Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Slackerish posted:

BUT WHAT ABOUT NOTORIOUS :(

How much are you willing to pay for a used Notorious? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
It looks like Bottle Rocket may finally come out from Criterion since the Wilson Brothers mentioned it in an interview (as posted on the Criterion Forum site).

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters also seems to be in the works (also on CF). The Warner DVD is apparently great (16x9, both English and Japanese audio, Paul Schrader commentary, 1985 featurette, and the trailer). However, it's out of print. It seems to be owned by Zoetrope and/or Lucasfilm.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The Lady Vanishes is a sale here. While I haven't seen a lot of British Hitchcock films yet (mainly because I don't want to see them on the loving awful public domain discs), this is my favorite of them. I hate getting into the "what's next?" routine, but I do hope that Criterion has more Hitchcock in the pipeline. Putting the excellent Selznicks in print would be great since I really want Rebecca. Then I can sell Slackerish my Notorious DVD for $50 :ssh:

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Battleship Potemkin is finally coming out, but from Kino instead of Criterion. It seems to be a really spiffy release, though... check out my DVD thread for the full specs.

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 19, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
The BluRay and new DVD editions from Sony will have the two commentaries and the deleted scenes.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Fuller's White Dog is basically confirmed in the Eclipse newsletter this week.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

IronDragon1 posted:

Maybe I'm just biased because of my slanty eyes but I can think of few films which would benefit from an augmented re-release than The Last Emperor.

The current Artisan (now Lionsgate) DVD has one of the worst transfers ever put out by a studio. It's also out of print.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

r-lam posted:

Picked up Throne of Blood and Army of Shadows this weekend. This is my new and improved collection of Criterion films

The 400 Blows
8 1/2
Army of Shadows
Au Revoir, Les Enfants
Bicycle Thieves
Brazil (142-minute director's cut)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Hamlet
The Last Temptation of Christ
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Notorious
Rashomon
The Royal Tennenbaums
The Rules of the Game
Le Samourai
Scenes from a Marriage
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Spartacus
The Third Man
Throne of Blood

I still feel as though this is terribly incomplete

Lots of great films in that bunch, though.

I just have The Passion of Joan of Arc, M, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, Notorious, The Third Man (SE), Seven Samurai (SE), Diabolique, Pickpocket, 8 1/2, F for Fake, By Brakhage, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic (2-disc). I used to own The Third Man (first edition), The Hidden Fortress, and the Brazil 3-disc (hoping to replace it with the remastered edition). I'd have to take out a loan to get all the other Criterions I want.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
According to a post on Criterion Forum, MGM films licensed are the result of a deal for commentaries. So, apparently for each commentary they licensed from Criterion (like one on Raging Bull), they licensed out a film. House of Games is the first. There's apparently 4-5 films and only one will be new to DVD. No Billy Wilder or Stanley Kubrick titles are in the deal.

It seems to be speculated that Salo is one of them (part of UA), The Thief of Bagdad is confirmed.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

Josef von Sternberg silents are in the works. This probably means that Criterion has at least The Last Command (1928, starring Emil Jannings) from Paramount. Paramount also owns Underworld and Docks of New York, too.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like the Ernst Lubitsch Eclipse set will have four films:

The Love Parade
Monte Carlo
One Hour With You
The Smiling Lieutenant

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

elcapitanqwerty posted:

Figured you folks might like to know that I'm selling some Criterion films in SAMart.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2668497

quote:

Yes, I checked Deep Discount DVD and the prices I'm offering are lower. Check if you care too. If you're buying a few, rounding the price down a bit is fine.

8 1/2 $26
Amarcord $24
Army of Shadows $24
Chasing Amy $12
The Double Life of Veronique $26
F for Fake $28
Jules and Jim $28
he Life Aquatic (one disc) $15
Mr. Arkadin $30
M (two-disc) $26
Man Bites Dog $22
Monterey Pop $22
Naked City $22
Naked Lunch $26
Ran $25
Royal Tenenbaums $12
Playtime $25
Ugetsu $26

You need to check DVD Planet too. While most of those are good prices, you're asking for higher prices for your used DVDs than sealed brand new ones. Also, DDD has Mr. Arkadin for $32 sealed (free shipping), while it would cost $1 more for your used copy after shipping.

Back when I sold my first editions of The Third Man and Brazil, I went with lower prices even though they were like new. The Third Man went for $15 and Brazil was $20.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

The new newsletter indicates that The Thief of Bagdad (1940) is coming. I've only seen the 1924 version.

The February releases should be announced today or tomorrow.

I'm guessing The Red Balloon/White Man (double feature) can be expected, too. If Bill Plympton is featured, I wonder if that means Criterion is planning to release a DVD of his work. Perhaps a set of all of his short films?

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I saw the old Fox Lorber DVD of Pierrot le Fou in a film class and it looked terrible on the big projection screen we used.

Also, the old Artisan DVD for The Last Emperor has to be seen to believed:http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/lastemperor.htm

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 16, 2007

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I'd really like to see Criterion finally work on some animation. Ever since they started to work with Paramount, I've hoped they can get the Betty Boop cartoons. In fact, they could do a full-on Criterion with the Betty Boop shorts, then release an Eclipse set with the rest of the Max Fleischer catalog owned by Paramount (Koko the Clown, Talkartoons, Color Classics, the two features Gulliver's Travels and Hoppity Goes to Town, and some other odds and ends).

Although, it'll probably be more realistic to expect Criterion to do something like an Eclipse set of Ralph Bakshi films.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like The Last Emperor will be cropped from 2.35:1 to 2:1 per Storaro's preference for 2:1

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=422

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

God, Storaro is such a douchebag.

I understand his reasoning, as it adds a little more resolution, but it's not much. Sorry for the irrelevant image, but it has the varied levels of detail for a comparison:

Does the 2:1 image really look sharper enough to justify the cropping? Looking at Apocalypse Now, he cropped to 2:1 for sharpness, yet still applied a lot of edge enhancement to fake sharpness.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
March Criterions:

Mafioso (1962, Alberto Lattuada)
Antonio Gaudí (1984, Hiroshi Teshigahara)
The Ice Storm (1997, Ang Lee)

- 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
- Dolby Digital 1.0 mono

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- A 1996 interview with director Alberto Lattuada by filmmaker Daniele Luchetti
- New video interviews with the director's son, Alessandro Lattuada, and wife, actress Carla Del Poggio (Variety Lights)
- Italian and U.S. theatrical trailers
- Stills gallery of promotional caricatures by artist Keiko Kimura
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- $29.95 MSRP

- 1.33:1 standard
- Dolby Digital 1.0 mono

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- New video interview with architect Arata Isozaki
- Gaudí, Catalunya 1959, a short film by Hiroshi Teshigahara featuring footage from his first trip to Spain
- Monitor: Antonio Gaudí (1961), a short film essay by director Ken Russell
- VITA, a short film by Teshigahara on the sculpture work of his father, Sofu Teshigahara
- Original theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by art historian Dore Ashton, and reprinted writings by Hiroshi and Sofu
- $39.95 MSRP

- 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Ang Lee and director of photography Frederick Elmes
- Audio commentary featuring Lee and producer-screenwriter James Schamus
- New documentary featuring interviews with actors Joan Allen, Kevin Kline, Christina Ricci, and Elijah Wood
- New video interview with novelist Rick Moody
- Deleted scenes
- Footage from an event honoring Lee and Schamus at New York's Museum of the Moving Image
- Production designs and sketches, with commentary by the designers
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Bill Krohn

$39.95 MSRP

and Eclipse Series 9....

The Delirious Fictions of William Klein

- Who Are You, Polly Magoo? (1966)
- Mr. Freedom (1969)
- The Model Couple (1977)

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
December newsletter is out and the hinted film is Anthony Mann's The Furies (1950).

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
http://www.criterion.com/blog/index.html

Criterion explains The Last Emperor. It turns out that the shorter 165 min. cut is the real director's cut and the 4-hour cut was part of the contract for allowing a 4-part miniseries to be shown. So, it'll have both the theatrical cut (director's cut) and the extended director's cut (really the television version). Of course, Storaro supervised the 2K transfers.

It's also worth mentioning that a bare-bones DVD will be out from Image around the same time.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I didn't even know many Japanese silents existed. Still, the Eclipse series was a great idea. With the first ten volumes, they'll have 40 films put on DVD. I sort of wish they would go a little faster with an Eclipse every month (I want the Sternberg silents), though.

Mike_V posted:

This is kind of an aside, but I don't really understand the love for Jean Gabin. Granted, I've only seen Pepe Le Moko, but I was pretty underwhelmed with him (and the whole movie actually) and was wondering what other films fans of his would recommend.

I didn't like Pepe Le Moko, but he was awesome in Grisbi. Grand Illusion is one I need to see, though.

(Edit: Looks like this month's newsletter hint is for Jacques Tati's Trafic! I wonder if this means Jour de Fete and Parade will come out at the same time...)

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 17, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Wow, The Red Balloon is a definite buy if it's only going to be about $9 retail. I sort of expected Criterion to do a double-feature with White Mane since they would fit on a single disc plus supplements.

Not sure if it's been posted before, but here's the Janus Films trailer for the theatrical double feature: http://www.janusfilms.com/redandwhite/Red%20White%20Trailer%20Large.mov

The restorations look flawless.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Worst case scenario: Consensus threads in GBS mean bitchkilla will register 30 accounts just to make Loose Change #1.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/lastemperor.htm

Review/Comparison for The Last Emperor. Not really sure if it's a movie I'd like to see, but it really does look visually stunning.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
I'm bored:

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion is certainly dragging their heels with the May announcements. Used to be announcements always came by the 15th, or at worst the next business day. Here we are at about quitting time on the 19th and still no sign of the new titles. Hopefully this means they're cooking up something big.

They're announcing that Salo will be their first BluRay, but they're waiting on the custom brown colored cases. :v:

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2008

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Funny, I just mentioned that as a possibility over at criterionforum.org. Not that it would be in this month's announcements, just that it (or another title due for re-issue) would be a good first Criterion Blu-Ray.

I've only started reading that forum and I have to say that the posters there are hilarious. Too bad they don't seem to allow new registration anymore.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

th1rdeye posted:

Any word on whether they plan to release anymore Malick? I recently bought the gorgeous Criterion Days of Heaven, but I'm holding off on Badlands because I have a feeling it's just around the corner.

Criterion won't get Badlands since it's WB and they don't license out. But they'd probably get around to a SE eventually. Fox licensing The Thin Red Line is the only other likely one.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Hilarious because they're so uptight about packaging, or hilarious because they're always trying to out-snob each other? I rarely post there, I can't stand most of them. However, it's a good source of info like this:

Both. At least they're not overrun by poo poo threads like on a few other HT forums, but the Criterion/Eclipse speculation threads read like a 20 page BYOB circlejerk.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

cryme posted:

I really wish they would start releasing some more obscure poo poo. Ideally at least one release per month should be something I've never (or only rarely) heard of.

Now that they have the Eclipse line, the Merchant Ivory series, and the budget short film discs for The Red Balloon, etc. - it wouldn't be a bad idea if they would put out bare-bones discs of whatever else they have. Basically, if they're planning a full-on Criterion, an Eclipse styled single disc would be like a work in progress without the extra digital work and supplements.

If the bare-bones is $10-14, it won't be a big deal when the more expensive $25-35 full-on Criterion comes out. Warner Bros. did this with Blade Runner by releasing the bare-bones remastered '92 director's cut for $9 a year before the ultimate 4-disc and 5-disc sets.

At least this method would get films that have already have decent remasters existing like stuff already released in R2 or have been shown on TCM.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
To be fair, Image DVDs are only as good as what materials they get. Same for the Milestone label, as this was a very early release for them. A lot of their early DVDs are still quite good like the Hearst-licensed Flash Gordon serials.

Image once had to distribute all those early Kino DVDs, which Kino keeps repackaging a decade later.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Straw Dogs is going for huge prices just used, so get it if it's only $30. Probably can make money if you re-sell it.

Horseface posted:

There are also situations like the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame where the source material sucks - all 35mm copies of the film are gone and they had to work from 16mm. So even though it's supposedly remastered and whatnot it's only going to look so good.

Most of the silents Image released were from Film Preservation Associates, who usually does great work. Hunchback had a very early DVD, but a remastered SE came out recently from a new 1080i digital restoration.

Licensing is a really scary prospect since there's always the danger that you're stuck with a crappy transfer. Criterion has been fortunate to avoid that for the most part since they're so picky (besides the lousy first editions of M and Salo). Even the big studios get lemons like Paramount licensing to Lionsgate an atrocious VHS-quality transfer of The Quiet Man. At the same time, Lionsgate recieved flawless remasters from StudioCanal for their Hitchcock, Godard, and Bunuel sets.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
A post on criterionforum.org sort of hints at Criterion getting Ossessione.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Every time I've used DVD Planet, they've been great.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Someone on criterionforum.org confirmed that Criterion has the rights to The Private Life of Henry VIII, among other Alexander Korda films. I can't find the thread with the blurb, but it was from a Criterion email reply.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Criterion updated their listing for Mishima:

- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the director's cut, supervised and approved by director Paul Schrader and cinematographer John Bailey
- Optional English and Japanese voice-over narrations, the former by Roy Scheider, the latter by Ken Ogata

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Eclipse newsletter stuff:

- The Delirious Fictions of William Klein has been moved to April 8 instead of May 20.

- Until midnight on April 7, Criterion's online store will have 30% discount on all Eclipse sets, including the Klein and Silent Ozu sets. Code: NCAA

Just from checking DVD Price Search, the 30% deal will actually make all of the sets the cheapest online. For example, the Lubitsch Musicals set would cost $33 while it's $40 cheapest at DVD Planet (Criterion's online store price is $47). Of course, there's a $5.95 S&H cost for anything under $50.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005

I Am Awful posted:

Gonna have to argue with your math there, Og. It's just an extra 10% off their usual 20%, basically making it free shipping and handling and that's about it.

You got my hopes up for a second, too. :(

drat, I read it as being a 30% coupon on top.

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
July looks like a stellar month!

Mon oncle Antoine, Trafic, Vampyr, and High and Low - all two-disc editions. Vampyr will also have a book with the screenplay and original source story.

Mon oncle Antoine (Claude Jutra)
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Michel Brault
- On-Screen: “Mon oncle Antoine,” a 2007 documentary tracing the making and history of the film
- Claude Jutra, an Unfinished Story, a 2002 documentary that attempts to unravel “the Jutra mystery,” featuring interviews with Brault, Bernardo Bertolucci, actors Genevičve Bujold and Saul Rubinek. and actor-director Paule Baillargeon
- A Chairy Tale, a 1957 experimental short codirected by Jutra and Norman McLaren
- Theatrical trailer
- Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
- PLUS: A new essay by film scholar André Loiselle

SRP: $39.95
Street date: 7/8/08

Trafic (Jacques Tati)

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
-- In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot (1969), a two-hour documentary tracing the evolution of Jacques Tati’s beloved alter ego
-- Interview from 1971 with the cast of Trafic, from the French television program Le journal de cinema
-- “The Comedy of Jacques Tati,” a 1973 episode from the French television program Morceaux de bravoure
-- Theatrical trailer
-- New and improved English subtitle translation
-- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Jonathan Romney

Street date: 7/15/08

Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer)

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the 1998 film restoration by Martin Koerber and the Cineteca di Bologna
-- Optional all-new English-text version of the film
-- Audio commentary featuring film scholar Tony Rayns
-- Carl Th. Dreyer (1966), a documentary by Jörgen Roos chronicling Dreyer’s career
-- Visual essay by scholar Casper Tybjerg on Dreyer’s influences in creating Vampyr
-- A 1958 radio broadcast of Dreyer reading an essay about filmmaking
-- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, Martin Koerber on the restoration, and an archival interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg, as well as a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul’s original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1871 story “Carmilla,” a source for the film: Vampyr

Street date: 7/22/08

High and Low (Akira Kurosawa) - special edition

-- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with newly restored original
four-track surround sound
-- New audio commentary by Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
-- A 37-minute documentary on the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
-- Rare archival interview with Toshiro Mifune
-- New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapper
-- Theatrical trailers from Japan and the U.S.
-- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a reprinted essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
-- More!

Street date: 7/22/08

Vampyr is as good as bought on my end. Is Trafic recommended to anyone (like myself) who liked the other three Hulot films?

Og Oggilby fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Og Oggilby
Feb 12, 2005
Vampyr looks slightly "Hot Topic" but if tapping the teen goth crowd boosts sales, more power to Criterion.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?