Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Real close to J'ing off to this Punch-Drunk Love and The Squid and The Whale news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Barnes and Noble sale has begun. I've reserved a copy of Blood Simple. I'm looking for maybe one more noir or neo-noir to add. Here are the ones I currently own:

Braned To Kill
Tokyo Story
The Third Man
Ace In The Hole
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
The Night of the Hunter
Kiss Me Deadly
The Killing
Anatomy of a Murder (Not really a noir, but close enough)
Odd Man Out
Only Angels Have Wings (is this noir? I haven't watched it yet.)
They Live By Night

And I'll be picking up Le Samorai when it comes out.

No one said Thief? Thief, man! Thief!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

You posted this just in time as I was gonna go pick up La Samorai today and was thinking about what second movie to pick up. :waycool:

You’re in for a treat. One of my favorite movies and I’m glad Criterion was in charge of the Blu-Ray, it’s gorgeous!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m an idiot and didn’t realize how quick this would be over and all I wanna do is get Seventh Seal in my basket and check out. They’re getting slammed, ugh.

EDIT: Backorders don’t apply? Guess I’ll have to wait for Election.

Never saw Blood Simple or Stalker, so I’m pumped for those. And look forward to rewatching The Seventh Seal!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 14, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Those are probably two of my top-5 Criterion releases ever, so you're in for a treat.

gently caress yeah! For some reason, I haven’t seen much early Coens aside from Raising Arizona. Stalker has been on my radar for the last year so you’ve got me more jazzed.

What are some of everyone’s favorite non-Kurosawa foreign picks?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

“The Silence of the Lambs” is gorgeous. I still need to jump between the Criterion and the old release, but it’s obviously much better. Such a good movie. Something I’ve appreciated the last two times I’ve watched it is how Demme displays the sexism Agent Starling receives. Also the use of POV shots during some of those sequences.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Well, it should be a fun weekend.

Man, does my phone take terrible pictures.

I'm thinking of upgrading my non-HDR 50" Vizio to an HDR-capable model; looks like it's only about $550, and while it obviously isn't going to do much for these discs other than what you get out of more local dimming regions, there are a number of 4k/HDR discs out there I'm interested in. Of course, then I'll need a 4k/HDR Bluray player, and a new receiver for 4 passthrough ...

Thief is loving impeccable and Silence is a huge step up from its previous release. I got a copy of "Night of the Living Dead" waiting at my parent's, never seen it before but that deal was too good to pass up. They had to delay but we're gonna watch "Blood Simple" this weekend. Very pumped for that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Anyone else find Filmstruck overwhelming? It feels like Time Enough At Last but instead of my glasses breaking I'm unable to pick any single film.

This was exactly why I didn’t watch Criterion on Hulu. Just so many options! When Hulu announced that Criterion was leaving, I got upset but then was like “wait... I literally NEVER used it”

I hope Criterion releases Z on BluRay sometime. It’s such a good movie and would be super fitting for the world today.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I push Thief every time a Criterion sale comes up. It’s currently on Hulu if you still haven’t seen it!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m thinking

Election
Squid and the Whale
Seven Samurai
Scanners
Being John Malkovich
Videodrome
Rosemary’s Baby

I’ve never seen Scanners or Being John Malkovich, but why not pull the trigger on em?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

If you like Blow Out, check out the movie it’s based on: Blow Up. Really good, super minimal. Just a really neat movie.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Pulled the trigger on everything but Seven Samurai, Dazed and Confused, and Scanners. They haven’t jumped down in price but if they do, then I’m on it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

For some reason Scanners is still showing 4% off, is there anyway for me to send a ticket? I want it cheap, dammit!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I pulled the trigger on Seven Samurai and Dazed & Confused. I hope I don’t succumb to any more. My will is weak.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Rififi owns so hard and just shows how lovely modern cinema is. There’s no way you could do a movie now where there’s like a half hour w no dialogue. Just a great film.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I just really want Criterion to get Z and put it out on BluRay. One of my favorite films and would be so appropriate for now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Costa-Gavras has been supervising new 4K restorations of his films, so it's just a matter of time.

Oh word? That’s a day one pre-order for me. I realized the DVD I’ve seen of it is p poor. If anyone here hasn’t seen Z, DO IT. Today. Don’t wait. Incredibly relevant and just so good.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Got Scanners for $14.88 (uhhhhhh). Way cheaper than I was hoping from B&N if they fixed the price. So, I got everything I wanted! Hot dog!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I have plenty of time but dedicating 2.5-3 hrs is always tough. It’s why Stalker has sat so long. drat chores.

But first time I saw Magnolia I was on mushrooms. It was awesome. Around the 2.5 hr mark where everything starts colliding and this and that, I was like “holy poo poo this movie will never end. “ and then it kept going.

I’d love a Criterion for There Will Be Blood. The current disc is pretty barebones, even if it looks and sounds great. I wanna know more about the production, etc. The 08 Oscars are when I gave up, PTA was robbed.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I would kill someone for commentary tracks. Anyone. Even... you.

I need to rewatch IV. Each time, I was falling asleep and I didn’t really take it in. Still need to see Phantom Thread.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Parallax posted:

criterion selection standards are fake and any movie can be a criterion

Case in point: Chasing Amy

Oh and Punch-Drunk Love is so underrated and I lost my poo poo when it was finally announced on Blu, let alone Criterion. It saddens me that Sandler recoiled away from that. I mean, he has some real dramatic stinkers but PDL and parts of Click and The Wedding Singer shows he’s got chops.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Here are some movies that rhyme with Corey:

Paths of Glory, Tokyo Story, True Stories....Victory...

Thank you for this

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Mahasamatman posted:

Starting a movie collection with that flash sale. Andre Rublev, Stalker, and Night of the Living Dead were my buys. Brazil, Fire Walk With Me and Hoop Dreams almost made the cut, and I was tempted to buy Repo Man having never seen it just on word of mouth from people I respect. Gonna squirrel away some overtime money for the longer sale whenever that is.

I believe the next big sale is November so get to stacking!

Repo Man rocks. It’s weird, it has heart. It’s very unique in its influences, that specific time in 80s California hardcore punk culture.

If you’ve never seen it, consider Thief. One of my favorite all-time movies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I saw Hausu/House on Halloween w no prior knowledge aside from its trailer. A loving fever dream. Absolutely insane.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Ordered the Ingmar Bergman set from Best Buy. Had them price match Amazon. Figured this might interest one or two folks

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

November releases have been pushed back a week except for Bergman.

This is true. My copy of Cinema shipped yesterday!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’m going w “True Lies,” because I wanna see it on BluRay.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Ingmar Bergman set is truly a thing of beauty.

It really is. Mines damaged, but I’ll get around to that next week. I think I’m gonna go through everything chronologically!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

When you look at the careers of Bergman and Kurosawa, is there anyone that prolific today that isn’t mainstream? Spielberg has made a lot of movies, but he’s not really a courageous director, technically or in his subject matter.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

wanda is one of the best movies ever

I’m excited to check it. The local “micro-cinema” had trailers for it for months, and the week that they had it, I was sick.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Has anyone worked w Mulvaney at Criterion? I sent him an email a few days ago and haven’t heard back. I don’t expect to hear back until maybe later this week considering the holidays, etc but wanted to see if people had an idea for a timeline. Thanks!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

poo poo, I was gonna do a bunch of Kurosawa as a local theater did a Kurosawa/Mifune series that was great. Had to miss Hidden Fortress due to weather so that was on the list. But I also really want a BD of Stray Dog. I guess I can hold off if there’s gonna be a payoff like that. At some point I’ll grab House. If anyone wants a fever dream on celluloid, House is a great one.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Buy the Bergman box.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Saw Solaris the other day at my local theater, but this is the only place I can think of to talk about it.

I liked it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I went w Solaris, The Game, Police Story’s, and Fire Walk With Me. But I went through Best Buy and had them price match. Gonna be a good week.

As always: BUY THIEF!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 3, 2019

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

HOOOOOUSE

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Hirsute posted:

I've actually been alternating Bergman with my first-time viewing of the Fast & the Furious franchise, those movies are pretty fun palate-cleansers!

And you've learned a lot about family!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s one of my dad’s favorites and I have his DVDs ripped of it. But I never took the time... something to double-back on.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The color timing is weird, of course, but you can maybe make an argument for its intended effect.... but WHY the cropping? That's so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Maybe Criterion just does movies w/ dead directors from now on??