Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Man, I forgot about tax. Tax sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Went a little crazy and got...

The Great Dictator
Solaris
Kiss Me Deadly
Le Cercle Rouge
Army of Shadows
Pale Flower
Sweet Smell of Success
Night of The Hunter
Double Life of Veronique
Paths of Glory
M
Playtime
Mystery Train
Last Year at Marienbad
The Leopard

All blind buys except for Great Dictator and Solaris.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Does anyone have a list of all the coupons currently available? Is there just the %15 off one item and 10% off entire order?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Seriously. If any of the films you want are digipacks, do yourself a favor and go to the store. B&N packaging sucks major balls. My copy of Night of The Hunter looks like it was sat on by a fat man. I'm going to have to go to the store and exchange it if I can.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Jeeeez. I'm not sure how I feel about the ridiculous amounts of misogyny and sadism (even for a noir), but Kiss Me Deadly was definitely the craziest noir I've ever seen. The twist came totally out of left field...so bizarre and awesome.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Coupons can be used on The Music Room and Beauty and the Beast on the B&N website now, for anyone interested. I just bought the gently caress out of The Music Room.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

I discovered Satyajit Ray last year and was really disappointed when I found my only options were those absolutely atrocious DVD transfers. Seriously, this criterion looks miraculous. It's hard to believe it was even possible to clean up the negative that much. I can't wait. I hope the Apu trilogy will be forthcoming.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

I watched Black Narcissus tonight and didn't like it very much at all. I'm not Indian, but the way that it portrays India feels so false and stereotypical. I understand that the world wasn't so globalized back then, but watching it now, it just comes across as mildly offensive. It feels like...this bland mishmash of all the trite Hollywood notions of Orientalism from the time. It really took me out of the moment.

The hammy acting of the English actors playing Indian characters, the themes of western christian piety in battle with the primal sensuality and paganism of [insert your Hollywoodized "exotic" land of choice here], and the score that contrasts its operatic style with the tribal drumming of the natives, so barbarous and primitive, constantly eating away at the emotional stability of the nuns...

The score is really what gets me the most. I can't get over the part where the Indian drummers are actually shown playing tabla, but what we hear is some kind of ominous stereotypical tribal jungle beat. The composer would have done well to watch The Music Room.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

FancyMike posted:

The same Music Room that was made over a decade after Black Narcissus?
Huh, I hadn't realized it was made in the 40s. It's a beautiful looking film, I'll give it that.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

That cover art rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

Just cleaning house and dug my little Criterion collection out of the closet. Think I'll regret selling any of these down the line? I went a little nuts on a B&N sale back in 2010 but gone all digital for the past few years. :\

8 1/2 (sealed)
    Beauty and The Beast
    Black Narcissus
    Charade
    Diabolique
    Last Year at Marienbad digipak (sealed)
    Le Cercle Rouge
    M
    Night of The Hunter digipak
    Paths of Glory
    Pierrot le Fou (sealed)
    Playtime