Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

GonSmithe posted:

House, and The Seventh Seal.

These are both in my top 5 movies of all time, you are in for a treat. Repo Man has to be my other 'must have'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Starscream posted:

I can't help you out as I already own Sanjuro and love it, but I too have a trade offer: I have two copies of Rashomon on BLU and am looking to unload one, still sealed. Anyone?

How much for it shipped to Ohio?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Anyone have an idea of when the next sale is? I have some money burning a whole in my pocket.

Are the coffee mugs half off during their sales, or just movies?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm bummed I didn't purchase in time for the tickets..

Picked up Eclipse 24: Dramas of Allan King and for $13 I figure Blue is the Warmest Color wasn't a bad purchase.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Received my package today! I'm surprised how quick it came for being free shipping. I don't know what I expected, but the mug is so-so. It's nice and all, but the logo would easily scratch off. Kind of wish I would have used the money to buy another movie, but oh well, there is always next time.

When is the next B&N sale? I have full blown Criterion fever now

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

How do you say "Criterion"? I don't know any 'movie people' so I can't recall ever hearing anyone say it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Ha. I didn't figure I was saying it right. I had been putting my midwest/southern spin on it and say "CRIT-air-un"

"Hey You'uns got any of dem CRIT-air-un movies"

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Cross posting from the DVD deal thread..

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Not really a Criterion specific question, but are older films only able to be improved and 'cleaned up' to a certain degree? For instance, does the current DVD release of The Bicycle Thieves present the material as best as possible? I know nothing about film restoration, but I imagine that the original source material for most films made in the first half of the last century create a 'ceiling' for restoration capabilities

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I can't imagine how awesome it would be to do that all day.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Safe Driver posted:

Me too, they could add in some other public domain horror titles and make a cute lil boxset.

Isn't Carnival of Souls public domain? It was one of the first Criterion discs I purchased.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Ratedargh posted:

On a related note, I've never grabbed an Eclipse set...which ones are among your favourites?

I haven't seen many, but I watched and enjoyed everything in the Sam Fuller set. I wish The Steel Helmet would have gotten it's own spine though

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

A goon posted some Criterion movies in the BR deal megathread today.. Nothing I'm buying , but maybe someones interested

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3027311&pagenumber=131

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I don't like some of Burton's later films, but The Spy Who came In From the Cold is really good. I regret not buying it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Kind of what leokitty said, go into Tinker Tailor knowing it's going to command your attention. I wasn't watching close enough in the beginning and was lost the rest of the way through.

The Spy who Came in From the Cold is an easier watch.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Woooo. Cross post from the BR mega-deal thread. Thought I would share, I've been watching this release for a while and this is the cheapest I have seen it.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

RustedChrome posted:

I wish I had friends who like Criterion films.

So true..

I blind purchased The Ballard of Narayama at the B&N 40% off Blu Ray sale tonight. I was more interested in their Scream Factory releases, since the Criterion 50% sale can't be too far off, and 40% is the best discount I have seen for Scream Factory

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

spotix55 posted:

I'm exited about the Special Features. It comes with Six short films of David Lynch and I am a fan so This will be the first criterion I Preorder.

I wonder if they will be the same that appeared on The Short Films of David Lynch? That would be ok

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

So, in excitement for Tuesday and the (hopefully) 50% off sale, what titles are on you shopping list?

Mine are:

Persona
The 400 Blows
All That Heaven Allows
Stagecoach
Red River
White Dog
Make Way for Tomorrow (why isn't this BR?!)

Runners up include some potential blind buys: Judex and Riot in Cell Block 11

Also, I doubt it, but will we be able to pre-order titles at 50% off?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I was thinking that, but so far I haven't had much luck with my store having the ones I want in stock. Will the 50% be on Criterions web site too? If I have to order, I would rather order through them and get the points

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Old Ash posted:

Any suggestions, from the list below or otherwise? (I already own usual suggestions like House, The Night of the Hunter, and Repo Man, and I'll be picking up Close-Up for myself and A Hard Day's Night for my dad.)

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

Or should I just wait for the Demy boxset?

The Ballard of Narayama, Ministry of Fear, I Married a Witch, Jubal, Letter Never Sent, Gate of Hell, Summer Interlude and The Uninvited are all typically $5 cheaper than others for some reason. I've seen and recommened the highlighted ones.

Most of the favorites in my collection are still only on DVD.. Bicycle Thieves, Passion of Joan of Arc and Make Way for Tomorrow.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Oh man, I haven't seen that movie, but I would be right on that. Somehow westerns have grown to be one of my 'top 3' genres.

Now if Criterion was able/would get around to releasing High Noon

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Pappyland posted:

Nights of Cabiria/Amarcord/La Strada/every Fellini film, for the most part
The Qatsi Trilogy
Every Wes Anderson film on Criterion
Crumb
Hausu
Phantom of Liberty
Harold and Maude
Being John Malkovich
Jacques Tati (e.g. Playtime)

Hausu should be one of the first Criterions anyone buys.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Cloks posted:

If you're a collector you should grab 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Stemberg, as it's going out of print.

If that's at your B&N, you should snatch it up and resale, regardless. There isn't one that has it in stock within 100 miles of me, and it is not offered for sale at B&N's website.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

robix smash posted:

V77UV8XLGE4JS worked for me. basically covered the tax for my Seven Samurai and L'eclisse order. (Add your most expensive disc first and add the code, then add whatever else you want to order.)

I guess it's one code per person, as that one says it is already used. If anyone has one they are not going to use, I'll take it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Swagger Dagger posted:

I hope you can get through Shoah. I couldn't.

Why not? I had to break it up into 3 or 4 viewings (more due to outside commitments than anything else), but other than that I found it mesmerizing and emotional. The running time was not near as intimidating as it seemed it would be

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I will confirm that Kuroneko rules. Picnic At Hanging Rock is also good and definitely worth a watch, but not one I am picking up anytime soon. That's just my opinion though, I know many really like it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

#732: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (BR/2-disc DVD, Oct 14)

•Lux Radio Theatre adaptation from 1947 starring Henry Fonda and Cathy Downs

Are there other Criterion releases that feature old-time radio counterparts? I love OTR and think this is an awesome bonus

Also, hooray for My Darling Clementine

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I, too, could use one if anyone is passing on theirs. I didn't receive one

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I think the Sam Fuller set is also well worth the money, and relatively cheap.

Here it is the 19th of the month, and I am just now making it to B&N. I picked up two less popular titles, but one's that I have been wanting:

The Uninvited
Beauty and The Beast

They actually had the White Dog DVD in stock too, which isn't one I see too often. Wishing I would have grabbed it now, but Half Price Books was also having a 30% off sale too, so I was trying to spread my funds out.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Thats quite a list! Thanks!

I have a large list of $19.99 (during 50% sale) movies I want, so I keep talking myself out of Red River. But the fact it is dual format, includes the novel and has the OTR broadcast makes it well worth the extra $5. I'm going to try and pick it up before the sale ends next month

I've seen The Devil and Daniel Webster, but wasn't aware that there was a broadcast version, yet alone “Daniel Webster and the Sea Serpent,”. Sounds like something I need to look into

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

How quick is the shipping from B&N's website? I don't know if I will be able to make it back to the store before the sale is over and I'm really wanting Red River

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has a few Criterions on sale for 50% off: ...

Also, Monsieur Verdoux

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Some more Amazon deals

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Cloks posted:

Seems like this works on everything in the cart, so there are quite a few Criterion Blus that are $13.29 each.

Edit: That's probably exactly what you meant; I thought you were talking about just The Small Back Room. D'oh!

:stare: Oh God I do not need this happening right now. However I'll be damned if I'm passing on Red River for $22 shipped

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 24, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

friendo55 posted:

Appreciate the feedback and yea I'm thinking Journey to Italy seems like the one I need to see most. I'll do that and go from there. Thank you!

I forget the last time I've asked this during these sales, but are there any Eclipse sets that I could use this extra 20% on? Any that are must-owns?

I really enjoy the Sam Fuller set, and it's one of the cheaper ones.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I did even better than the B&N sale, Half Price Books had there 50% off your most expensive item sale and I found the BR of Charade and got it for $10. A total blind buy, but can't got wrong with a $10 Criterion BR

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm not sure about that one, but Burroughs: The Movie showing the night before looks terrific.

I've never been inside the Wexner, but passed it many times. Maybe I will get lucky and get to see some of these in February.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Welp, I too wasnt planning on purchasing but that deal was just too good..

I was only going for Eraserhead , but you have to spend $25 to get free shipping. I couldn't decide between Gold Rush and Two Lane Blacktop, so bought both. Merry Christmas to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

e; claimed

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 9, 2014