Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Noooo even though it wasn't out of stock when I ordered Dr. Strangelove got removed and refunded from my order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Awesome, guess I was lucky because I got a follow up e-mail that said Dr. Strangelove got shipped separately after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess I no longer have an excuse not to own Pan's Labyrinth. I mean I liked the film a lot just never got around to owning it for whatever reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, I never thought about something like End of Eva as a Criterion release and now I can't stop thinking about how cool it would be.

My list. It's actually missing about 10 or so that I wound up getting rid of for a variety of reasons.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

blue squares posted:

lists are boring; post pics
Fiiiiine. Though I mix my Criterions in with my regular BDs, like an animal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion release that this thread has universally gotten behind as, "yeah, that one's not so good." Every single one will have at least someone pipe up about it. For me that one is Sans Soleil, I loving hated it, it was 100% not something I would have ever gone out of my way to watch if it weren't a blind buy. I hate to use this term in this thread but it just felt so pretentious.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh speaking of which, while I liked it more than Autumn Sonata and Persona I still wasn't super hot on Smiles of a Summer Night. Mostly because of the son, who I found completely insufferable. I also got The Magician from the sale so hopefully at least one of the Bergmans I blind bought is a keeper.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not all of these are films I actually regret buying, but looking through my Criterion order history I've wound up selling or trading a whole bunch:

Children of Paradise
Autumn Sonata
Late Spring
The Vanishing
Umberto D.
La Jetée/Sans Soleil
Vivre sa vie
Band of Outsiders
Persona
Pickpocket
Walkabout
La dolce vita
L’avventura
Branded to Kill
Jules and Jim

That's the risk with blind buying I suppose. With the exception of Sans Soleil though all of them were films I'm glad I watched, just wish they had been rentals instead of buys I suppose.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Late Spring is one I do regret parting with in retrospect because I loved Tokyo Story and I think I would've warmed up to it plenty enough to want it as a complement to TS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Breathless I definitely loved, that was magical. Band of Outsiders and especially Vivre sa vie weren't really my sort of thing but I still liked them well enough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, I'm real glad I decided to watch Bicycle Thieves before I watched The Player.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think Bicycle Thieves is criminally boring.
It has some amazing humanistic qualities, I found it pretty compelling myself. Can't say I loved how it ended but it's probably a film that could not end any other way either though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved Metropolis but I had probably the most miserable experience ever when I saw it for the first time. It was back when the full/uncut version was making the rounds in some theatres and it was getting shown at Coolidge Corner in Boston, but it was like in the middle of summer and the AC had broken. So it was a viewing spent in a 90+ degree theatre packed with people for 2.5 hours.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have decent amount of unreleased titles queued up for the next sale, but for things that are actually out now I only wound up getting Pan's Labyrinth/Chimes at Midnight/Woman in the Dunes. Would've gotten Dekalog if I had been a bit quicker, but alas.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cacator posted:

As far as atmospheric horror goes I was very impressed by The Innocents.
Yeah this one is great, I love just about everything about it though I'm very lukewarm on the ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since you can pick preorders for B&N, I picked up Akira Kurosawa's Dreams and Dekalog. I literally have no idea what to expect from Dekalog, it's basically a blind buy, but based on comments in here from the initial Criterion sale in October it sounds like a great release.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there any reason to not watch the film versions of Dekalog 5 & 6 instead of the TV series ones?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Coaaab posted:

Dekalog Six & A Short Film About Love have different endings. Don't know enough about A Short Film About Killing to tell you if its merely an extension of Dekalog Five.
Kind of sounds like I should just stick with the regular series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure I'm really feeling the Dekalog. Probably mostly through no fault on its own, it's just that something so heavy and melancholic is not exactly what I need in my life right in the wonderful year that has been 2016.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely feel as if I've hit a crossroads in my Criterion buying. It's not exact the most noble of reasons but a decently large reason I started in the first place was that I simply wanted something to take advantage of my HDTV and felt that older films in HD were far more impressive and interesting than a modern film coming out on BD. Having become quite disillusioned in recent years over the product that is modern film it was an added bonus that I was able to broaden my horizons and see a lot of films that I had either never heard of or would not have otherwise watched.

But with me watching the Dekalog and becoming convinced early on that it was probably destined to get sold off as soon as I finished it, I've taken a step back at my collection and realized that obviously a huge number of these I'll never rewatch and in some cases actively would not want to even if I did love a lot of them. I've come to understand more or less what kinds of Criterions I actually enjoy enough to want to keep a copy of and what kinds I can usually appreciate but not actually enjoy all that much. Like the Dekalog is just fine, good performances, good plots, good direction, but I'm just not able to connect with something like that emotionally that I'd want to ever rewatch it. So why own it? Far better to just stream it.

So as I look ahead to a 2017 where I'll probably sell off a good 20 more Criterion BDs, and more and more often find myself not really interested in new releases, and in general entering an age where anything that catches my eye I'll probably just stream, this might be it for me and Criterion BDs. Of course there are some that I'll still buy without question, such as any new Kurosawa release.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm rolling the dice a little bit on Before Trilogy. Nothing about the synopsis sounds like it'll be up my alley, but it seems like it's "the one" of this particular sale so I have to at least give it a try.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah I am always willing and able to sing the praises of High & Low. I didn't even know it was a Kurosawa when I bought it and yet it wound up being one of my favorites all time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can appreciate the genesis and general thoughts behind the idea of the films in the Before Trilogy, but sadly it very much worked out to be just not the types of movies I have any interest in. I watched all three and know for certain I will never watch them again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of the three I've only seen Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, but I thought it was a lot of fun and enjoyed it a lot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Eh nevermind, went with Stalker/Tampopo and They Live By Night.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 11, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you don't buy His Girl Friday you should autoban TBH
I really didn't care for HGF, the main lead was extraordinarily manipulative and creepy in a way that made it hard to find the comedic situations actually humorous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I strongly disliked His Girl Friday, am I just as likely to dislike Philadelphia Story? The synopsis is for all intents and purposes the same, at first blush at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I rewatched Repo Man recently with two friends who had never seen it before and their sides were splitting with laughter by the end. Such an amazing movie and HDS will be sorely, sorely missed. RIP Brett.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rebecca was the first film from the sale that I put on and it was the closest I've ever come to stopping a Criterion halfway out of sheer boredom; thankfully the second half more or less completely saved it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow, it's insane how much better Blow Out was than Blowup. I wound up selling Blowup back but I was on the edge my seat throughout most of Blow Out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I held off on Silence of the Lambs for years, because previously the only other Lecter thing I had been exposed to was the Ridley Scott Hannibal movie which I detested. Definitely glad to have finally corrected this from this flash sale because it was well worth the wait.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sans Soleil was the Criterion that taught me that I should probably be at least a little bit more careful with blind buys. Cool that other people are able to enjoy it but it is 100% not a film I was ever going to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Due to life kind of getting from me for a while I really haven't had a chance to keep up with new Criterion releases for a decent stretch, is there any easy way to see something like, "here are all of the releases of the past year"? The new releases page on the site only covers a small window.