Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is going to be CC release. Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I like them too but the ones I got from Amazon were all bent so they look lovely on a shelf.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

So are the Weinsteins just huge irl trolls or something

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wow, I was sure Kwaidan would win. Every Blu-Ray forum I went to had people saying they voted for it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

A review I saw said both were the same length, but shorter than what was on TV.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Is it any good? I haven't liked any of Soderbergh's movies for years.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Alright, sounds good.

Reviews of the Marienbad Blu-Ray are popping up. Looks fantastic.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=4775&show=review
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare11/last-year-at-marienbad.htm

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

There's some other Monterey Blus as well

http://www.criterion.com/films/722
http://www.criterion.com/films/720

I guess I'll save some money that month.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I'm not sure why there's any reason not to shop Amazon for Criterions. The difference in price doesn't make the "Have it now!" feature worth it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Well really my main point was why would you even think of shopping B&M for Criterions

EDIT: How could you suggest DVDPlanet for Criterions over Amazon so hard when most of them are like $3 more than Amazon

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 16, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

It looks like Paramount may merge/buy The Weinstein Company, so maybe that'll fix the problems with Ran.

Oh, ugh. They also might release it themselves and a lot of their catalog Blu Ray titles are slathered with DNR.

Although the HD master for Ran is probably done already.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

substitute posted:

Deep Discount has free shipping on everything.

Yeah, it's not the costs that suck rear end, it's the time it takes to get your stuff :buddy:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Well it might just be a glitch. It's included in the sale page, but it and some others haven't had the discount applied.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

Go to your local B&N. They had EVERY criterion 50% off. All of the boxsets and blurays too. But, when you see all the glorious movies sitting in front of you it is pretty hard to not buy a poo poo ton of stuff.

Yeah, but they don't have a bunch of stackable coupons like BN.com does :(

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Also you can get 10% cashback with Bing: http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stores.aspx?scope=cashback&FORM=CBFS07

So in all if you're a member that's 80% off.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Uh, I hope this is an error or something but the latest batch of Blu-Rays have an MSRP of $50.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Really the only titles I'm fairly sure will be on Blu-Ray are the Kurosawa movies and the Wes Anderson movies, and even for the former I'm not sure about all of them.

I do 100% expect The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic in the next year or two, though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Does the NO to 16x9 mean they're non-anamorphic too?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Am I crazy or didn't they already announce that

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I was surprised to see that I already received my Third Man case today. I have no evidence to back this up, and I'm probably wrong, but it seems a little thinner than the other cases.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

Can you take a picture? Or have they released pictures of the cases?

Yeah, I'll do that in a couple of minutes.

Stupid moment: I looked inside and was initially miffed that they didn't send a booklet. Then I realized I had it already :sweatdrop:

E:

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 17, 2009

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Like I said, I was probably wrong.

I think the spine threw my eyes off since Repulsion's logo has some space above and below it, creating an illusion of thickness.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I did, he said he wanted pictures though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cats Don't Dance desperately needs a DVD release.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt just mentioned how he got multiple non-WoD titles, including Complete Monterey on Blu-Ray so I don't know what you guys are talking about

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fun posted:

It says they are supposed to be on the B&N TV/Movies front page, but it is clearly not the case so I don't know what's going on.

Last time around it took awhile for the online Blu prices to change.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

You don't trade it in, you send $5 and they send you a case. All they have right now is The Third Man.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

What's the point in censoring the names when we can easily find that

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The blue sky clearly indicates a new Criterion Blu-Ray of Armageddon

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I ordered 2 Blu Ray cases on the 28th, forgot about it, and TODAY I get a notice that they're out of stock. :toot:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I just caved and bought Fantastic Mr. Fox on Blu-Ray today, so expect Criterion to announce it in the next year or so, speaking of double dips

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

According to people at cf.org, Lee Kline let it slip that they're working on Something Wild and The Darjeeling Limited.

Finally, Jeff Daniels' magnum opus will be in HD.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

They're probably saving Hausu for October given the theme of the month, along with Videodrome and (hopefully?) Kwaidan.

oh christ my loving poor bank account

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I guess this is an appropriate place to ask, is the StudioCanal BRD version of Ran any good, or is it worth it hunting down the Criterion version?

The SC version is dogshit. Criterion never released theirs because those faggots told them they couldn't. I think it was like a few weeks before its release, too.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I remember that there was a B&N sale sometime before Christmas last year (maybe November) so if you can wait a bit longer...

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I brought only one coupon since I was planning on getting the Yojimbo/Sanjuro two pack, but the guy said it wasn't in their computers. He went onto the Criterion site to verify its existence so he wasn't being a douche about it but :argh: Barnes & Noble :argh:

Still, averaging to 16 each isn't so bad.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I think every Blu Ray that came in a digipak has a replacement case.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why is Kirk Douglas' name bigger than Kubrick's? That doesn't seem right, or even necessary considering the cover's already a big picture of Douglas.

Might be required by the studio or something

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

This makes me sad

quote:

Or Do the Right Thing. I remember Ernest Dickerson saying to us, on the original transfer, “Redder, redder, redder.” The instinct was not to go that red because it seemed too far, but that’s how he shot it and that was the intention, and it’s easy to back off the red to be safe.

e: Well that's what I get for going and doing something before hitting "Submit Reply"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

i am not so sure posted:

Also hahaha at Babel on Criterion

I misread that as Babe at first

Criterion needs to release Babe.