Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
I don't check this thread often because, while I admire what Criterion does, I don't generally have a lot to spend on blu-rays these days. That being said, I am more excited for "Night of the Hunter" on blu than any other blu that's been announced to date. For the last two decades I've exclusively seen this on VHS until a few months ago when I happened to catch an HD broadcast on MGM HD. Looked great!

I have mixed feelings about Videodrome's pending blu-ray release. That movie has everything that I love (twisted plot, really fun effects, James Woods, Cronenberg, > 90 min. run time) but for some reason I can't watch it. I owned Criterion's DVD release but never watched it so I sold it. Now I find myself contemplating purchasing the blu. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could chime in and push me one way or the other here and apologize if this has been discussed previously in the thread.

Same with Hausu. I've seen it. It's obviously really crazy and, based on my tastes and the other movies in my collection, it qualifies as something I should love. I guess I just don't "get" it's following. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
I hope it is Broadcast News. I just watched it again for the first time in about two decades on Netflix Instant and it's better than I remember. I'll buy almost anything with Albert Brooks in it.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

ProfessorClumsy posted:

It strikes me just how short these videos are. If that were me, I'd be in there for hours with a huge bag.

I'm sure that film directors with money and a passion for cinema already own just about everything they want that Criterion has released already.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
I have been trying to resist Videodrome because, while I really enjoyed the movie, I never get an urge to watch it. I already bought the last Videodrome release and sold it a few years later because I only watched it once. Now I want to buy it again. :doh:

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
It's taking every ounce of my willpower not to pull the trigger on Night of the Hunter.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Maybe a dumb question, but why is Greaser's Palace not included in the Downey Sr set? it's the only one of his movies (that I've seen) that I've actually enjoyed and no one else seems interested in releasing a decent version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I think Scorpion Entertainment still has the rights (their DVD version came out in November 2010).

What?! A DVD has been released since the crappy, non-anamorphic Image DVD? Thank you for the heads up! I'll check that out.