Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished the Three Colors recently. Of the three, I liked Red the most. Blue was a little boring, but still compelling. And White... well, I liked it, but I felt it seemed a tad misogynistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it was the character of Olivier; I found his scenes strangely dull for some reason. I loved just about everything else about Blue, especially the plot with the neighbor.

Anyway, it was a complete blind buy during that 50% off sale a while back and well worth the price.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually just finished Days of Heaven myself, though I rather liked it. The final scene felt a little strange, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
La jetée/Sans Soleil has taught me that I probably should not blind buy Criterions. I rather liked La jetée, but I'm quite sure I was not the intended audience for the other one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't have much to comment on amongst that list other than Le Cercle Rouge which owned a lot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't post much in this thread, mostly because while I have a fair amount of Criterions many of them are the obvious ones or blind buys that I enjoy but might not be knowledgeable enough about the film in question to discuss them. Fanny and Alexander was one such blind buy and I loved it. Made me seek out all of the other Bergmans available. So I definitely recommend that. Just, maybe, divide it up over a couple of days.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rashomon is a fascinating film that, while I absolutely feel is worth viewing, is a little rough around the edges compared to Kurosawa's other films. Mifune's acting in particular is a little too over the top, even for him. Still love it though.

Kagemusha is a little long in the tooth; you could edit out about 30 minutes without it affecting the story too heavily and the pacing would probably be so much better for it.

Can't go wrong with Ran though. The only thing bad about it is that the transfer isn't that great (also, isn't a Criterion sadly).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couldn't they have waited a few weeks for Hidden Fortress to come out :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pappyland posted:

Yes. I have yet to see Persona/Fanny and Alexander
Fanny and Alexander is a lovely, lovely film, so if you're willing to test the waters one more time with Bergman I'd recommend it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One of the films I picked up during this last sale was Thief, and wooooow that was a good film. One of my favorite criterions in a long time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only Kurosawa film I wasn't enamored with was Kagemusha, mostly because it's just too long in my opinion. I think you could cut out like 30 minutes and it'd be on par with the rest of his library. Anyway, Hidden Fortress is definitely a must-buy if you liked his other famous works. I haven't regretted a single Kurosawa Criterion.

On my own end I just watched Persona, not knowing anything about it other than that it was a famous Bergman film. While I loved Fanny & Alexander, Wild Strawberries, and Seventh Seal I found this one to be a bit impenetrable. Some of the imagery was very striking and memorable but the more time passes since I finished it the more I think I didn't really care for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of the Kurosawa Criterions are excellent and worth owning. I have some issues with Kagemusha I guess but it's still very good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Almost all of my Criterions are blind buys and I've only really regretted two: La Jetée/Sans Soleil and especially The Vanishing. The former just wasn't something I would've been interested in in the first place and the latter had one of the most unpalatable endings I've seen since No Country For Old Men.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They made me miserable. I don't like feeling miserable, if I can help it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That would've provided some much needed levity I think, yeah. Not sitting on your rear end by yourself on a couch with only your dark thoughts and maybe some alcohol to console you afterwards.

Anyway I think it's fine people like those movies but my main point I guess was that Criterions are usually safe to blind buy, at least of the 100+ I have I rarely regret buying any of them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chinatown owns, I liked it a lot! Fine line between misery and just depressing/tragic, I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Besides maybe my Kurosawa ones Fanny & Alexander might be my favorite Criterion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget, when criterion.com does its 50% off flash sales do pre-orders count? Assuming they do another one in Sept/Oct it'd be nice to grab Ikiru and Mulholland Dr..

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I saw that Apu, something I was definitely interested in as a blind-buy, was down that low so I just put it all together with one big pre-order since the prices worked out to be just about a flash sale's worth anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved Fanny & Alexander, one of my favorite Criterions. Persona is the only Bergman I wasn't totally in love with otherwise, though I still overall liked it. I forget which ones I'm missing, I know I've seen Wild Strawberries, Persona, and Seventh Seal at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Outstanding, been sitting on a decent sized batch in my wish list for a while. Well the Apu trilogy and Mulholland Drive I had to order separately a while back but they were dirt cheap on Amazon at the time so it all works out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Innocents is a great Criterion horror. I'm not the biggest fans of Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby but there are those too of course. Maybe Night of the Hunter? Though that's more thriller I suppose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm trying to remember, when you get up to 500 points for $50 off on Criterion's site do they usually send out the code right away? Looking ahead I think I need like ~80 to get the $50 so I figure I could do two separate orders during the next flash sale to take advantage of it at that time. But if it's a day or two later that wouldn't work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
drat, The Thin Red Line was good. I had seen it when it first came out but I think I was just too young to properly appreciate it. Shoots up to being one of my favorite Criterions for sure.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure what I expected from Repo Man, but it certainly wasn't that. What a fun film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Huh. So that was Mulholland Drive. Yeah, probably...probably going to have to rewatch that one a few more times. Enjoyed it immensely overall, of course.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having seen (and loved) Fantastic Mr. Fox a long while back and recently seen Moonrise for the first time, I think you made the right decision. Though Moonrise is still pretty darn good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really don't want to oversell it but I can't imagine someone not liking Seven Samurai, it's one I would consider putting in a greatest-film-of-all-time category and absolutely lived up to the hype. Have you seen or liked any other Kurosawa films? If so you probably know what you're getting into to a certain extent, just "bigger"/"better".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Rashomon but it's kind of rough around the edges, especially Mifune's over the top performance. Seven Samurai is heaps better I'd say.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even know High and Low was Kurosawa when I blind bought it; it wound up being my second favorite Kurosawa Criterion. drat fine film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Am I weird for liking Sanjuro more than Yojimbo? I love Yojimbo to pieces, but Sanjuro is hilarious and never fails to put a smile on my face.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite Kurosawa is still Ran though, because I'm a sucker for the way he used color.
I don't think I would place it above Seven Samurai but Ran is outstanding and probably my second overall favorite Kurosawa. I wish it was in the collection as the Studio Canal transfer is not all that great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

On Ikiru itself, god what a beautiful movie. Not uh, not a good movie if you're feeling blue and want to feel hopeful, especially in the second half when I just started to feel downright angry, but definitely one worth watching if you're emotionally prepared for it. It was probably less subtle about what the director thinks about bureaucracy than Brazil was, though.
For me, the second half is what sold the whole thing. The first half was good but also often hard to watch, but man watching the slow realizations of the characters in the second half about what really happened just tore me apart.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nate RFB posted:

I'm trying to remember, when you get up to 500 points for $50 off on Criterion's site do they usually send out the code right away? Looking ahead I think I need like ~80 to get the $50 so I figure I could do two separate orders during the next flash sale to take advantage of it at that time. But if it's a day or two later that wouldn't work.
To answer my own question, yep you get the code right away :toot: So on top of my first order today I was able to snag 4 more for like $9 more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The_Rob posted:

Does the free shipping for 50 dollars work with the sale, or does the actual sale have to be over 50 dollars?
Pretty sure the total in your cart after applying the sale code has to be more than $50.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For my own part I've been working through my sale order, finishing up about half of the Tati set and Yi Yi. I was pretty much floored by Yi Yi, that movie rocked.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trafic was greeeeeeeat. I'm honestly not sure if I prefer it or Playtime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So the Bergman Blu-rays I don't yet have are: Summer Interlude, Summer With Monika, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Magician, and Cries & Whispers.

Which of those might I like if I loved Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny & Alexander but was super cold on Persona and Autumn Sonata?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Seconding Smiles of a Summer Night, and The Magician's worth a gander too. Both have a lot of fun with gender roles, and while SoaSN is the better straight-ahead comedy, I had a lot of fun with the way The Magician works Bergman's transition from theater to film to focus on the trickery required for one and how it might transfer to the other. Plus, it gets to look at how Bergman was skeptical of his own atheistic skepticism.
Thanks, I'll probably pick up those two at the next sale. I'll see how I feel about Cries & Whispers at that time but it's tough because of all the Criterions I've wound up selling a lot were ones I didn't care for because they were just too dour. I'd like to at least give it a try, of course.

In other news, I completed the Tati set and that might be my favorite set of films in my collection. All of the movies were great! My favorites were probably the trio of Playtime, Trafic, and Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pretty good haul myself:

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
In a Lonely Place
Player
Bicycle Thief
Graduate
Gilda
Inside Llewyn Davis
In Cold Blood
Manchurian Candidate
Smiles of a Summer Night
Magician

I've actually never done the B&N sale since I'd usually buy from Criterion's own sales instead, but with 20% off today I saw no reason not to just clear the deck on my wish list since it's hard for me to imagine them going cheaper than that.