Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Slackerish posted:

Really? What are some other scenes cut out?

Please say they at least had the restaurant bombing, that scene ruled.

Really, you can't fathom just how bad the whole thing is. The scene you refer to is edited almost out of existence; the bombing outside the TV shop looks victimless; when DeNiro is asked why he does it, instead of whistling and ignoring the question, a badly dubbed voice explains, in stultifying detail, exactly why he does it and spells out the moral of the film; the whole subplot about bringing the receipt to the wife is gone (in fact, I think almost every mention of Buttle or whatever that guy's name was is gone entirely)...it really boggles the mind. It's fascinating to watch, but far from good.

Once you've seen it, you owe it to yourself to watch the documentary on disc two called "The Battle over Brazil". GREAT look at what happened and why.

Better description of the changes, spoilered for those who haven't seen it:

The IMDb posted:

* When the ministry building is blown up the piece of paper that is shown is a 'deleted' form for Harry Tuttle.
* There is lots of added dialogue (sometimes with peoples backs to camera, others more obvious) making it more clear about the existence of terrorists, and Tuttles involvement.
* The explosion at the restaurant opens the film and has none of the dialogue leading up to it, beginning only with Shirley offering Sam the salt.
* Extended, more romantic dialogue between Sam and Jill after Tuttle switches the sewage and air pipes at Sam's flat.
* You don't see the guard on fire when the Police vehicle crashes during the chase.
* It is never stated that Buttle is dead, only asked by his wife.
* Lots of the swearing was replaced with tamer dialogue, often very badly.
* The scene between Jill and Sam described above is included. Afterwards, only Sam is captured. Jill is not killed.
* The film ends with a brief sequence where Jill wakes Sam in their country hideaway. Sam says "I don't dream anymore," looks at a picture on the wall of himself wearing the dream-sequence wings, and the film ends with them flying up into the heavens.
* Many of the fantasy sequences are missing, or slightly different.
* After Sam blows up the Ministry of Information, a piece of paper flutters down. It's got a wanted message for Sam on it.
* Extended dialogue between Jill and Sam outside his apartment, and while in the truck.
* Extended dialogue in the scene where Sam meets Jack at Information Retrieval, and Jack has his daughter in his office.
* A cut of Casablanca featuring the line "Here's lookin' at you, kid." Right after Sam leaves Kurtzmann's office.
* Jack says "You look like you've seen a ghost, Sam..." to Sam at the entrance of the Ministry of Records when Sam sees Jill Layton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

Wow, that cover is pretty slick looking. Very cool--like you said, a bit out of nowhere, but I think a Criterion Mamet is long overdue.

Now you have me wondering about #400...

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Slackerish posted:

I'm thinking Do the Right Thing and Knife in the Water. Any comments on either of these?

Do the Right Thing is outstanding. Here's what I wrote about it when I first saw it:

quote:

Outstanding early work by Spike Lee. I guess this was before Lee became as strident and as preachy as he tends to be now; this is a warm, affectionate portrayal of a New York neighborhood during a very hot day--the happiness of which makes the ending to come all the more powerful and devastating. The performances throughout are wonderful, and Lee shows himself capable of creating some rich, layered characters, and capable of sweet moments I wouldn't have expected (the scenes between Da Mayor and Mother Sister were wonderful). This is far better than I expected it to be, and among the best looks at American race relations I've seen, even almost twenty years later. With its great sense of place and an ending so powerful, it's hard not to view this as a masterpiece, plain and simple.

Not a bit of that has changed since I wrote it, and in fact, I think even more highly of it the more I think about it. It's really a superb piece of filmmaking.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Of any Fincher movies to get Criterion, it's sad that they picked his weakest effort. The 2-discs of Fight Club and Se7en are pretty flawless, so they don't need much more - is the two-disc Zodiac as good as that film dseserves?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

The Game needs a good release.

Ooh, good call - it's the only one of his films that hasn't gotten the super-deluxe treatment yet. And it's pretty awesome, in my opinion.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Amazon is offering customers the chance to vote on a title for Criterion to release on Blu-Ray later this year. The choices are:

Au Revoir Les Enfants
Down By Law
Howards End
Kwaidan
Picnic at Hanging Rock

For me, the easy choice was Picnic at Hanging Rock... but Kwaidan would be nice too.

I love Picnic, but Kwaidan in Blu-Ray is a no-brainer for me. That movie is beautiful already.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Che is one of the most visually stunning films I've seen in theaters - it really sold me on the Red. I hope and pray it gets a Blu-Ray - just based off of the print, it could be a standard setter.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

Is it any good? I haven't liked any of Soderbergh's movies for years.

I loved it. It's different; very slow, very non-plot-driven, in some ways. It's not for all tastes, but I found it fascinating the way it established Che's character almost entirely through actions. The juxtaposition between the two halves is fascinating, too; the first is Che on the way up, the second on the way to his death.

I can't say if you'd like it or not, just because it's not a typical film in any way. I can say that a friend went with me to see it, and he's lukewarm on Soderbergh, and came out loving it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FWIW, the sale lasts until 8/3, according to the guy I talked to today. So take your time, but stock up.

My haul: Videodrome, Dazed and Confused, The Hit, Ace in the Hole, and Chungking Express on blu-ray. Wanted High and Low, but was told it wasn't included in the list; still eying Seven Samurai and M, since I have the old one-disc versions.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I have never heard of or seen this movie, but I am SO buying this shirt:
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/69

Dude, Hausu is the epitome of :psyboom:.

EDIT: My attempt to explain it:

quote:

There is no possible way that a conventional review of Hausu would do it any justice. The best thing I can tell you is to go watch this clip (:nws: for all sorts of insanity), and then understand this: you would think that seeing that clip in context, and with subtitles, might make it make a little more sense. Sure, it would still be weird, but less so. Here's the miraculous, bizarre thing about Hausu: having seen the film, that clip makes less sense than before. I know that that statement defies all logic, but so does basically everything else about Hausu. Ostensibly a tale about a haunted house, Hausu takes seven Japanese schoolgirls identified only by their primary (and only) characteristics (from "Kung-Fu" to "Gorgeous") and turns them loose in a film that feels as though someone gave Evil Dead 2-era Sam Raimi acid and told him to film what he saw. Even telling you that the film features dancing skeletons, man-eating pianos, disembodied legs, a laughing watermelon, and a singing cat really can't convey how truly bizarre this all is. And none of that has even touched on the filming style, containing irises, dropped frames, and other moves used with no conceivable sense of purpose or reason. Look: I know that, being the film geek among my friends, a lot of people think I watch "weird" movies. So take that into account when you read the following sentence: Hausu is easily the weirdest loving thing I've ever seen in my life. Rating it on a conventional scale would be pointless; suffice to say, it's the type of film made for midnight films, and if it comes around you, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 11, 2009

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I've read a lot of praise for Hausu, but this is the first I've seen any of it. loving sold. I'm gonna see this as soon as I can.

I can't wait to see your thoughts on it. It's completely insane, and I loved every second of it.

EDIT: Janus has some theatrical dates posted:

quote:

Note: House will continue to tour through 2010, and new dates are added as they are confirmed. To inquire about a booking, or suggest a venue, contact booking@janusfilms.com.

October 28
Boulder, CO - International Film Series

October 29
Calgary, AB - The Plaza Theatre

October 29 - October 31
San Rafael, CA - Smith Rafael Film Center

October 31
Brooklyn, NY - BAMcinématek

November 18
Cleveland, OH - Cleveland Museum of Art

November 27 - December 3
Seattle, WA - Central Cinema

December 12
Rochester, NY - George Eastman House

December 18 & 19
Denver, CO - Denver Film Society

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 11, 2009

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Noxville posted:

I got the UK Masters of Cinema release of House recently based purely on the YouTube clip that was posted earleir this thread, it's basically insane. I love how it's completely aware of it's artificiality and how the director will try more or less anything to see what results.

From some discussions at the Belcourt, it seems like Criterion is working on the DVD.

Here's a cool detail: the midnight showing I went to of House last summer? Apparently it was a trial balloon to see how well the movie might do if they struck a new print. The screenings did so well that they made the new print, started some of the touring, and began work on the DVD.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Well, Annie Hall isn't even freaking anamorphic.

Not to mention the subtitle fuckup.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

I almost want to buy Hausu twice, once on BR for me and once on DVD to lend to people. No one I know owns a BR player, and the idea of sharing Hausu is almost required.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Wall Street (gecko/Gekko) on Blu-Ray? That's all I've got.

Dang. I was hoping some had this one figured. The file name is "wackylizardman", which doesn't really help much. I don't think it's anything as obvious as Fear and Loathing, but that would be a no-brainer, considering how well the DVD sells.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Army of Shadows (Blu)

:woop::dance::woop:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Eclipse: Basil Dearden's London Underground (Sapphire, The League of Gentlemen, Victim, All Night Long)

Worth a look anyway. League of Gentlemen is fun, haven't seen the others yet.

Victim is pretty fascinating and surprisingly ahead of its time.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Kuroneko would make sense, with the recently restored print making the rounds. And it's so damned good. I hope it's that one, just so more people can see it.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh my god! No art yet but holy poo poo:

#560 - The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover

Director-approved digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Sacha Vierny
Audio commentary featuring director Peter Greenaway
New video conversation between Greenaway and the film’s score composer Michael Nyman
Deleted scenes
Featurette from 1989 including interviews with Greenaway, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren, and other cast members
Theatrical trailer
PLUS: An order form for this really neat bridge you can buy

That was just mean. I come back to the thread and there are a bunch of new posts, and I see this, and I totally understand...and then I get to the "PLUS".

Jerk.

:cry:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sacha Vierny's being dead didn't tip you off? :rolleyes:

No. I didn't recognize the name offhand. Do I have to turn in my film fan card? I just got it laminated... :(

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

As someone who thought Le Samourai and Army of Shadows were absolutely awesome, would Le Cercle Rouge be a good Melville for me?

I'm not familiar at all with Blow Out, but that's a great cover.
Personally, I thought Cercle was amazing, but it's closer to Rififi than it is to either of the two you mentioned - it's essentially a heist/crime pic (though you'll find it's closer to Shadows than Samourai, as it's more about a group of hard men on a mission than it is a loner). In general, I thought it was excellent, but then again, I have yet to find a Melville I didn't love (Shadows may be his best, though).

As for Blow Out...meh. I tend to find De Palma derivative and dull, and this was no exception.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Kiss Me Deadly - Wasn't crazy about it the first time I saw it, but that was before I caught the noir bug. On the fence between buy and rental.

I think it's pretty deeply flawed and wears its low budget pretty poorly. That being said, that final 5-10 minutes forgives a lot of sins for me.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

That is a really awesome cover.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

bmmello posted:

That must be The Killing.

I feel stupid. I've seen The Killing a couple of times. But how on earth does that clue fit the movie?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

It's been a few years since I've seen it, but IIRC in the final scene at the airport, the briefcase full of money gets knocked over by a little white dog and the bills fly all over the runway. Something like that.
:doh: Of course. Thanks.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Crackpipe posted:

Side note: White subtitles on B&W footage are always, always, always a terrible idea. I don't give a poo poo if people whine that yellow "doesn't fit". YOU CAN READ IT.

Jesus, yes. This seems to be a huge trend in theatrical prints of almost any foreign film, and they always blur in. I don't understand why, if you really feel that dedicated to white fonts, you wouldn't add a black stroke around them just to make them stand out and be readable.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Sweet! I'm pretty excited about Kuroneko - I saw that last year and was absolutely blown away by it. Glad more people will get to see it now.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Never mind... it turned out to be a shot from Hollis Frampton's Winter Solstice.

Tease. :mad:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

I'm assuming the marionette is Being John Malkovich? I was thinking we'd already heard those rumors for a bit.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

According to Spike Lee's Twitter feed, they are also working on 25th Hour, which is great - that's a film that deserves its second life it seems to gradually be getting from critics.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Does anyone have any thoughts on the clue in the newsletter?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Polanski's Macbeth (most likely)

:aaaaa: No loving way. That would kick so much rear end. Is that guesswork or something known to be in the works?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Starscream posted:

When Horror Came to Shochiku.
I was hoping this one was good. I blind bought it - which I never do - simply because it sounded fantastic. Haven't gotten to watch any yet.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Eraserhead is a must-buy for me. Been waiting for it forever.

The Innocents, Sundays and Cybele and Fear Eats the Soul are all terrific movies. But I don't need to own them, especially since I'm trying to curb my spending.

Never seen Polanski's Macbeth.

I'm a big Shakespeare guy, and I love Polanski's Macbeth. It's a bloody, grim, stark version of the play, but given that the play is so violent and bleak, it fits perfectly. The one scene that I think doesn't work for me is the 3 visions, but I understand why it's changed - I just love the horror and foreshadowing of the play.

Also, Polanski's movie features a fantastic original epilogue that fits the play's violent world all too well.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

zandert33 posted:

Of important note, this is finally the extended cut of the movie, which Criterion had not included in the previous release.

Is there another story that was cut or just some edits?

Also, am I wrong, or is it still only going to be DVD and not BR? That's a bummer if so. That movie would be even better in BR - it's a knockout, visually.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

zandert33 posted:

Looks like both BR and DVD.

To be honest, I've only seen the extended cut from an import DVD so I'm not sure the exact differences. If I'm not mistaken it still has the same 4 stories, but the movie is 20 minutes longer.

Ah - looked like only DVD when I browsed the site on my phone. I guess it's because they were showing what was current, not what was coming. Kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Is there another film or series you might be able to compare it to? I'd love to get into Ray but the Apu Trilogy isn't on Hulu and I'm hesitant to spent that kind of money on a blind-buy. I feel like it would be weird to watch Ray's other stuff without seeing the Apu trilogy, but feel free to correct me on that one.

The first one I saw was The Music Room and I was blown away by it. The Apu Trilogy is incredible and moved me utterly, but you could start with The Music Room and be just fine. And it's available on its own.