Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

All posts are equal but some posts are more equal than others
I've seen half of the Monsters and Madmen, so I may go ahead and pick that up. The new Yojimbo and Sanjuro look great too. I haven't yet picked up the new Seven Samurai, so does anyone know if Hidden Fortress is going to be getting a new edition? If so, I may just wait and see if they release all four movies in a box set like they did before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

#385: Army of Shadows

* SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* New high-definition digital transfer of the recent full restoration, supervised by director of photography Pierre Lhomme
* Optional Dolby Digital Stereo 2.0 soundtrack
* Audio commentary by Jean-Pierre Melville historian Ginette Vincendeau
* New interviews with Lhomme and editor Fran�oise Bonnot
* Archival excerpts from French television programs, including on-set footage from the film�s production and interviews with Melville; actors Jean-Pierre Cassel, Paul Crauchet, Paul Meurisse, and Simone Signoret; writer Joseph Kessel; and real-life Resistance fighters Andr� Dewavrin (a.k.a. Colonel Passy) and Lucie Aubrac, among others
* Jean-Pierre Melville et "L'Arm�e des ombres" (2006), a short documentary including interviews with Bonnot, Lhomme, Cassel, composer Eric Demarsan, writer and filmmaker Philippe Labro, and filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier
* Le journal de la R�sistance (1944), a rare short documentary shot on the front lines of the final days of the French Resistance
* Film restoration demonstration by Lhomme
* Theatrical trailers
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring critic Amy Taubin, historian Robert Paxton, and excerpts from Rui Nogueira�s Melville on Melville
* More!

#64: The Third Man (re-release)

* SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* Video introduction by writer-director Peter Bogdanovich
* Audio commentary by film scholar Dana Polan
* Shadowing "The Third Man", a ninety-minute 2005 feature documentary on the making of the film
* Abridged recording of Graham Greene�s treatment, read by actor Richard Clarke
* The Third Man on the radio: the 1951 �A Ticket to Tangiers� episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man
* Illustrated production history with rare behind-the-scenes photos, original UK press book, and U.S. trailer
* Actor Joseph Cotten�s alternate opening voiceover narration for the U.S. version
* Archival footage and photos of postwar Vienna
* A look at the untranslated foreign dialogue in the film
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Luc Sante, Charles Drazin, and Philip Kerr
* More!
I'm pretty interested in the Army of Shadows, but very excited about The Third Man. I can't remember if I've asked before, and I'm assuming no one knows anything about this, but has there ever been even a rumor that Criterion might release Our Man in Havana? I'm just thinking of a Carol Reed/Graham Greene box set, and I'd pretty much lose it in my pants if they did.

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like The Lady Vanishes will be re-issued

Argh, another double dip for me. I'm sure the extras will make it worth while though (I hope).

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

#434: CLASSES TOUS RISQUES

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Excerpts from Claude Sautet ou La magie invisible, a documentary on the director by writers N. T. Binh and Dominique Rabourdin
- Archival interview footage featuring actor Lino Ventura discussing his career
- Original French and U.S. release trailers
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: New essays by director Bertrand Tavernier and critic N. T. Binh, a reprinted interview with Sautet, and a tribute by Jean-Pierre Melville

I don't know anything about this one. Sounds okay.

This is a pretty solid French crime/gangster film - not so much New Wave, feels more like Rififi or Melville's stuff. I may look into this one.

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

friendo55 posted:

I've actually wanted to get into that as a career but don't really know where to turn or where to begin. I've tried emailing the George Eastman House with no reply, and the folks at Criterion said just to send in a resume - but with no experiencr I don't know how much good that'll do.

Interesting that you didn't hear back from GEH -- I used to work/volunteer there in the motion picture department. It's a great program, and one I was interested in until my life took a different direction. But like what others have said in this thread, archiving is a pretty tough market to get into, and with a bunch of programs (UCLA, NYU, GEH + others) feeding into it, it's crowded. But if you're interested, you should absolutely look into it! One of the things I loved about the program at GEH was that it was very hands on, although as mentioned, more focused on archiving/preservation than restoration.

I should have PMs turned on, so feel free to ask more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamin
Aug 22, 2003

I'm sure this is old news to everyone, but this weekend I got to see the DCP of The Passion of Joan of Arc on the big screen, and oh my god was it amazing. You could see every pore, and I can't wait to add the blu-ray to my collection during the next sale.