table book filled with their DVD cover art, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I just watched House (Hausu). Good lord what an amazing movie. Now I need to keep following this thread regularly so I know when to expect a Criterion release of the movie. I'll buy it the day it comes out.

And I might just have to buy that t-shirt.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That movie looks fantastic. What the hell are you complaining about?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

and Hausu is finally coming September 7th.

That's just way too far away.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Since I don't have a Blu-ray player or HDTV but plan to eventually, I'm currently avoiding purchasing DVDs that are also available on Blu-ray (I want to avoid double dipping as much as possible). I do, however, I want to take advantage of this sale so I need some recommendations for the best Criterions that don't have BD counterparts. Thanks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

postmodifier posted:

Considering that's a tremendous amount to recommend, what kind of stuff do you generally enjoy watching to the point that you want to own it?

Ok yeah, that was a bit too vague of a request. I like all sorts of stuff, and really I have yet to see a movie released by Criterion that I've hated. And I trust the opinions of most people on this forum. So maybe putting it this way will help: if you had to buy five Criterions that are only available on SDVD, what would they be?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Man, that's still a tall order. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending under such vague parameters.

I guess here's five I really love that I don't think are likely to get released on Blu any time soon.

The Browning Version
An Angel At My Table
I Fidanzati
The Exterminating Angel
Twenty-Four Eyes

Thanks, this is what I'm wanting.

I don't want to specify my tastes too much because I don't want any good recommendations to be left out.

How is Le Samourai (both movie and DVD)? I haven't seen any Melville, and this one is only $15.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh God, Paths of Glory is one of my favorite films, Hausu is truly amazing, I've been wanting to see The Darjeeling Limited for some time, thinking about how good Seven Samurai will look on Blu-ray makes me drool (I own the 3-disc on SDVD), and the cover for The Magician makes me want to own it sight unseen.

I think it's time to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So here's what I ended up picking up with this sale:

The Exterminating Angel
Night and Fog
Fanny and Alexander
Le Samourai

Have seen none of these.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

This will probably come out on Blu within the next year.

Dammit to hell.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This question has probably come up before, but is there any rhyme or reason for Criterion sometimes using "A film by..." and sometimes using "Directed by..."?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

drat, I've been strapped for cash for the last few months and have been forced to curtail my DVD buying, but a Criterion release of The Killing might just be enough for me to jump back in. I just saw it for the first time recently and absolutely loved it. Kubrick is so consistently good it's almost scary.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I own the region 2 DVDs of Charulata, Mahanager and Nayak from Artificial Eye and am very happy with the picture and subtitle quality. But I would gladly double dip for Criterions, especially blu-rays. Hope this turns out to be true.

What's been the hold up anyway on Criterion releasing Ray's stuff? Seems right up their alley.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

I think it's just a continuation of the joke.

Maybe they'll become so dedicated to the joke that they'll actually release it. That MUST have been what happened with Armageddon... right?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Not this again.

For the 600th time...

I was joking.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That cover for Naked is just... hmm.

Nice to see some Todd Solondz. I'd love to see a Happiness Criterion.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Phantom Carriage, so awesome.

Oh loving sweet. I swear I was one day away from watching this on crappy Youtube sliced up into 8 parts.

I wonder if it will include both scores.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Agreed. Whenever someone says that they don't like subtitled/black and white movies I talk them into watching Yojimbo to convince them that not all old or foreign movies suck. Works like a charm.

Anyone who says something like that isn't worth talking to.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh god The Phantom Carriage. Looks like it's time to buy a blu-ray player.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Picked up on blu-ray:

The Seventh Seal
Island of Lost Souls
The Killing
The Phantom Carriage

I'm sure that won't be the last of it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

Island of Lost Souls update: Richard Stanley is loving insufferable.

Also, Being John Malkovich? Bummer...

You mean Richard Arlen? Yeah, he does suck. It's funny to hear Baker/Landis/Burns praising him. He just stands around with his hands in his pockets smiling and delivering stilted lines. At least Laughton is amazing. In fact, Arlen is the only thing I didn't love about Island of Lost Souls. I can't believe this movie isn't more famous than it is.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

No, Arlen's alright, I mean Richard Stanley of the 1996 version, who's interviewed at length in another extra. He's a chump.

Oh yeah, that guy. Yeah he's a bit full of himself.

I really didn't like Arlen either.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Damnit it. I had Beauty and the Beast in my cart. I just want to checkout and it jumped up to $22.99.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm sure this question has been asked to death: is it Criterion's plan to re-release all of their in-print DVD titles on Blu-Ray eventually?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I haven't seen as many of Bergman's movies as some of you, but I really find Hour of the Wolf to be one of his most "cool". It's got the surrealist elements comparable to Persona (which I also love), but it's also got a great creepiness that I have yet to see in another Bergman. But like I said, there are many more to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Only 34, but I have a handful of rare ones including The Killer and Hard Boiled.