Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

For those of you looking to save a quick buck...

During the month of October, if you check out using GoogleCheckout, you get $10 off any $30 purchase.

So, place a second tier Criterion in your Cart at Dvdempire.com, click google checkout, follow the steps and viola, two-disc Criterions are $20.03.

This deal works on buy.com as well, where you'll be able to grab Seven Samurai at right around $23.

There doesnt seem to be any limit on how many orders you can place either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Deathwind posted:

I just tried this, and the Google Checkout button is greyed out with the message
:smith:

I didn't realize then, but it's out of stock, once it gets back in stock it should work fine. The sale only works with currently in-stock items.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Goddamnit, why haven't I been getting my newsletter?

Five early Bergmans, huh? Here's what I'd guess:

Sawdust and Tinsel
Summer with Monika
Summer Interlude
To Joy

5th one is a wild card... it'd be nice if it was one of the ones I haven't seen yet though.

Those were my first guesses as well. R2 somewhat recently got dvds of Prison and Music in Darkness though, so that may be some indicator.

I am SO excited for this. For Christmas I'm getting Ingmar Bergman: A Reference Guide by Birgitta Steene, I'm really looking forward to checking that out.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Click

Criterion's one-sheet for the Bergman box. It's got the individual covers on there. I really like the simple design and I hope they keep it consistent for the whole Eclipse line.

drat, those do look super good, they feel classy in a way. I'm so excited.

I just ordered Jules and Jim yesterday, I hope it's as good as it looks; I loved The 400 Blows and really enjoyed Shoot the Piano Player.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

vertov posted:

Criterion offered me an interview for a position today, but I had to turn it down. Stupid graduate school :( Anyway, I tried begging them to release some Oshima and Yoshida. No, I don't have any shame.

This may be slightly personal, but where do you live and how did all of this come about?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh god what to buy. I'm gonna limit myself to one; I could buy Le Notti bianche (which I've seen and love), or go with something I haven't (namely Bicycle Thieves, Yojimbo, Au hasard Balthazar, or Band of Outsiders). Bah.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I just spent a bunch on that Best Buy sale/glitch or whatever it was this week, so I'm going to try and hold back on this sale.

It's funny though because just yesterday I was thinking to myself, "Isn't there usually a 40% off Criterion sale in February? Guess they didnt bother this time around."

I'm torn between a few titles; I'm leaning towards Mouchette (or maybe Pickpocket), or Bicycle Thieves, possibly Beauty and the Beast, or Videodrome, or Viridiana... I really want to see Secret Honor, but I don't know. Spirit of the Beehive, maybe? I think the main contendors right now are Mouchette, Bicycle Thieves, and Spirit of the Beehive.

The sad thing is I'll go on like this for days until I finally come to a fairly impulsive decision.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I ordered a few things in the sale: Rififi, Beauty and the Beast, and the Monsters and Madmen set. By spreading out the orders and using two google checkout ten dollar off bonuses, the total came to $69.91. Pretty darn good, considering on amazon the Monsters and Madmen set is going for $68.99 on it's own.

Anyway, I'm considering one more order, I've been contemplating that Olivier's Shakespeare box set. I really love Shakespeare work but I haven't seen any of these films, so I really don't know. Fires on a Plain sounds pretty interesting as well.

I also can't decide if I should pre-order the Early Bergman box set from Eclipse. The local Fry's usually gets Criterion stuff the day it comes out, but I'm worried it will be way more expensive than the pre-order; on the other hand, I don't want to wait six years for the pre-order to come. The last title I pre-ordered was The Virgin Spring from DVDPlanet and it didn't get to me until three weeks after the release date.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

LaptopGun posted:

So yeah, this is a long winded go ahead and buy it.

Wow, thank you for doing all of that, I really appreciate that.

I went ahead and ordered the Shakespeare set and then borrowed my friend's credit card to order Spirit of the Beehive for $16.79 after shipping, because that one seems so interesting.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Ohhhhhhhhh I'm so excited for Les Enfants Terribles. I've been looking forward to that one for a long time, so this news is awesome.

I don't really know anything about Ivan's Childhood, but Tarkovsky and that cover may entice me into the blind buy.

In non related news, I just found out that a Janus print of Beauty and the Beast is playing here next Sunday, I can not wait. I actually have the disc, but haven't had time to watch it yet, so I bet seeing it on 35mm is going to be amazing.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't see this mentioned here (maybe I missed it?) but just in case:

Both deepdiscount.com and dvdplanet.com are currently doing 20% off sales. They both end on the 17th I believe.

If you use DVDPlanet for Criterion/Eclipse stuff, then the pricing structure becomes:

$29.99 titles: $15.58
$39.99 titles: $20.78
$49.99 titles: $25.98
$99.99 titles: $51.97

If you're interested in it, the new Eclipse set "Late Ozu" is going for $36.38 shipped.

For DVDPlanet enter the reusable code: "20OFFSALE" at the checkout screen to get the discount; at DeepDiscount enter the code "dvdtalk", or "supersale", or "nytimes".

I ordered way, way, way too much stuff.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I'm going crazy, Criterion had been more exciting than usual lately. There's just been so much good stuff coming out, all this stuff I've been waiting what feels like forever for.

I mean...
The Milky Way
Ivan's Childhood
La Jetée / Sans Soleil
Stranger than Paradise
Les Enfants Terribles
Breathless
Drunken Angel
Sawdust and Tinsel

And that doesn't even include the Eclipse label. It's so hard picking and choosing what to buy with my limited funds these days.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I want to post too! Also, Stranger than Paradise shipped a few days ago, hopefully that will be here soon.

400 Blows
8 1/2
Adventures of Antoine Doinel set
Army of Shadows
Au Hasard Balthazar
Bad Sleep Well
Beauty and the Beast
Bicycle Thieves
Bob le Flambeur
Boudu Saved from Drowning
By Brakhage: An Anthology
Cercle Rouge, Le
Chasing Amy
Complete Mr. Arkadin
Do the Right Thing
F for Fake
Heaven Can Wait
Ivan's Childhood
Jules and Jim
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Knife in the Water
Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Man Who Fell to Earth
Milky Way, The
Monsters and Madmen set
Olivier's Shakespeare
Overlord
Pickpocket
Playtime
Ran
Rififi
Royal Tenenbaums, The
Rules of the Game, The
Rushmore
Samourai, Le
Shoot the Piano Player
Slacker
Spirit of the Beehive
Sword of Doom, The
Symbiopyschotaxiplasm
Third Man, the (reissue)
Videodrome

Then, from Eclipse I have:

1 - Early Bergman
2 - Documentaries of Louis Malle
3 - Late Ozu
4 - Raymond Bernard

(I need to pick up the Samuel Fuller one when I have money again)

And finally, the Bergman stuff gets it's own list:

Autumn Sonata
Cries & Whispers
Early Bergman
Fanny and Alexander
Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman, A
Magic Flute, The
Scenes from a Marriage
Seventh Seal, The
Smiles of a Summer Night
Virgin Spring, The
Wild Strawberries

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I found this from dvdtalk's sale forum, Amazon has some ridiculous prices right now. I don't know if they're mistakes or a deal or what but, just in case, strike while they're hot...

An Angel at My Table -14.40
Border Radio - $14.40
Canterbury Tale, A - 14.40
Equinox - 14.00
Flowers of St. Francis - $10.80
Green for Danger - 14.00
Jigoku - 10.00
Monsters and Madmen - $28.80
The Beales of Grey Gardens - $14.99
When a Woman Ascends The Stairs - 14.40

I couldn't pass up When a Woman Ascends the Stairs and The Flowers of St. Francis; after I get my paycheck on Sunday I may go back for more if it's still running.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Confirmation of Bottle Rocket

Oh man, this is so exciting. Something about Bottle Rocket connected with me over the summer and I watched it nearly two times a week for most of the summer. I worked at blockbuster at the time, so I could rent it every week for free, this news makes me feel much better about never buying it.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I'm really excited about Miss Julie, I've been looking forward to seeing that one for some time and for more or less the same reasons you mentioned. I like that cover too.

I haven't seen any of the Varda stuff, but I get the impression I would enjoy it so I'm definitely looking forward to that box as well.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently the next sale starts on Friday, people have been getting post cards that say:

"Save an additional 20% Off from 11/09/07 - 11/25/07 with Promo Code DD1109."

I'm mostly holding off for dvdplanet to mirror the sale; hopefully I'll have some self control this time and not spend ridiculous amounts of money.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Going to Borders' later to buy Scenes from a Marriage. I wish I had the money to justify buying the TV edition of Fanny and Alexander as well. :(

As Villainous_Fonda said, save for it. It's undeniably worth it. I watched the full television cut first and then the theatric release cut to see how they both felt; I was shocked to find most, if not all, of my absolute favorite scenes and some of the most touching moments were gone. I almost wish I had never watched it, as the television cut is so meaningful to me.

Anyway, I just picked up Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales off amazon when it was on sale the other day with a giftcard and it arrived today. I definitely cant wait to check it out in a few weeks.

Also, semi-related, have any of you seen Last Year at Marienbad? What'd you think? I've been oddly obsessed with it for a few years and now Rialto is touring a new print (which normally leads to a Criterion edition) around. The closest place its playing is four hours away, but I'm definitely going to drive down to check it out. I'm really excited for it, I was just curious what you guys thought about it.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Oh my god, my little heart just exploded. Talk about the best line up of all time for a company entering the blu-ray market.

Also, I found it very interesting that it said they'll be "priced to match" the regular dvd sets.

My god, this is going to break the bank...

Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth (!!!!!)
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind

...heart explodes.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Cacator posted:

And is Army of Shadows as good as everyone says it is? I own the first three Melvilles in the collection.

Short answer: yes. I own all the Melvilles and am enamored with it. I definitely think its one of the strongest dvds in my collection: awesome transfer, great extras, good packaging, etc...

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Two more Melville's. I just squealed.

FitFortDanga posted:

And where's the info on the Blu-Rays? Bah!

Man, you said it. I was definitely expecting to see something in this months release about them.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Are there any good resources/places to find Criterion DVD's that are no longer in print besides scouring ebay? I suppose this is kind of a dumb question considering that most people who have many of the very sought after Criterion DVD's won't be giving them up, but I am looking for a few titles and have had a hell of a time figuring out any other way to get them. Am I screwed?

It kind of depends on what you're looking for.

If you have any Movie Trading Co's nearby, sometimes you can get lucky. I've seen Robocop a few times and recently I found a copy of Silence of the Lambs (for $14). Beyond that, I haven't had much luck.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

RaydaArab posted:

Has anyone order either Harakiri or Cries and Whispers from that DeepDiscount sale? Both are still on backorder.

None of my orders have shipped yet either, which includes:
4 by Agnes Varda, Mafioso, Mouchette, Rebel Samurai, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and That Obscure Object of Desire.

I'm not in too terribly big of a hurry, but it would be nice if they came in the next week or two.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

The fact that people in this thread are hating on Au Hasard Balthazar and Viridiana is depressing :(.

In other news, all of my orders finally shipped yesterday, so thats exciting. It looks like they'll arrive just in time for my birthday, which is cool.

And for those on the fence between a PS3 and a standalone Blu-ray player...
Criterion use a PS3.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

This is only semi-Criterion related but I figured this was the best place to post this. I took a bunch of these postcards when I went to a screening of the restored Beauty and the Beast print a few years ago and just finally got around to scanning one of them. I scanned this one because it was my favorite but there's also Spirit of the Beehive, La Strada, and maybeIvan the Terrible (I can't remember). If anybody wants those I can scan them next week.

This was right before that huge box set came out, so I guess they made them to promote it. We got a new scanner at work that scans in awesome resolutions, so I thought it would be cool to scan this. The scanner kept cropping them for some reason (still trying to figure out how to work it) so the first one isn't quite as big as it could be and the second one is slightly cropped, sorry!

Front:

Click here for the full 1595x1304 image.

Back:

Click here for the full 1693x1097 image.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, this website stuff is crazy. I'm familiar with The Auteurs but it's still pretty overwhelming.

Also, my Brand Upon Brain! dvd came today with a sticker that said "DIRECTOR APPROVED (Ang Lee) Edition" on it. hehe.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Nights of Cabiria is now out of print. Pick up this amazing movie while you have the chance.

poo poo. Do you think it's going to be one of those "easy to find even though it's out of print" or one of those "buy that poo poo asap"?

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo!

Best month ever!

I've been waiting for Last Year... for awhile, coupled with the Seventh Seal blu-ray, dear lord.

:fap: :fap: :fap:

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

At first I thought I somehow fell asleep for 2 weeks and woke up on April 1st. Totally out of left field. Oh well, it'll make 'em some cash.

This was pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't mind the simplicity of the cover art, however, I doubt it's final as it doesn't list Fincher's name anywhere on it. But I dont know, this is definitely pretty random.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Playtime on Blu-Ray - OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. All over this.

Holy poo poo, me too. This is crazy timing, I voted for Picnic at Hanging Rock in that Amazon vote but also wrote in a vote for Playtime. I then proceeded to complain to all of my friends about how badly Playtime needed to come to blu-ray. It comes out the week before my birthday too, which is awesome.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Those of you interested in checking out Che early, I saw it on the shelves of blockbuster a week or so ago in separate Part 1 and Part 2 editions with big "blockbuster exclusive!" banners on it.

I saw the roadshow version when it came through town, pretty epic stuff. I would be very interested in seeing a Criterion blu-ray of it, the film definitely deserves SOME sort of recognition.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

A great overlooked one is Symbiopsychotaxiplasm.

Seconded.

Also, did my ps3 just die? seriously? It won't turn on, blinks red lights. A google search confirms the obvious. It must have seen the box by the door that had my Last Year at Marienbad blu-ray in it. Excuse me, I have veins to open now.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Macrame_God posted:

Did you recently switch out the TV you were using? Sometimes the PS3 shits itself when you change TVs that have different HD resolutions and you have to boot it up the hard way.

No, nothing has changed, although I have experienced that before. When I try to turn it on it starts blinking a red light and nothing else happens. :(

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

poo poo. I've tried like hell to hold off, but I've finally given in to bn.com sale.

Thusfar I've ordered The Orphic Trilogy and The Last Metro BD, which total came to like $48 or something ridiculous. Probably going to order Science is Fiction and The Earrings of Madame de... next. Considering The 400 Blows BD too even though I own like three copies of the dvd already. Decisions, decisions.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

This is the one title where I've broken my "if it's worth owning, it's worth owning on Blu-Ray" rule. There's no way in hell I'm getting rid of the Doinel box (until they release the whole thing on BR) and I don't like having multiple copies of any movie. Even at a steal of a price, I just hate "clutter" in my collection.

Yeah I definitely can agree with that. I just question how long it will be until they rerelease the entire set, you know.

I'm trying to figure out the best scheme to order the Repulsion BD next, I think.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Bambi posted:

You can't really go wrong with 50% off + extra 20% off + free expedited shipping + extra 10% off (for members)

With my B&N membership it's something like $15 shipped per movie. Repulsion here i come!

How'd you get the extra 20% off on a pre-order? I couldn't get that work.I'm not a member, so I'm averaging just around $16.44, which is totally cool with me.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Good call, Bambi. Apparently the 20% off coupons P3N9L8M and V7P9T8N expire at 2:59 am Eastern time, meaning if you want to order the BD of Repulsion, you have about an hour left to stack this discount on top of it it.

I just ordered it through the visa link, with the coupon; total with tax came to $16.44. hot. drat.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I'm kind of torn on how to buy Playtime actually.

On the one hand, I have $20 in credit at dvdplanet.
On another hand, I have $30 in giftcards to best buy.

On every hand, I need it to be here before August 26th, which is my birthday, because I'm trying to work out showing it at a local theatre for some of my friends, projected through an insane Sony 4k projector.

I'm starting to think my safest bet is doing an amazon prime trial and ordering it from them, but I'm still not convinced about that one either.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

LightsGameraAction posted:

Wow, your best buy actually stocks criterions? All the ones around me only stock the more well known recent stuff like Benjamin Button and Life Aquatic.

My best buy has a few criterions but not many; it'd be a mighty gamble on whether or not they'd get it in store. I may see if I can do ship-to-store or something funny like that, but I'm still just not quite sure.

Also, can't wait for Modern Times and City Lights.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Alright, aesthetics question for you guys who are surely as ocd as I am...

I bought a new bookshelf today and reorganized my Criterion section, as you can see here:

http://www.gamersrage.com/taso/criterion.jpg

Do you guys think I should move the Bergman dvd/vhs stuff to be down by the two Bergman books, or leave them up top (where they rightfully belong :colbert:)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I had a hell of a time deciding where to put the MGM box. My shelving situation is kind of hosed up, so right now it's currently sandwiched between Magic Flute and Autumn Sonata because that's where it fit the best. But now I think I'll move it to the end like you did.

How's that Faithless disc? I'm not too fond of the movie, but as a Bergman guy I'm starting to think I should own it.

Haha yeah, I debate the Saraband spot in my head as well. In the end, I like it better coupled with Scenes... more than hanging out with Faithless at the end of the MGM box.

I actually haven't watched Faithless yet; I think I'm going to do a Bergman marathon in a month or so and plow through everything chronologically and end with that. I seem to recall getting the disc for like $8 or something in a sale, so I figured it I might as well pick it up.

Also, I really don't see the point in spine-number order. If I had nearly every single release I would consider it, but otherwise, who cares what order they came out in? In my head it's more logical to scan by director. That said, excluding Early Bergman I do the Eclipse sets on another shelf by the series number.