Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
After seeing Chungking Express last week and it was the new cut, I think I might grab Memories of Murder. I know it’s similarly controversial with its color retouching, but I’ve never seen it and I’ve heard it’s a hell of a movie.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I did it.

RE: Chungking, I think the use of Dreams is supposed to be one of the controversial changes. Like in a previously silent scene. But I kinda liked it. I thought it was a juxtaposition of California Dreamin’. A romantic dream, vs a dream of somewhere else.

I had no idea what the movie was going in to the theater, so the shift from part 1 to part 2 threw me off a bit. But overall, great!

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 3, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Thief is always a guaranteed good time!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Get Thief if you like Heat a lot.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I watched Army of Shadows.

When I watch a movie that's about the French resistance, I expect at least one scene where a beautiful French woman rides a bicycle with a basket full of groceries on the front but then it turns out that under the groceries there's a gun or a bomb or some documents or something. Not only does Army of Shadows not have any scene anything like that, not having that scene is clearly the whole point of the movie.

So it was disappointing. Army of Shadows was a bad blind-buy.

You want some dope resistance cinema involving the French? Battle of Algiers!

And speaking of French films involving a resistance: God, I hope Criterion can do Z in the next couple of years.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I wonder what the standard MSRP for a 4k Criterion is gonna be.

I’m guessing $40-45. The BDs retail at $27.99 out the gate, right? Maybe… $37.99?

Fake edit: actually, with it being a combo, I’d say $40+ is more likely if they’re charging $28 for a standalone BD.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

caught it at a local theater that shows lots of classics and indies, etc. but Night Moves is worth checking.

Of its time, but definitely a great detective story.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Looks like they pushed back the Uncut Gems release a month and made it a UHD release too.

This is how I win.gif

Also loving right, I can’t imagine how good this is going to look. I’m so pumped. What a great year it’s been and will be for this hobby.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I need to rewatch Blow-Out, but I really liked Blow Up compared to it. The apartment and park, the house party/concert... just very memorable.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

As someone who has not owned Miller's Crossing yet... nice.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

also watched Kurosawa's Kagemusha for the first time last week, jesus christ this film is stunning

Got to see this on 35mm last week, beautiful colors. So annoying that every movie these days has the same look and muddled color scheme.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Apparently Le Cercle Rouge also has a new color grading that is not well received.

What is going on? I haven’t followed physical releases until the last few years, but it seems like Criterion is piling up issues left and right in a way that they haven’t before. Both technical and w/ regards to changes in content.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Memories of Murder was great. High recommendation. Being aware of the change in color made it hard to ignore. Definitely very… green. At the same time, I felt like it accommodated the film well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Looking forward to the twist w Raging Bull UHD is that it’s colorized.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I mentioned earlier that my local Barnes and Noble had reduced their Criterion selection to a single book case. I was so angry at the fools at Barnes and Noble, that it didn't occur to me that that reduction in selection would have another ramification come sale time. We're in day 2 of the sale, and around 25% of the Criterions that were there three days ago are now gone. I was there just the other day for the Arrow sale, and I looked at the Criterions to think about what I would want when that sale started. But since they now only have room for one or two copies of each title, most of the movies I was planning to get were sold out by the time I arrived.

I understand that there are bigger problems in the nation right now. But I still feel like this needs to be addressed by someone with the power to change things.

If you were gonna buy a couple, what’s the issue of using shipping for free via B&N?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

James Caan died. Go get Thief if you haven't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Arsenic and Old Lace is a ton of fun and worth getting.