Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I only have four Criterions: Brazil, Robocop, Silence of the Lambs, and Monty Python's Life of Brian, but I don't think they're worth much more than what I paid for them.

Unless you bought "Robocop" after it went out of print, I'd say you could get a pretty penny for it. Still, I wouldn't sell it.

The only two Criterions I have are "Seven Samurai" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". Both excellent. I'd love to get my hands on "Haxan" though, especially with Halloween coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I really don't see how the Criterion Robocop is worth all that much anymore. For a while it was the only way to see the full uncut version so the $40+ price on eBay was worth paying. But ever since the Robocop trilogy box was released with the uncut original it's pretty much been worthless to pay the extra cash for the Criterion.

The only differences I am aware of are that the Criterion has storyboards and is Verhoven's preferred 1.66:1 instead of the theatrical 1.85:1. For me, it's not worth paying the eBay prices for the one movie when I can get the same thing plus two other movies (granted this is not much of a seller, except for comedy purposes) for a fair amount less. Image quality is also about the same if not better on the trilogy DVD, for anyone who was going to mention it.

It's not the content that matters really, it's the fact that it's the Criterion Collection edition and that it's out of print. That's all it needs to be a hot item.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I went ahead and bit the bullet on "Haxan". If everything goes right, it should arrive by/before Halloween.

Also, those new Akira Kurosawas look might tempting.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

My copy of "Haxan" came in the mail today, and just in time for Halloween too. :dance:

I've been contemplating hitting Barnes & Noble for the Criterion Collection edition of "Equinox". Can anyone here attest to its awesomeness?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

vertov posted:

I really like it, but it's not something that everyone will enjoy. Here's the trailer to satisfy your curiosity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UlPPId-o

edit - as much as a I love the movie, the trailer is so much better. "A story that defies logic!"

[big rear end echo]EQUINOX![/big rear end echo]

I think I'm in love. This movie just screams Halloween! Sold.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Og Oggilby posted:

B&N is going to rip you off. I've seen copies in Best Buy for $28.

I've found that Best Buy stores in major cities keep a lot of Criterions on hand. Although, I'll be impressed when I can walk into a Wal-Mart to pick up the Louis Malle box set.

Best Buy only has a few Criterions and not the one I was looking for ("Equinox" of course). You might be able to find a few films in the Criterion there if they are more widely recognized ("Dazed and Confused", "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", “Seven Samurai”), but the more obscure ones are out of the question.

Also, I just watched "The Equinox: A Journey Into the Supernatural" and holy crap was that cool! I can't wait to watch the re-release!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

They have renewed the rights to Salo and are working on a new transfer. Coming 2007.

So much for the Criterion version of Salo being so very coveted. This new edition will most likely have a far better transfer and perhaps some extras.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

bmmello posted:

Bought Equinox.

You wont be disappointed. :)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

vertov posted:

DeepDiscountDVD is having a 40% off sale on Criterion titles. Say goodbye to your money!

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

Yojimbo/Sanjuro for $42? Hello!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

lastclearchance posted:

Am I the only one who found this really funny?

What part? That he only suspects that "M" is a great film or that he doesn't seem to know that it's in the public domain and he can download it for free at archive.org?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Og Oggilby posted:

The Archive.org version is the same as the old Criterion... while the 2-disc Criterion used a fresh 35mm print made off the restored camera negative. So, you get it for free, but for a reason...

This is what I meant. Of course, if you want the Criterion Collection for all it's extra features then by all means get it, but if you're only getting it because you want to see the movie, you can legally see it for free over the Internet.

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh god what to buy. I'm gonna limit myself to one; I could buy Le Notti bianche (which I've seen and love), or go with something I haven't (namely Bicycle Thieves, Yojimbo, Au hasard Balthazar, or Band of Outsiders). Bah.

I know how you feel. I had to stop myself from splurging on "Pandora's Box" and the three-disc version of "Brazil". I have car payments to make dammit!

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 2, 2007

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zandert33 posted:

"Drunken Angel"? I really love that cover.

Personally, I loved the cover to "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". The picture on the website doesn't do it justice as it makes it looks to be more colorful than it really is. When you get the actual disc you can see that it has a much darker tone giving it a bold and striking look.

I was looking at the first page of this thread from late 2006 to read that I only had two Criterions back then ("Seven Samurai" three-disc reissue and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"). poo poo's changed a little since then...

* Seven Samurai (Three-Disc Reissue)
* Brazil (Three-Disc Special Edition)
* Yojimbo
* Sanjuro
* The Third Man
* Haxan
* Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
* Ran
* Equinox
* Pandora's Box
* Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I've got a birthday coming up soon and I've been interested in picking up the "Samurai" trilogy. Can anyone here testify to it's awesomeness?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Are you talking about the Musashi Miyamoto films with Toshiro Mifune, or the Rebel Samurai pack?

The Musashi Miyamoto films.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I picked up three new Criterions today: "If...", "Man Bites Dog", and "The Hidden Fortress". I've seen "Man Bites Dog" before, but I haven't seen the others. "If..." was very nice and, even though I haven't seen "The Hidden Fortress" yet, I'm certain that it's wonderful. I mean, Kurosawa directed it for crying out loud!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm just going to come out and ask it: is Salo worth it? I've been on the fence about seeing it for years now, but I've never brought myself to actually seeing it (the limited availability plays into it as well).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Goddammit! They're re-releasing Ran on Blu-Ray? First they did The Third Man, then they did it for The Last Emperor and now this? Why are they re-releasing the Criterions I already own on DVD for Blu-Ray now? :cry:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

morestuff posted:

Still not a perfect solution, but this should ease the suffering a little:

Nice, but the Blu-Ray version of The Last Emperor isn't the extended edition is it? I know for certain that I'll be holding on to that one.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

CRAYON posted:

According to the website The Seventh Seal bluray isn't eligible for the discount. That kinda stinks.

Nooooo! I had my heart set on that one. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Bought Fritz Lang's M, Ugetsu, Tokyo Story and Vampyr. I'll get The Seventh Seal later. Nice.

CRAYON posted:

Go to your local B&N. They had EVERY criterion 50% off. All of the boxsets and blurays too. But, when you see all the glorious movies sitting in front of you it is pretty hard to not buy a poo poo ton of stuff.

My B&N didn't have The Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray. :(

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

CRAYON posted:

I picked up The Third Man, The Seventh Seal, The 400 Blows, Bottle Rocket, Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge, Army of Shadows, Videodrome, and Brazil 3-disc. The guilt hasn't sunk in quite yet.

If it does, just pop in that pimp-rear end copy of Brazil you got and let it wash away. I have the same boxed set of Brazil myself. It's oh so very nice.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Maybe you should buy M so that they will announce that :)

Don't you dare! :mad:

When I bought The Third Man they later announced it for Blu-Ray. Later, they did the same thing to me when I bought Ran. I just bought M today and I'll be damned if they screw me over thrice!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm a whore guys. :(

I went to the website, bit the bullet, and ordered The Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray anyway. Also, I got Videodrome because it's been ages since I've seen it and I also got Jigoku because I've always wanted to watch it. I almost considered getting Red Beard and/or The Bad Sleep Well because I realized that I haven't bought any Kurosawas this time, but I stayed my hand. In a strange twist of irony, I almost ordered the novel Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa which was what the Samurai trilogy films were based on (which I also purchased from a previous Criterion sale).

I can see why this sale is so short. Any longer and they'd have me on a leash like a meth addict.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I was SO close to getting El Norte, but I don't think I'll watch it more than once. Great movie, but not the most rewatchable unfortunately.

This is why I never got Salo. I know that I'll never be able to bring myself to watch it a second time. Hell, I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to watch it all the way through the first time. :gonk:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

I ended up buying $250 in DVDs (and one Blu-ray) from the Barnes and Noble sale, and it's really really hard not going back and picking up more. Picking Scenes From a Marriage against Life and Death of Colonel Blimp was murder.

And I'm thrilled for Wings of Desire on Blu-Ray, and I'll probably get the Dusan Makavejev Eclipse set, though I own five of the bloody things now and haven't watched more than a few off each set. Bah.

I know how you feel. I stopped by Barnes & Noble again today to buy a book and, again, I had to stay my hand. It's so drat tempting. :(

Still, $250? Wowzers.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The Lucas posted:

I am broookkkeee but I had to pick up Seven Samurai and Bottle Rocket.

You're never too broke to buy Seven Samurai. :colbert:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Question: Is Vengeance Is Mine any good? I like a good crime drama and it sounds like it would be up my alley, but I'm not too sure.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

It's not really a crime drama, but I wouldn't call it a family drama either. It's a lot like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if that gives you any frame of reference.

I see. I'm wondering because I've already made up my mind that I'm going to get F For Fake and Time Bandits but I want one more thing. For some reason, I'm craving something with some action and/or suspense to it so I'm kind of leading myself into a blind buy, but I don't know what I want exactly. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cacator posted:

If you want suspense, go with The Vanishing.

Heh, I was considering The Vanishing, but it sounds like it would be a major downer. Also, is the Criterion version of Time Bandits really that bad?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I haven't seen it but it's non-anamorphic, so probably.

Yikes. Well, scratch that then. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Hijinkz posted:

Which criterion movie has the best/most special features/documentary/interviews? I have $40 B&N gift money to spend and it's so hard to choose. :(

I personally prefer the three-disc special edition of Seven Samurai, but that's mostly because I'm totally gay for Seven Samurai. Regardless, it's an excellent selection.

EDIT: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is great too, especially given Hunter S. Thompson's commentary track.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zeroordie posted:

Seconded.

Also, did my ps3 just die? seriously? It won't turn on, blinks red lights. A google search confirms the obvious. It must have seen the box by the door that had my Last Year at Marienbad blu-ray in it. Excuse me, I have veins to open now.

Did you recently switch out the TV you were using? Sometimes the PS3 shits itself when you change TVs that have different HD resolutions and you have to boot it up the hard way.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zeroordie posted:

No, nothing has changed, although I have experienced that before. When I try to turn it on it starts blinking a red light and nothing else happens. :(

Well, I hope you don't have to get the thing repaired. :ohdear:

I have a friend whose PS3 recently bricked and Sony is going to charge him for the repairs (as opposed to Microsoft whose poo poo breaks all the time).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

Action? Geez, I dunno. Outside of more Kurosawa I can't think of anything that's really very actiony that I'm familiar with.

The Criterion used to have Hard Boiled and The Killer and those were excellent action flicks as was Robocop. Since they lost the rights, I don't know what else The Criterion has as far as modern and conventional action pictures go. The Rock maybe? Speaking of which, was The Rock included in the sale? I didn't see it and I believe it's still in print.

I guess the folks at The Criterion Collection should look into getting some more modern action flicks.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

DevCore posted:

I found a copy of The Rock at Half Priced Books, but I need to clean it off so it'll play 100%. And I've looked for it while working at B&N but for some reason it's not in our system, so I just assumed it was OOP.

Strange. The Criterion Collection website says it's still in print. Hell, you can buy it right there from the site. Perhaps Michael Bay, even in Criterion form, is too passe for B&N? :v:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

penismightier posted:

Word of advice: think of the whole two discs and the essays as a giant multi-media making of piece, with the film as a special feature. If you go in expecting a great film, you'll be disappointed; if you go in expecting an amazing story about the love of moviemaking, you'll be elated.

Yeah, Equinox is a very cheesy film (in a fun MST3K kind of way), but when you study the special effects and how they were pulled off you realize that it's a surprisingly clever picture. Very fun. :)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I keep trying to get out but they pull me back in. :(

I got Andrei Rublev, For All Mankind, Solaris and The Hit. I'm tempted to buy The Rock somewhere just for shits and giggles.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I have a question: has anyone here seen the Criterion’s transfer of The Blob? As someone who proudly owns a Criterion Collection version of Equinox, it seems like something that would be fun to own. However, DVDBeaver doesn’t seem to have any info on it so I don’t know much about the transfer.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Looks good, apparently.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews11/the_blob_.htm

Son of a bitch! I searched for "Blob" on their site and nothing ever came up. What the hell? :psyduck:

Thanks anyway. I appreciate the help.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

What the heck. I've been on Criterion's site a billion times and was never before aware that they released the motherfucking Blob. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's one of the many oddities of their library and I've never seen it available in any store I've been in. My local Barnes and Noble will sell Salo, but God forbid that The Blob would be available for purchase. Regardless, it's been in the Criterion for a while and it's never gone out of print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

495: The Golden Age of Television

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET

* The live kinescope broadcasts of Marty (1953), Patterns (1955), No Time for Sergeants (1955), A Wind from the South (1955), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956), Bang the Drum Slowly (1956), The Comedian (1957), and Days of Wine and Roses (1958)
* Commentaries by directors John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, and Daniel Petrie
* Interviews with key cast and crew, including Frankenheimer, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, and Mel Torme
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by curator Ron Simon and his extensive liner notes on each program

Sounds like it could be fun. Also, I didn't know that Gimme Shelter was slated for a Blu-Ray release. I've been contemplating getting it and if this is the case I'll hold on getting it until it's rereleased.

EDIT: Also, I looked up Gomorrah on YouTube. Looks interesting. Strange, it doesn't look to be as slow a film as everyone says it is.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 15, 2009