Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That being said, if you've never seen it, might as well hold out for the blu ray

This was my approach with Short Cuts. I waited so long that I finally said gently caress it and held out for the blu...which I now own, and ironically have no way of watching because my PS3 is broken. :v: But I'm working insane amounts of overtime this week so I'm ordering a PS4 next payday. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Vesi posted:

Heck yes, A Brighter Summer Day restoration exceeded my already high expectations so hard and now this!
With hopefully Hou Hsiao-Hsien movies coming next they'll have their work set for years.

I watched it a couple of days ago and good lord what a beautiful film. The clarity, depth of focus, lighting and composition in every shot is just perfect. There was something to drink in in every single scene. I really need to see the rest of Yang's work. Already seen and loved Yi Yi.

I sadly haven't seen any Hou at all.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Ghost World and Jeanne Dielman have both been among my most-wanted films for years, so I'm pretty hype. And Othello is excellent.

My only regret is that Taipei Story won't be stand-alone. Mysterious Object at Noon is a pretty cool film, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Definite upgrades (known to be in the works):

Le Samourai

yesssssss

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure where else to post about having just seen The Leopard. Anyone else see this movie for the first time recently? It really is fantastic, just one of the best looking films I've ever seen from top to bottom. Its about 3 hours long, so I recommend cooking Italian food on a lazy Sunday while you watch it.

Been a big fan of The Leopard since I first saw it about a decade ago; I really need to revisit it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It would appear that Taipei Story is screening in certain cities but I'll be damned if I can find any sort of list of where in particular.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, John Waters apparently confirmed more of his films are on the way from Criterion at a live show.

Thank god, I've been waiting forever to see some of his stuff because the current releases are so bad.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
sup Boogy

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Vesi posted:

Holy poo poo that's beautiful, hopefully they do Solaris one day too

You mean a full restoration? There's already a Criterion blu.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is the dog an Umberto D upgrade?:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd just get an Apple TV 4th gen for Filmstruck.

I see units for low as $100 on eBay if you don't care about 4K HDR or the remote (I use my phone).

I’ve been tempted to do the same, because I’m getting pretty sick of waiting for a PS4 app. It’s totally ridiculous that support for either system hasn’t been rolled out yet.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Dead Man
Le Samourai
Paris, Texas
Naked
F for Fake
Stalker
Solaris
Twin Peaks: FWWM
The Virgin Suicides
Woman in the Dunes

I might go nuts and get more, but those are the films that I feel like I absolutely have to own.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I am allllll over that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, if it's dreamboxes we're talking about :

WONG

KAR

WAI

God, yeah.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://www.instagram.com/officialspikelee/p/BwHxFVQH743/

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Origami Dali posted:

If you're depressed and casually browsing CC for something to watch, don't pick Sansho the Bailiff. Beautiful movie, but that was some Grave of the Fireflies level poo poo I wasn't expecting.

Sansho inspired one of my favorite quotes from a critic:

Anthony Lane posted:

I have seen Sansho only once, a decade ago, emerging from the cinema a broken man but calm in my conviction that I had never seen anything better; I have not dared watch it again, reluctant to ruin the spell, but also because the human heart was not designed to weather such an ordeal.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Blast Fantasto posted:

He has a great batting average. Only rarely put out a stinker (Miami Vice). You can jump in almost anywhere and find a good to great movie. Collateral, The Insider, Manhunter, Heat - all awesome. I even like Public Enemies.

Miami Vice is loving fantastic :colbert:

Sometimes I think it's my favorite Mann film. The digital cinematography is so mournful, like a hungover dawn. The whole thing feels like your heart anxiously beating in your throat. It's as if Malick or Wong Kar-wai made a cop drama.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yes! Thanks for digging up that essay, I read it years ago and haven't been able to find it since.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Enjoy the Barnes & Noble sales while you can. They’re definitely about to be strip-mined.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1137064471015383040?s=21

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Almost Blue posted:

I think that's an issue with Chaplin's estate, I remember seeing something a few years ago about how they want Chaplin's re-edits from the 70s in circulation over the original versions.

Which is why Criterion has to pretend that the 40s recut of The Gold Rush with the narration is the "definitive" version even while I'm certain that everybody that worked on that disc considers it a curiosity at best.

At least in this case it's "just" a new score, right? The Gold Rush is for all practical purposes a different film entirely.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Unmature posted:

What's the best way to watch Mr. Arkadin?

If you have a minute to spare...

https://www.jonathanrosenbaum.net/2018/12/the-seven-arkadins-tk/

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Having already seen and loved Wong Kar Wai’s In the Mood for Love and Chunking Express, what would be a good next step film to enjoy?

Fallen Angels is an obvious next step:

quote:

Originally conceived by Wong as the third story for 1994's Chungking Express, it was cut after he decided that it was complete without it. He instead decided to develop the story further into its own feature film and borrowed elements of Chungking Express, such as themes, locations and methods of filming. Wanting to also try to differentiate it from Chungking and to try something new, Wong decided along with cinematographer Christopher Doyle to shoot mainly at night and using extreme wide-angle lenses, keeping the camera as close to the talents as possible to give a detached effect from the world around them.

In an interview, Wong had this to say:

...To me, Chungking Express and Fallen Angels are one film that should be three hours long. I always think these two films should be seen together as a double bill. In fact, people asked me during an interview for Chungking Express: "You've made these two stories which have no relationship at all to each other, how can you connect them?" And I said, 'The main characters of Chungking Express are not Faye Wong or Takeshi Kaneshiro, but the city itself, the night and day of Hong Kong. Chungking Express and Fallen Angels together are the bright and dark of Hong Kong." I see the films as inter-reversible, the character of Faye Wong could be the character of Takeshi in Fallen Angels; Brigitte Lin in Chungking could be Leon Lai in Fallen Angels. All of their characters are inter-reversible. Also, in Chungking we were shooting from a very long distance with long lenses, but the characters seem close to us

2046 is a something of a spiritual (or otherwise?) sequel to In the Mood for Love, but I inexplicably still haven't seen it. Maybe the single oddest gap in my knowledge, given that I absolutely revere In the Mood for Love and especially Chungking Express, which I would say is one of my five favorite films.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The Channel just added a TON of awesome poo poo but what I'm most excited about is the chance to dip into Peter Greenaway :toot:

https://www.criterionchannel.com/newly-added

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Female Trouble is hilarious.

Yes. I didn't really dig Multiple Maniacs that much, but Female Trouble blew me away.

Really looking forward to Polyester, and (hopefully down the road) Pink Flamingos and Desperate Living.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

I'm a sick gently caress who prefers Fallen Angels to Chungking Express so I'm really looking forward to a Criterion release of that.

I wouldn't go that far but I finally revisited Fallen Angels the other night and, seen out of the shadow of Chungking, it's a loving amazing film in its own right. It has a very 90s-esque conception of "cool" but Wong is good enough to get away with it, not least because his characters are so weird and lonely and otherwise empathetic.

However: I also just saw 2046 and I think that might be my favorite of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

fenix down posted:

Thanks, I just signed up for Criterion Channel and was making a short list of some that aren't available streaming. It's The Leopard, Love Parade, Rebecca, Face in the Crowd, Make Way for Tomorrow, Unfaithfully Yours, and Crumb.

Gotta catch these on CC by the end of the month:
Seven Beauties
Swept Away
Gold Diggers of 1933

Thanks for the reminder, I need to watch the Wertmuller as well. Love & Anarchy was fantastic.