Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Chronological order, by purchase date. That's the system the film archive I moonlight at uses, and it's impressive as hell when you can retrieve a disc on request, having only memorized where anything/everything is by context-memory and general release date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Macrame_God posted:

Also, I just want to mention that I just saw Repulsion for the first time and it blew me away. It's hard to believe that a movie like that was made in 1965.

Echoing this, I just watched it last night and was legitimately freaked out, which never happens. Looks absolutely gorgeous on Blu-ray, too.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
The Lincoln Center B&N in NYC has the best assortment and quantity of Criterion discs on the whole, but I haven't been there this week to see how hard they've been hit; Union Square is running fairly low on Blu-ray titles, but they're pretty good about restocking, otherwise.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Broadcast News, maybe?

nice edit~

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This thread is terrible whenever there's a sale. I mean, I know that we are all talking about a vanity label that makes a consumer product, but even still it gets way too object fetishistic. Can y'all at least say something about the movie so there's some sort of indication you at least took it out of the plastic?

You've posted this exact thing so many times by now that I don't think a sale would feel complete without it, but give it a break already. This type of behavior is no different than the selfsame number of posts in the Blu-ray megathread every Tuesday.

I rather enjoy seeing what titles people are spending their money on - given the breadth of Criterion's catalog it's a nice way for people to be reminded of back titles that they may have missed, or new titles that they're unsure about. People naming their purchases in this thread more often than not leads to other people having valid discussions or recommendations of the title(s) in question, so all you're doing by complaining each and every single time is making yourself out to be a troll.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

caiman posted:

Since I don't have a Blu-ray player or HDTV but plan to eventually, I'm currently avoiding purchasing DVDs that are also available on Blu-ray (I want to avoid double dipping as much as possible). I do, however, I want to take advantage of this sale so I need some recommendations for the best Criterions that don't have BD counterparts. Thanks.

Considering that's a tremendous amount to recommend, what kind of stuff do you generally enjoy watching to the point that you want to own it?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Under the Volcano, Last Days of Disco, Kicking and Screaming, Jeanne Dielman..., La Ronde

I tend not to buy a tremendous amount of Criterion titles since I have such open and easy access to the full catalog, but the above five are ones some of the few that I enjoy enough to own a personal copy, and tend to be pretty good crowd-pleasers especially for people who haven't heard of them before~

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
I originally had put "most of them tend to be crowd-pleasers" with specifically Jeanne Dielman in mind as the one movie that I wouldn't exactly invite people over to watch, but the rest are pretty great. Your milage may vary, I hang out with a lot of people who would love to host a Jeanne Dielman Night.

Movie-watching, button-sewing and cutlets all night long, yes please!

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 15, 2010

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
In addition to the already stated reasons why laser-discs are great fun, "modern" players eliminate the need for disc-flipping by having lasers on both sides of the carriage, so you can enjoy your giant gaudy playback with only minimal inconvenience!

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Macrame_God posted:

. . .but there is no way I can, in good [conscience], recommend the film Salo to anyone.

As Post-It notes around the Criterion offices during the restoration of the film aptly pointed out:

"It's just chocolate pudding."

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Notorious.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Though it is mentioned on that "scary movies" collection page, I just want to stress that Kwaidan is a great place to start, especially if you're working around a viewing where people are bound to drift in and out.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Subtitles are done out of house, don't expect them to match up to visual standards anytime soon.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
On the one hand, I cannot believe how terrible the cover for Tiny Furniture is. On the other hand, what better image to brand a piece of self-indulgent hipster garbage?

Kudos, Criterion. Kudos.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Mmm, Salò.

Just remember, it's only chocolate pudding.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I hate Zorn's Lemma, but (nostalgia) and Poetic Justice are really cool experimental works. I'm annoyed that they didn't put out the whole Hapax Legomena series though, was hoping to watch the ones that aren't available anywhere. I'm also really curious how "Audio commentary and remarks by filmmaker Hollis Frampton on selected works" will work seeing as the guy died in 1984.

There's a ton of extant audio material from Frampton at both the Harvard Film Archive as well as at Anthology Film Archives, so it's not like they were at any serious disadvantage in compiling those commentaries.

As to why the whole Hapax saga isn't on there, I'm not 100% on the details, but I know Anthology just bankrolled a massive restoration of all of them in tandem with NYU, so it may not have been financially responsible to include/buy the rights to distribute them, or go to the trouble of their own restorations when those are already available. Beats me.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Any Preston Sturges is worth owning, and Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve are two out of his three best (the third, Miracle on Morgan's Creek, is ludicrously out of print). They're just clever and fun as hell.

My post-PhD writing on the use and abuse of alcohol as a creative mechanism in the work of Orson Welles, John Hughes, and Preston Sturges may likely never see the light of day, but let me be the first to tell you that Sturges is very, very, very good at what he does and you should watch as many of his movies as you can.

And then also read his biographies to find out just how exactly hosed up he was at any given moment while crafting said gems of cinematic history.

Orson and John put him to shame, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Wow, I super fuckin' freudian slipped there, I meant John Huston, not Hughes, although Hughes features heavily later in other my work on the role of pre-legal drinking in films of the 80s and 90s.

My bad, watch em all.

edit: especially Weird Science (whoo)

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 12, 2020