Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just got the new Seven Samurai yesterday, and Netflix sent me Tokyo Drifter, so I'll watch one or the other tonight, probably the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Some nice looking releases coming up. I'm still waiting on an announcement for Army of Shadows.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

nodadchad posted:

Saw this in the theatrical re-release and it looked spectacular. What a great movie, just one notch below Le Cercle Rouge.

Lucky bastard. :mad: I live in some no-name town in Kansas so no such luck for me. I love Le Samourai and Le Cercle rouge, though, and would put Bob le flambeur just barely behind those two. I also want to see Le doulos.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If Criterion were to release 12 Angry Men I'd have to buy new underwear. Oh, the thought is so tantalizing...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

Criterion Newsletter: "Eight million stories. And we've got one of 'em."

Searching for quotes on IMDB, it'll be Jules Dassin's The Naked City.

Hell yes! I haven't yet seen The Naked City, but Rififi and Night and the City are both great noirs, and Thieves' Highway is very good as well.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

vertov posted:

Your avatar is amazing.

Aha, I didn't even notice that until now..."Hot dog, hurf's a-winnin'!" What a great movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Bicycle Thieves, hell yes! I'm interested in 49th Parallel as well.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm definitely happy about this. I'm not a big special features guy, and even though they won't be "full Criterion restorations," Criterion isn't the type of company to release even a poor transfer. They'll probably be very good compared to everything else. Plus it'll save me some money.

Also: Under the Volcano has interested me for a while, so that's good to hear.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 15, 2006

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Fires on the Plain looks like something I'd like...but HELL YES MOTHERFUCKING The Naked City.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
My Dinner with Andre

quote:

NOTE: This is often regarded by DVD-ophiles as the worst commercial transfer ever put to digital. Unfortunately, it is also the only release on DVD of this film and it continues to fetch prices above $100 in online auctions.

Matt Lipson from Criterion has confirmed that they own the rights and are planning to release it in the near future.

Pardon me while I do backflips in my living room. :dance: I've wanted to see this one forever.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
April Releases

Brute Force, hell yeah. :dance:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
A 15 1/2 hour film on Criterion? That's gonna run a pretty penny...that's, what, five discs for the film alone?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Holy poo poo. I was in a lovely mood today, but this...this...

Army of Shadows? The Third Man reissue? A release of If...? And another Mizoguchi that I'm interested in?

OVERLOAD OF loving AWESOME

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also, both Le doulos and Last Year at Marienbad are listed as future releases on Rialto's site, so those are likely future Criterions, which would kick serious rear end.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

Looks like Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole will be a Criterion, too (according to a "hint" on Home Theater Forum).

:aaa:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

vertov posted:

They also seem to be asking for submissions for other eclipse titles. Is anyone planning on emailing them anything? I have a few ideas, although I doubt that they would be interested in any of them.

ALL MELVILLE ALL THE TIME

Les Enfants Terribles, Le Silence de la Mer, Le Deuxième souffle all interest me to some extent. I'd add Le Doulos but it looks like that one may get a Criterion.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'd kill for any decent presentation of Satyajit Ray (they have ZERO Indian films in the collection), but mostly I'd like to be exposed to more new stuff, like the Raymond Bernard.

I'd love to see some Ray titles as well. I've been wanting to see the Apu trilogy and The Music Room, for starters, for a while now.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh god what to buy. I'm gonna limit myself to one; I could buy Le Notti bianche (which I've seen and love), or go with something I haven't (namely Bicycle Thieves, Yojimbo, Au hasard Balthazar, or Band of Outsiders). Bah.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I can't speak for the other two, but I'm a big fan of Night and the City. The Naked City (haven't yet seen it, but will as soon as the DVD hits), from everything I hear, has a very documentary-like feel...Night and the City is nothing like that. It's nightmarishly stylized; extremely high-contrast black-and-white, with shadows lurking around every corner and behind every building. It's one of the best looking pictures ever.

I absolutely love film noir, though, so if you're not as big on it as I am, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I finally took a plunge that I've been meaning to for quite some time now and ordered John Cassavetes: Five Films.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I found this on CriterionForum.com:

quote:

A month ago I sent Criterion an e-mail asking if they had planned any Melville titles to release (this is before they announced Army of Shadows.) Anyway, here's the email:

"Dear Martin,

We have a few Melville titles on the schedule at the moment - his brilliant ARMY OF SHADOWS is due out in stores in May, and LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES is due out in July.

Thanks for your interest.

Best regards,
Kim Hendrickson"

:dance:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
June titles:

387 - La Jetée and Sans soleil

388 - The Two of Us

389 - WR: Mysteries of the Organism

390 - Sweet Movie

391 - If...

390 is actually kinda :nws: :raise:

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 16, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

quote:

Dear Bobby,

We are currently working on DRUNKEN ANGEL. Should be in stores late summer.
Thanks for your note.

All best,
Kim Hendrickson

Sweet.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That is one classy looking cover. Makes me wanna blind-buy it.

(I blind buy everything anyway.)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Ordered The Naked City earlier. :)

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Just watched Rififi again (last time I watched it was when I bought it, some 13 months ago), and drat...I'm really in the mood for some more French noir. This and Bob le flambeur have convinced me to buy Quai des Orfèvres and Pépé le Moko when I get paid next.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

-BigEvil- posted:

I've been meaning to pick up Elevator to the Gallows forever. Not really sure why I haven't.

Because you have no loving money.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's a pretty amazing month. Ace in the Hole is the big prize for me, but I also really want to see Woman in the Dunes, Face of Another, Ivan's Childhood, and Les Enfants terribles. Awesome.

EDIT: Pitfall sounds amazing. So yeah every July release looks completely awesome. This may be the best month yet.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 17, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Holy poo poo. I've wanted to see House of Games ever since I read Ebert's review of it, but the current DVD didn't look so hot. I will definitely be grabbing that one. :dance:

EDIT: Also, this is an MGM title...hopefully this is a precursor to more MGM titles getting licensed to Criterion, like 12 Angry Men, Sweet Smell of Success and some Woody Allen flicks.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 16, 2007

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

406:

:crossarms:

That was unexpected.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Nothing too thrilling for me. I was really underwhelmed by Strangers in Paradise, but it's been about 7 years so maybe I'd benefit from a revisit. Robinson Crusoe on Mars might be fun. I didn't think Pandora's Box was especially noteworthy, might not even bother renting Threepenny Opera.

Threepenny Opera is actually the one I'm most interested in, nothing else really caught my eye, though I haven't seen any Jarmusch so maybe if I had I'd be more jazzed up for him. I'll definitely give Robinson Crusoe on Mars a look as well. This is a pretty underwhelming month compared to most of the year, I was really hoping for Under the Volcano.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Og Oggilby posted:

Apparently this is a reference to Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop.

"The Driver and The Mechanic are two car freaks driving a 1955 Chevy throughout the southwestern U.S. looking for other cars to race. They are totally dedicated to The Car and converse with each other only when necessary. At a gas station, The Driver and The Mechanic, along with a girl who has ingratiated herself into their world, meet G.T.O., a middle-aged man who fabricates stories about his exploits. It is decided to have a race to Washington, D.C., where the winner will get the loser's car. Along the way, the race and the highway metaphorically depict the lives of these contestants as they struggle to their destination."

Looks a bit offbeat, interesting anyway.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

NeuroticErotica posted:

YES!

Two-Lane Blacktop has been having a revival of sorts. We had our hands on a print a couple of weeks ago that was so new that it still had the heads and tails on it.

The film is fantastic and I'm glad to see Criterion paying some attention to it.

Just from looking at the movie's IMDb page and poster, I figured you'd be jazzed for this - depending on how much you liked the movie, that is, I certainly assumed you'd seen it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Well I'm a sucker for good photography above all so I'll certainly have to give this a look. And a favorable comparison to Peckinpah doesn't hurt either; I've only seen The Wild Bunch and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia but both are completely awesome. And I really loved Oates in the latter, just a great great character and performance. "You two are definitely on my poo poo list."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Alright! I've been waiting for the announcement of Under the Volcano forever, I was actually gonna pick up the book the other night but the only copy the store had was torn and frayed, so I'll pick it up tonight. Breathless and Days of Heaven are definitely must-sees for me as well. Never even heard of Mala Noche, honestly.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Some rumors/news I saw at criterionforum:

* "According to a trade magazine Criterion will issue a 20th Anniversary Edition of The Last Emperor. According to the same source this edition will include a new 4-hour cut prepared by Bertolucci exclusively for Criterion."

* "We do plan to release Vampyr on DVD at some point, but a release date has not yet been scheduled. Please keep checking back! Thank you for taking the time to write to us; we really appreciate your kind words and support."

Not Criterion, but related:

* "Sony will be releasing a SE [of Life of Brian] on Blu-Ray and 2-disc SD-DVD on November 6."

Badass, I've wanted to see Vampyr ever since I saw that shot of the dude holding the scythe.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I own:

The 400 Blows
8 1/2
Ace in the Hole
Army of Shadows
L'avventura
Bob le flambeur
Le Cercle rouge
The Complete Mr. Arkadin
Contempt
Diary of a Country Priest
Do the Right Thing
L'eclisse
F for Fake
Fanny and Alexander (theatrical)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Harakiri
I Fidanzati
Ikiru
John Cassavetes: Five Films
Jules and Jim
The Leopard
M
The Naked City
Night and the City
Notorious
Le notti bianche
Peeping Tom
Pepé lé Moko
Pickpocket
Pickup on South Street
Quai des Orfevres
Ran
Rashomon
Rififi
The Rules of the Game
Le samourai
Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Solaris
Thieves' Highway
The Third Man
Touchez pas au grisbi
Le trou
The Vanishing
Wild Strawberries
Yojimbo

Whoo.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Hm, I've been wanting to see Le Corbeau for a while.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Looking forward to all of those (FINALLY get to see Pierrot). Especially Last Emperor (FOUR disc set!) which I never saw when it was out despite all the buzz, but now that I know what Bertolucci + Storaro are capable of, I'm dying to see it.

Hell yes. Ever since I rewatched The Conformist I've been awaiting that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

Or how about a blacksploitation set from Criterion (I'd pay a lot for a Criterion Coonskin (1975) or Boss friend of the family (1975))?

NeuroticErotic would be alllll over that. But yeah, I want Criterion to start exploring other areas, like Hispanic and African films.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
God, Storaro is such a douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The editor for Roger Ebert's site reviewed Mafioso! when he was out recuperating from surgery.

Link