Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
Final haul:
- Throne of Blood
- The Player
- In a Lonely Place
- Night of the Hunter
- L'Avventura
- La Dolce Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

blue squares posted:

Have you seen this before? I blind bought it and suspected it was going to bore me just based on what I'd read about it, but it was so good and engaging.

It's a blind buy for me too! The premise, a couple of reviews and high praise on blu-ray.com led me to it. I'll put it on top of the watchlist.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

Cloks posted:

I'm interested in third man just to watch it. I'd happily pass it along once I've seen it.

Or get this. It's region free and the transfer is just as good as the Criterion (if not better). Here's the blu-ray.com review.

quote:

The 4K restoration is excellent. Some of the improvements in terms depth and color gradation may not be immediately noticeable, but the larger your screen is, the easier it will be to see that the film now has a much better balanced appearance. Generally speaking, edges are better defined and a number of close-ups look cleaner. Contrast levels are also better balanced (compare screencapture #6 and screencapture #10 from our review of Criterion's out of print release). Some of the most obvious improvements, however, are with shadow definition, and plenty of the nighttime footage now appears a lot more nuanced (see the very dark close-up in screencapture #3). Grain is well resolved and tighter, but in some areas it could be difficult to see the difference. In fact, there are various segments where the better balanced contrast levels actually make a bigger difference (compare screencapture #13 and screencapture #4 from our review of the Criterion release and screencapture #22 and screencapture #5 from our review of the Criterion release). There is some mild unevenness before, during and after select transitions, but overall image stability is actually improved. Plenty of flicker and sporadic light warping that were present on StudioCanal's previous release are also eliminated. There are no large debris, cuts, torn frames, or damage marks. All in all, I prefer the overall better balanced appearance of StudioCanal's release and I think that at this point it is unquestionably the best one on the market. (Note: This is a Region-Free Blu-ray release. Therefore, you will be able to play it on your Blu-ray player regardless of your geographical location. For the record, there is no PAL or 1080/50i content preceding the disc's main menu).

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

The Apu Trilogy got delivered today, but some corners and edges were ruined during transport. I've looked at B&Ns Return policy, but it isn't very clear about replacement. Anybody got experience with this? It looks like you can only contact them by phone, but I don't really want to call from Europe.

http://i.imgur.com/uS6ycfo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bZKfsPS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PWkyhHy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j3Ids0U.jpg

GoldenGun fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 10, 2016

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

E.G.G.S. posted:

You can get a full refund through their online chat support. I bought Brazil from them a few years ago and it looked like a dog chewed the case up and a disc was missing. They just refund you the money or you can roll the dice for another set since they will not accept international returns.

Sounds good, will try that. Thanks!

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

I only got Antonioni's Blow-Up for now due to a lack of money. Gonna get Stalker from Amazon UK because shipping it from there to the Netherlands is faster and costs about the same.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

Cloks posted:

Il Sorpasso
Bicycle Thieves
La Notte
L'Avventura
Life Aquatic
Ghost World
My Winnipeg
Martin Scorcese's World Cinema Project Vol. 2

Watching the second season of Master of None may have guided my purchases a bit.

I assume you already have La Dolce Vita then?

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

Ordered these online:
- Silence of the Lambs
- Ali: Fear Eats the soul
- A Man Escaped
- Naked

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Huh, awesome, I had no idea that was happening.

Since they're doing both during the same week, should someone who's never seen Fanny and Alexander start with the TV or theatrical version?

I’d say go for the TV cut. It asks a bit more of your patience but it’s by far the best version. It flows much better, characters are more rounded out and you won’t miss out on some marvelous, crucial scenes (like Alexander in the attic, more great stuff involving the bishop and the retelling of the dream at the end)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

I'm thinking of just getting The French Dispatch on iTunes, because, like Isle of Dogs, it probably won't see a physical release in 4K anytime soon. Of course this means that Criterion will announce a 4K set of all of Anderson's films the second I purchase it.